MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2014, 11:33 AM   #1
silent11

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2007 Honda CBR600rr - SOLD

Really? Marquez equals Mick Doohan's record.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a MM fan, and winning 12 races is a feat, but why are all the commentators and news articles saying he equaled Mick Doohan's record?

Nobody is mentioning that Doohan accomplished 12 wins in a 15 race season. Marquez did it in 17, and has a chance to surpass the record in his 18th race this season. How is that more of an achievement?

I guess this isn't unique. Quarterbacks with record breaking passing yards, are also playing more games than their predecessors did.

stoopid records.
silent11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mick Doohan PSA SBK Pilot Taking it to the Track 2 11-05-2009 09:00 AM
mick doohan psa loosenoose General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 11-04-2009 10:14 PM
Mick Doohan turning on the charm...... Grinchy Taking it to the Track 3 01-07-2009 11:06 AM
Mick Doohan - Valentino is the best Grinchy Taking it to the Track 2 09-17-2008 11:30 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #2
dontbap()ssy

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
04 R6 (sold)
04 R1 (donated to the track gods)
08 MV Agusta F4 312R (sold)
10 duc 1198

I don't think marq should be given credit for "equaling" Doohans record because like you said Doohan did it in a 15 race season and marq didn't . I also feel like both Marquez's get special treatment when it come to racing....
dontbap()ssy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:56 AM   #3
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbap()ssy View Post
I also feel like both Marquez's get special treatment when it come to racing....
Yeah, they always put him on a Honda. No fair
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
dontbap()ssy

Bike(s):
04 R6 (sold)
04 R1 (donated to the track gods)
08 MV Agusta F4 312R (sold)
10 duc 1198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Yeah, they always put him on a Honda. No fair
LOL well kinda. When Ben Spies came up from the SBK they had the rookie rule for him , then when Marc came up they waved the rule and allowed him straight on the factory Honda .
dontbap()ssy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:02 PM   #5
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Doohan didn't have to race against Rossi, now did he?
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-27-2014, 12:14 PM   #6
Twenty Six

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
1988 Huffy Vortex (Track Bike)
Radio Flyer Tricycle (SOLD)
Schwinn Beach Cruiser (Stunt Bike)
MV Agusta F4 (Garage Queen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Doohan didn't have to race against Rossi, now did he?
Twenty Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
kenup283

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

I think what you mean is Rossi didn't have to race against Doohan...

As far as Marquez the rookie rule was only part of it.

Before that in moto2 his team/sponsor repsol bought out his chassis manufacturer, Suter, in a deal that they would only provide updates to him and no others competing for the championship. A move that started a mass exodus towards Kalex which now we have an entire field of as a result.

Also his team ran a quick shifter by modifying the control ECU which was not allowed, but officially kept it on the dl until after he won his championship. Then it was explicitly banned for everyone else the following year.

As for testing, MM did so much in season testing during his moto2 years, even at tracks on the callender mid season, that they were ahead in data and development before anyone else turned a wheel. They did so much that rules were made to ban and limit testing in moto2. Again after he benefited from it just to make sure everyone else finds it harder to follow his footsteps.

And regarding his riding habits he would run into people during practice or after a session has ended and it would be called a racing incident even though no one was racing. He did so much of this that they changed the rules again so that it would take multiple infractions of unsafe behavior before ever having an actual penalty that effects your on track placement.

Don't get me wrong it's a compliment to his ability and that of his team's to find ways around and exploit every loophole possible.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #8
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenup283 View Post

Don't get me wrong it's a compliment to his ability and that of his team's to find ways around and exploit every loophole possible.
And a testament to what Hondas money can do to make or bend the rules to their favor.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #9
ArkansasDave

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbap()ssy View Post
LOL well kinda. When Ben Spies came up from the SBK they had the rookie rule for him , then when Marc came up they waved the rule and allowed him straight on the factory Honda .
What was dani pedrosa and Jorge's first rides in motogp? Who is vinales signed with for next year?
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:10 PM   #10
kenup283

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasDave View Post
What was dani pedrosa and Jorge's first rides in motogp? Who is vinales signed with for next year?
I think that was exactly the point. Those who started their top class career in the top factory teams have all the championships and nearly all the wins in past decade, with exemption of a few one off winners and of course Casey Stoner.

I hope vinales does well, but the Suzuki is likely to be more risk than reward. Not exactly equivent to jumping straight into the championship winning team and bike.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:40 PM   #11
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
I think that was exactly the point. Those who started their top class career in the top factory teams have all the championships and nearly all the wins in past decade, with exemption of a few one off winners and of course Casey Stoner.

I hope vinales does well, but the Suzuki is likely to be more risk than reward. Not exactly equivent to jumping straight into the championship winning team and bike.
The rule says factory sponsored team right? Suzuki is sponsoring a team. Anyways what is wrong with letting rookies go straight to a factory team? Sure they have all the championships but besides the random casey stoner voodoo magic the 4 bikes from yamaha and Honda hold all the championships in the 4 stroke era of motogp. Most at the hand of Rossi.

I guess I don't see the problem with allowing rookies on factory bikes. Why not allow Honda to grab the best riders? Pedrosa did and he doesn't have a championship.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:51 PM   #12
Chuckster

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

Let's not forget that Doohan also suffered an injury that almost cost him his leg. He rebounded and became the most dominant rider of his generation. MM maybe suffers from the occasional pimple.
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-05-2014, 05:57 PM   #13
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
Let's not forget that Doohan also suffered an injury that almost cost him his leg. He rebounded and became the most dominant rider of his generation. MM maybe suffers from the occasional pimple.
His first three races were won while recovering from a broken shin. The second round he beat his previous record and beat pedrosa by 5 seconds...
Old 11-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #14
Chuckster

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

Quote:
His first three races were won while recovering from a broken shin. The second round he beat his previous record and beat pedrosa by 5 seconds...

Somehow having a simple fracture doesn't really compare to possible amputation or having both your legs sewn together to save the broken one. Then, seven weeks later, riding in defense of your championship lead.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-.../10957-11.html
Old 11-05-2014, 06:22 PM   #15
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Somehow beating everyone else that is injury free and with much more experience isn't a zit. Awesomeness isn't mutually exclusive, two people can be awesome.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:42 PM   #16
Chuckster

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

Lots of guys race injured. Not taking anything away from MM but Doohan's injury and to an extent, JLo's ride on a snapped collarbone on Thursday, Friday surgery and race on Sunday are a little more impressive. MM had a month to recover from his accident. Rossi was back in six weeks after his shin bone made an appearance through his skin. Miguel DuHammel raced AMA with a pin sticking out of his hip holding his thigh bone together. All these guys are made of tougher stuff than most but some just rise a little higher.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:11 PM   #17
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
I think what you mean is Rossi didn't have to race against Doohan...
Criville got in Doohans head, Rossi would have sent him to an asylum
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-06-2014, 02:41 AM   #18
kenup283

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Quote:
The rule says factory sponsored team right? Suzuki is sponsoring a team. Anyways what is wrong with letting rookies go straight to a factory team? Sure they have all the championships but besides the random casey stoner voodoo magic the 4 bikes from yamaha and Honda hold all the championships in the 4 stroke era of motogp. Most at the hand of Rossi.

I guess I don't see the problem with allowing rookies on factory bikes. Why not allow Honda to grab the best riders? Pedrosa did and he doesn't have a championship.
Nothing wrong with letting rookies go wherever their skills place them. I'm for it.

The rookie rule is actually irrelevant in all this, Ben didn t go to Suzuki because they wanted to pay him less than he was getting in US riding for Suzuki. If it was the deciding factor it would have been waived same done for Bautista who went to Suzuki as a rookie after winning the 250 championship.

Having rules that get removed as soon as becomes inconvenient for the next great thing does makes you wonder.

Fast forward to now and the age limit to enter Moto3, currently 16 has now been modified to allow the winner of the from Spaininsh moto3 championship a waiver. Immediately this allows current series champ, a french rider, to start from beginning of next season and not sit out the first few races. In future it further solidifies Spain's REPSOL CEV championship as the place to be even if / when MotoAmerica get up and running with theirs.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:55 AM   #19
kenup283

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
Criville got in Doohans head, Rossi would have sent him to an asylum
Maybe so, all our times come to an end eventually... But I do think Rossi benefitied from inheriting Doohan's place. Rather than going head to head with his own people he had the unique timing to directly step into the space vacated by Doohan's injury and get the top talent in terms of crew, in the same way as Marquez has from Stoners uniquely timed retirement. Two unique situations producing the two unique standouts in modern GP history. Coincidence?

Advertisement