MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2014, 06:08 PM   #221
supadupa

Feedback Rating: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebujster View Post
To derail a little bit, but if you have any issues whatsoever, do you go slow off line or slow on the race line? I guess I've heard both, and honestly I've done both as well.

Example turns at TWS (Texas World Speedway): Exiting turn 6 or turn 9. Assuming you have mechanical or have a bee in your helmet and can't ride at full speed, should you be pushing all the way to the outside of those turns (aka race line, but predictable) or hug the inside? I guess if you have your hand up can you basically just do either? Because the hand up is the signal that you are doing something different?

If something happens & you're already entering a turn, just chill & don't go to extremes. Follow the line of the turn.

Don't close all the way down to the apex & don't exit out to the edge.

Its when you hit a straight that you want to take some action to get out of traffic due to the higher closing speeds. It seems backwards but I can adjust lines mid turn much easier than missing you on a straight.

also,
DONT EVER STOP! Roll off Ty had that unfortunate experience a few years back when some guys stopped dead on the backside of the hill at TWS (Texas World Speedway).
supadupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
this is what track days are all about.. . good times floyd600 Taking it to the Track 2 10-29-2012 08:44 PM
texas track days*ride smart*lone star track days DC_The_Boss Taking it to the Track 57 03-19-2009 10:26 PM
Why do you, personally, do track days? Or why did you attend your first track day? cdill35 Taking it to the Track 118 11-05-2008 09:25 PM
Tony Terrell Benefit Track Day, June 8th via Lone Star Track Days jeffLSTD Taking it to the Track 2 05-10-2007 11:47 PM
The Good 'Ol Days Swift E Off Topic 5 06-07-2006 08:38 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2014, 07:02 PM   #222
ATCNastyNate

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha R6 Raven
2013 Aprilia Tuono

I talked to Josh, and as far as he knows, this guy has not dropped the case. I don't know who the people who say otherwise have talked to, but they seem to be misinformed.
ATCNastyNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:32 PM   #223
babymilo36
Occupy Central

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Specialized Allez Elite

Member Garage

Some of ya'll are quick to cast stones without fully hearing both sides of the story. I agree that no one should be sued in this situation but regardless of level 1, 2, or 3, you should know to never look back while on the track.

CMRA #620
Wreck it Pandas #68
babymilo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:58 PM   #224
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymilo36 View Post
Some of ya'll are quick to cast stones without fully hearing both sides of the story. I agree that no one should be sued in this situation but regardless of level 1, 2, or 3, you should know to never look back while on the track.
You should never run over a slower rider either
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:25 AM   #225
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

Or one signaling wrong or having a mechanical.
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:04 AM   #226
The BeastMaster
AKA "Reese"

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
03 honda magna
08 honda 1000 cbr
97 Honda Magna(sold)
87 Honda TRX 250R 4wheeler(sold)
1985 Honda CR 125R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo92 View Post
Bear with me...you may need to picture this in your head as you read it.

The passer decided to pass on the outside. Per Josh's account he was to the right side of the track gong into 12 (which makes sense) and waved them past thinking they would pass on the left (inside). Twelve is a left handed turn.

The passer stated an inside pass wouldn't be safe. This is incorrect. An inside pass would be the SAFEST as IF he spooked the passee, the higher probability is that a spooked rider rolls off and/stands the bike up and moves to the OUTSIDE (or right in this case) of the turn.

Just another data point that the passer screwed up. Had he followed the standard more experienced riders use, he would have passed on the inside and Josh would have stayed wide. Even with Josh turning his head and going further to the right edge, it all would have been OK.

See below.

From the passer (or attempted passer)

no, its not a race and i wasnt racing. i had asked cody to follow and critique me, we were only third session, taking it easy hitting apexes and maintaing a line.
where the accident happened, i and cody had over 8' gap from edge of track to rider, coming up on left turn. cody agrees that if he had been in front he would have attempted the same outside pass on the rider even with his speed so low, there was plenty room and an inside pass would have been dangerous.
the rider looked behind him and 8' turned to 1 foot in a split second. im the kind of person whose not cocky or wanta pass everyone, im the guy that holdsoff on a pass if its even close to sketchy. i know u dont know me and believe what you will, but in this case i feel i did everything correctly and what is expected in lvl 3, and an unfortunate line of circumstances led to almost losing my life.
so this guy went make an outside pass with only 8 feet of track out there. While leaving the fast line 30' to his left wide open. That's a fast turn, No one should be out that far unless they are trying to avoid a lot of traffic.

Sounds like he might need to go back down to lvl. 2 he up.
Sorry to hear what your going thru Josh. It sounds like this is one of those times when a few minor screw ups all culminated into one big mess.

TD org not enforcing the rules
Josh looking back possibly causing him to veer into their path.
And that Polish guy for going the wrong way around in the first place.

Last edited by The BeastMaster; 10-18-2014 at 01:06 AM.
The BeastMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:17 AM   #227
J.J. McQuade
DORC MEMBER

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Multi-Strada 1100S
1993 Ducati 900SS (Designated Sweeper)
Acura NSX-T Type R

Member Garage

Answering and defending a law suit can be very expensive. Our firm is in the insurance defense business for large retail stores and auto insurance, and a majority of the plaintiff's that sue us have no insurance. Without knowing the specifics of the case and seeing the original petition that was filed, hard to tell what he is suing for. I am going to assume he is suing for medical, present and future treatment, pain and suffering, lost wages, loss of consortium if the guy is married, and exemplary damages. Since JE Hurst's insurance policy is not covering him for this incident everything is out of pocket. Like you stated earlier, your personal assets are protected under the law; but there can always be a judgment against you. That will most certainly be a negative on your credit. Messed up situation all around man! I am going to be following this one as it can open up a whole new can of worms in liability cases.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:55 AM   #228
J.J. McQuade
DORC MEMBER

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Multi-Strada 1100S
1993 Ducati 900SS (Designated Sweeper)
Acura NSX-T Type R

Member Garage

Just checked out the court's website and I don't see a proposed Order for Non-Suit or dismissal for any of the parties, so it looks like this guy's lawsuit is still on. Looked at his amended petition and he is seeking at least 200K; but no more than 1M in damages. Pretty run of the mill petition for damages. Josh, I'm sure your attorney has filed a general denial and seeking a trial by jury on your behalf; but answering their discovery costs money! PM me if you need any help.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #229
zrx24

Bike(s):
Kawasaki ZRX1200R
KTM 350 XCF-W
Yamaha R6 - track only

You've illustrated EXACTLY why it is risky to pass on the outside.

Running a tighter line on the inside avoids the situation you have illustrated.
zrx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:57 AM   #230
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Trackday orgs around the country have largely been shielded from such foolery. Partly because of waiver language, but mostly from participants not wanting their way of feeding their addiction taken away by frivolous lawsuits. There has always been an unspoken code that all have known;
1) take responsibility for your own actions.
2) you assume all risks, including personal injury or destruction of property.
3) Never sue! Lest you ruin the sport for EVERYONE!

It is our responsibility as orgs to provide a reasonably safe environment. Sometimes it's much easier said than done, but regardless, all decisions must be made to ensure rider safety. That may also include protecting you from yourself. After many years of doing this, I sometimes think I've seen it all, however, someone is always eager to prove me wrong.

There are many variables in this sport. Weather, track condition, mechanical failure, and human nature. We always strive to do our absolute best at every event to provide a safe and fun environment for all involved, and are constantly evolving our procedures to maintain that commitment to our riders.

Just remember, the liabilities involved have always made for thin ice because of the litigation happy and take no responsibility society we live in. Do you want to continue to have this sport for the next generation? If so, the courts are no place to ensure trackdays existence.
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-18-2014, 10:11 AM   #231
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLine View Post
Trackday orgs around the country have largely been shielded from such foolery. Partly because of waiver language, but mostly from participants not wanting their way of feeding their addiction taken away by frivolous lawsuits. There has always been an unspoken code that all have known;
1) take responsibility for your own actions.
2) you assume all risks, including personal injury or destruction of property.
3) Never sue! Lest you ruin the sport for EVERYONE!

It is our responsibility as orgs to provide a reasonably safe environment. Sometimes it's much easier said than done, but regardless, all decisions must be made to ensure rider safety. That may also include protecting you from yourself. After many years of doing this, I sometimes think I've seen it all, however, someone is always eager to prove me wrong.

There are many variables in this sport. Weather, track condition, mechanical failure, and human nature. We always strive to do our absolute best at every event to provide a safe and fun environment for all involved, and are constantly evolving our procedures to maintain that commitment to our riders.

Just remember, the liabilities involved have always made for thin ice because of the litigation happy and take no responsibility society we live in. Do you want to continue to have this sport for the next generation? If so, the courts are no place to ensure trackdays existence.

i LOVE riding with fastline because of the smaller grids and the safer more constructed levels , i will be doing the td with Ride Smart tommorow and ive been told of the packed grids and i am willing to accept the responsibilities and risk involved in doing so. Also i do td's for the pure fun and love of the sport. Im not trying to be the fastest one out there .... im just trying to melt my knee pucks

If it's got or tires , it's going to cost you
Nastynesto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #232
exalted512
Slow^^^

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx24 View Post
You've illustrated EXACTLY why it is risky to pass on the outside.

Running a tighter line on the inside avoids the situation you have illustrated.
The safest way to pass is when the passee is moving away from the passer, period. In any corner, that's on the outside if you can complete the pass before the apex, and the inside if it's after the apex.

Quote:
Do you want to continue to have this sport for the next generation? If so, the courts are no place to ensure trackdays existence.
Funny, isn't FastLine the ones that got the DPS involved with track days?
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #233
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
The safest way to pass is when the passee is moving away from the passer, period. In any corner, that's on the outside if you can complete the pass before the apex, and the inside if it's after the apex.

Actually, they were involved before we existed. Don't think for a minute that they don't monitor these forums. Nice try though.
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:16 PM   #234
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Trackdays: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post

Quote:
Actually, they were involved before we existed. Don't think for a minute that they don't monitor these forums. Nice try though.

Zing!!
Old 10-18-2014, 12:26 PM   #235
Sudo
Banned

User is banned

Sudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:32 PM   #236
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Trackdays: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudo View Post
So where do you draw the line on track riding responsibility and when can the court be involved? Can a rider purposely run you off course and get away with it? It seems like it is almost impossible to draw that line. What do you do if that happens?
You handle it in the paddocks.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:35 PM   #237
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
You handle it in the paddocks.
Yeah like real men and then we sacrifice the women and breed with the goats..... wait that dont sound right

If it's got or tires , it's going to cost you
Nastynesto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:51 PM   #238
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Nice try though.
You're gonna take that to the grave, huh? liar.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #239
jakeg

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 3 years

Subscribed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1413659406022.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	81809  
jakeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #240
scoutguy
pack leeder

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Rocket III
95 Triumph Thunderbird
96 Triumph Daytona 1200-now Tojo92's toy
95 Triumph Speed Triple
KTM 990 ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
You're gonna take that to the grave, huh? liar.
I can't comment further on this, Fastline had nothing to do with the DPS.
scoutguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement