MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Cruisers Lounge
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2007, 09:46 AM   #1
criticalerror

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Harley 03 FXDL
Rat bike (work in progress) Iron Head Sportster

Pipes

I ordered some Vance and Hines Short Shots this week for my 03 LowRider. Anyone else have these pipes?

Called V&H yesterday and was a little dissapointed when they told me the baffles are welded to the caps. So I either cut them out or remove them and lose the caps. They also tell that removeing the baffles will take away and performance gain the pipes would give so I really hope they have the sound i'm looking for with the baffles in place. I figure i'm already going to lose some torqe by adding short staright pipes. Good news is they tell me I shouldnt have to rejet the carb because I already have the stage 2 carb kit and air system.

I looked at a lot of pipes and went with what I thought looked best. I know V&H pipes have good sound and figured I could get extra rumble by removing the baffles if I wanted to. I can always add other upgrades to make up for any lost power. 2 - 1 pipes just dont look that good to me although from what I hear they are the best performing. Money played a small role in the decision as the short shots cost about 1/2 of the other exhaust i was looking at. Found the short shots (non-stagg) on e-bay for for $260. If I dont like them and go with some big shot shorts or radius at least it wont hurt as bad.

What kind of pipes do you guys/gals roll with?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pipes.. CombatM0NKEY Cruisers Lounge 10 05-03-2011 06:12 AM
The bads pipes ever! agermer General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 07-09-2009 11:11 AM
A Tale of Two Pipes Racer997 General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 05-03-2009 11:28 AM
just got yoshi pipes rob250ninja09 General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 12-07-2008 09:58 AM
New Pipes sunshyn General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 05-19-2008 12:58 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2007, 10:10 AM   #2
Greenway Smokey
Super duper member!

Bike(s):
'04 1200XL

Send a message via AIM to Greenway Smokey
You will like them. My good friend has a heritage with V&H long shots. They are loud as !

I had the SEII's on mine, but now i have a Drag Specialties Python 2-1. Huge difference in power, but the harley sound is gone. It now sounds like a V8 mustang.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:13 AM   #3
maskale

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2005 CBR600RR Trackbike
2007 Warrior Midnight

I have Hard Krome 2.5" American Classic Straights on my Warrior. I had some Mortons Executioners on it, those were loud and hot, they were pretty much just headers, no heat shields or baffles. The Hard Krome's did tune the sound down but it still has a rumble.
maskale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

post pics when installed, mebbe a sound clip too

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:38 AM   #5
criticalerror

Bike(s):
Harley 03 FXDL

Cool .. i'll post pictures here and a video on utube when its all said and done. I'm more exited about adding the Kurykan forward controls then anything else.

Next upgrade will be a solo seat, 1/2 apes, chrome out all hand controls and add braided lines, detachable pilon and detachable saddle bags for the long trips with the wifey.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:47 AM   #6
BikerBabe

Bike(s):
2006 Electra Glide Ultra Classic

Send a message via Yahoo to BikerBabe
I think those are the same pipes hubby had on his custom Fatboy -- loved the sound. I had some V&H pipes on my 750, but couldn't tell you what they were. We recently put Hooker Headers on the Ultra -- man oh man, those are some awesome sounding pipes for our cruizer.

One thing to keep in mind about taking out the baffles is the sound factor. In Louisiana, they pull bikes over right and left just to check to see if you have the baffles in your pipes. If you don't, it's an automatic $200+ fine right then and there. While I don't know how far and where you travel on your Harley, remember there are small towns around the country that have noise laws, which could get you in trouble if you don't have the baffles in.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:14 PM   #7
jar675

Bike(s):
Road king custom
FZ1 Black
XR650R motard
FZ1 Blue

We put v@h long shots I think on the c-50. They have tips that are supposed to slide in. They didn't slide in long story. The dealer called v@h they basically said to get $#@%ed. There c.s. sucks. I wouldn't purchase another thing from v@h. I hope you have better luck.
jar675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:26 PM   #8
MagnaMan
Peg Scraper

Bike(s):
99 Honda Magna

I've had pretty good luck with V&H. I purchased a used set of pipes that were missing a couple of connecting items. The V&H rep sent them to me for free. That was nice. Now later on, I ended up needing a couple more items and had to pay for them and found some of their item prices to be a little high.

Sorry you had a bad run-in. I've actually had more luck talking to their tech department than their customer service/sales reps. But then again I also didn't have a problem as serious as yours. They may not have liked hearing about a possible manufacturing flaw and decided to be d*cks.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:29 AM   #9
ImG

Send a message via AIM to ImG
i have the V&H Longshots, they actually came with removable baffles but the bike is loud enough already and i just kept them in.
ImG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 01:24 PM   #10
criticalerror

Bike(s):
Harley 03 FXDL

Well i got the short shots on yesterday and I couldnt be more pleased. I took a video and will put it on you-tube tonight. The pipes sound awesome! Its really exactly what I wanted. They look awesome, not to loud but louder then my stock pipes without baffles. I left the baffles in the short shots. They are super easy to take out but you lose the tips by taking them out because the baffles are actually welded to the tips. I didnt use exhaust gaskets because when i removed the stock pipes there were no gaskits there and with the gaskits the pipes had a hard time fitting to the cylinders.

Long story short .. i love the pipes. So far I havent had to retune my carb. No missing and no backfiring .. i filled up this morning and if my milage is ok i'll leave the carb alone. If my milage goes on a steep decline i'll have to tune or re-jet.

Total cost: under $300
Old 05-29-2007, 01:46 PM   #11
Greenway Smokey
Super duper member!

Bike(s):
'04 1200XL

Send a message via AIM to Greenway Smokey
Perhaps there were exhuast gaskets already in there and you just didn't notice. I had to use needle nose plyers to get mine out when i changed my pipes. That could be what happened since the pipes wouldn't fit when you stuck on the other gaskets. Either way, they say that you can use the old gaskets. it doesn't hurt it unless the new pipes are shaped funny.

I'm glad you got set up!
Old 05-31-2007, 01:16 PM   #12
criticalerror

Bike(s):
Harley 03 FXDL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb9pWYZIvEY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfxcLRCnZAA
Old 05-31-2007, 02:49 PM   #13
isoplus
should be working

Bike(s):
Honda Shadow VT750C2, Hyosung GV650

^^^ I liked it!
Unique look and nice sound
isoplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:41 PM   #14
DANtheMan.
Chicks dig scars!

Experience: 2 years

06 crf250

Send a message via AIM to DANtheMan.
My bro had a vance and hines exhaust system on his zx7 it sounded mean sweet exhaust system you will love it.

im just another NEWB SqUiDnAsTy...
DANtheMan. is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement