MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2014, 12:07 PM   #1
HoustonHD

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2010 HD Ultra classic
'73 HD FX choppa!

UC Berkeley study 10/14 on Lane splitting

did a quick search on lane splitting and didnt see anything this current. Looks like another, albeit brief, article about lane splitting dangers.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...022-story.html
HoustonHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BW8 lane filtering/splitting pics, bumpy ride on lane dividers urbanXJ General Discussion (Moto Related) 96 06-30-2016 12:29 PM
TX Bill for lane splitting goes to committee (yes, another lane splitting thread) exalted512 General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-14-2011 05:35 PM
Lane-Sharing lane-splitting, white-lining or filtering NoFear General Discussion (Moto Related) 165 08-14-2008 03:30 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
well, I'll be damned.

Quote:
The study, which reviewed thousands of accident reports from around the state, found that lane-splitting is no more dangerous than riding a motorcycle in a marked lane.

So lane-splitting is generally safe as long as itís done at a reasonable speed.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:24 PM   #3
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

They forgot to add "and no idiots are trying to run you off the road"...although that is also usually no less safe than riding in a marked lane do to epic failure on the drivers part.
Flip Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #4
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

That's the one thing that state has done right (as compared to any of the other 49). I really wish we could get something going in Texas.

I did find this funny:
Quote:
The study did show that lane-splitters who ride at speeds 10 mph faster than the traffic they are passing do stand a greater risk of being in an accident. Researchers also found that lane-splitters are more likely to rear-end another vehicle than vice versa. Moreover, the data showed that the chances of lane-splitters getting into accidents is greatest in the early morning and late afternoon — rush hour.
So...
1) If you go TOO much faster than traffic, it becomes more dangerous. This is a well-established principle. See the Solomon Curve.

2) If you're moving faster than traffic, you're more likely to rear-end someone than be rear-ended yourself. This seems obvious.

3)Periods with heaviest traffic have the most collisions. Again, pretty obvious.

I don't think there's anything ground breaking about this study, but I do like that they point out that it's no more dangerous than riding in a marked lane. Of course, of the people who oppose lane splitting on the grounds that it's dangerous, most probably wouldn't mind outlawing riding motorcycles in general due to the inherent danger.

All I know is that twice in the last week, "splitting" has saved me at least 4 or 5 hours in commute time (over two days) as I've been able to go around a disabled bus or multiple vehicle collision on the HOV. If I could do it on the main lanes, I wouldn't need to be in the HOV.

Last edited by Jae; 10-23-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
Of course, of the people who oppose lane splitting on the grounds that it's dangerous, most probably wouldn't mind outlawing riding motorcycles in general due to the inherent danger.
I doubt anyone is genuinely opposed to it because they think it's unsafe...provided it wasn't after someone just flew by them at a speed 4-5 times greater than theirs.
They see someone splitting in a reasonable manner and like a child, that them off because they have to sit in traffic and you don't... It's not FAIR most of these people don't have the emotional intelligence to recognize why they are even , so they grab at the most adult excuse they can think of and mumble something like "that idiot's going to get himself killed" in a last ditch effort to not sound like a child.

splitting/HOV cuts my commute time in half and as the population grows and our government continues to fail at managing the flow of traffic, more and more people are going to turn to splitting.
Liked this post:
Old 10-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #6
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

bunch of cager !
Old 10-23-2014, 03:26 PM   #7
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
I doubt anyone is genuinely opposed to it because they think it's unsafe...provided it wasn't after someone just flew by them at a speed 4-5 times greater than theirs.
They see someone splitting in a reasonable manner and like a child, that them off because they have to sit in traffic and you don't... It's not FAIR most of these people don't have the emotional intelligence to recognize why they are even , so they grab at the most adult excuse they can think of and mumble something like "that idiot's going to get himself killed" in a last ditch effort to not sound like a child.

splitting/HOV cuts my commute time in half and as the population grows and our government continues to fail at managing the flow of traffic, more and more people are going to turn to splitting.
No, most of the non-riders I have discussed it with honestly believe that riding between lanes of stopped cars at 10 mph is as dangerous as riding wheelies on the freeway. When I ask them to explain their reasoning and then point out logical errors they usually start to agree with me that it probably isn't as bad as they thought. Most people don't give an honest thought to the issue, they just see someone going when they are not and assume that it's dangerous and that person should have to stop. You're right though, calling it dangerous is just a lazy excuse for selfishness.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #8
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
You're right though, calling it dangerous is just a lazy excuse for selfishness.
Right, that's all I am trying to say is that they haven't even put enough thought into it/been honest with themselves enough to realize that the real reason they are opposed to it has nothing to do with safety.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #9
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
I've been in LA last few months, and let me tell you if lane splitting 5-10mph faster them the cars around you - it is extremely safe and easy. I still cover both brakes but notice most drivers moving/angling their cars away to make room.

We should bring that law here too!

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #10
HS Driver

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki V-Strom 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
I've been in LA last few months, and let me tell you if lane splitting 5-10mph faster them the cars around you - it is extremely safe and easy. I still cover both brakes but notice most drivers moving/angling their cars away to make room.

We should bring that law here too!

Try do it in most European countries too, and in a lot of cases those countries are a lot more safety oriented than the US.

The only way we will get that in Texas is if enough motorcyclist persistently contact their state legislators and demand it.
HS Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:19 PM   #11
MoreyFan

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR
Ducati Monster

Most of us would rather be in control of our own safety rather than hope a driver behind us fails to look up.

When cars are going slow it takes them a while to change lanes which is probably the biggest danger when splitting.
MoreyFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement