MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2014, 01:47 PM   #21
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

well as someone else pointed out, the number of people taking the class each year is not even in the same ball park as a million, so I would imagine it would translate into a lot more than 17 dollars a person.

I agree that people shouldn't rely on the government for personal safety, but at the same time we shouldn't just look the other way while they use excess funds to make themselves look good and do absolutely nothing for the people who paid.
There are lots of more creative ways to use the money than to just let it sit there. They aren't even making an attempt
Flip Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY NgaWhat Off Topic 9 03-01-2013 10:44 AM
Gold is not money??? Snoogyns848 The Circus 48 07-21-2011 10:30 AM
Money C.Hern5972 Off Topic 24 10-19-2009 12:31 PM
I have no money ANTISOCIAL Off Topic 4 04-16-2008 01:07 AM
Money in Paint? DvlRacer Off Topic 20 03-07-2008 06:00 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #22
Cog

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
Kawasaki Concours

I'm all for holding the government accountable for spending our $$$ resources in the manner in which they were intended to be spent, but i don't think you'll facilitate much change simply by discussing it in this forum.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. That's why, very shortly, there will be a petition you'll be able to sign online that will be delivered to the legislature this session. There's almost 950,000 motorcyclists in this state. Only 1% of those riders signing that would be nearly 10,000 signatures.

And we'll soon put up copy you can send to your own legislators. Will they read them? Who knows, but it couldn't hurt.

The point is: DO SOMETHING. Or are you okay with the fact that our one state accounted for nearly 10% of all the motorcycle fatalities in the US in the last year tallied? If we as riders don't give a , who will?
Cog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:21 PM   #23
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
well as someone else pointed out, the number of people taking the class each year is not even in the same ball park as a million, so I would imagine it would translate into a lot more than 17 dollars a person.

I agree that people shouldn't rely on the government for personal safety, but at the same time we shouldn't just look the other way while they use excess funds to make themselves look good and do absolutely nothing for the people who paid.
There are lots of more creative ways to use the money than to just let it sit there. They aren't even making an attempt
well it said the funds are from 2005, so its not 17million a year its 17 million since 2005. There are no statistics with resources on here so im just going by what is in the original post
Old 10-15-2014, 02:39 PM   #24
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japawhat02 View Post
well it said the funds are from 2005, so its not 17million a year its 17 million since 2005. There are no statistics with resources on here so im just going by what is in the original post
So what's your point? 17 million isn't a lot of money, so who cares?

Jeez we may as well just go ahead and hand this country over to the chinese
Old 10-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #25
ST675
01101000 01101001

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of bikes from 80cc to 1200cc
Current : ZX11
KX80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cog View Post
So, unlike most businesses they can't pass costs on to other customers. Think about what's gone up since 2005: insurance, fuel, rents, bikes, maintenance, materials, etc. etc.

Then I say let them charge more.. Why set a limit?
Old 10-15-2014, 02:46 PM   #26
Cog

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
Kawasaki Concours

Since you asked for sourcing, here's a letter sent to a friend of mine by the Speaker of the Texas House on the subject. Note that this letter mentions the sum of $14+ mil in 2013, adding about $2mil to the fund annually. So by the time the legislature begins, the fund will be nearing the $17mil figure. (BTW, I deleted my friend's name per his request.)

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Speaker Joe Straus <District121.Straus@house.state.tx.us> Date: Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 12:49 PM Subject: In Response to Your Recent Email
Dear XXXXXX:
Thank you for contacting me regarding the Motorcycle Education account. I appreciate your taking the time to contact me. I would be more than happy to provide you with some background for this issue.
The Motorcycle Education account was created in 1983, and is likely to have an unappropriated, unobligated balance of $14.4 million by the end of fiscal year (FY) 2013. Per statute, funds in the account may be used only to defray the cost of administering the motorcycle operator training and safety program. Every time certain fees related to motorcycle licenses are paid, both commercial and personal, $5 of those fees are added to this fund. FY 2013 revenue is projected at $2 million.
Unfortunately, there have been no appropriations from the fund since FY 2006, however, in 2012, I created an interim committee to study the use of these funds in the budget process. During the 83rd Legislative Session, legislation was passed, in order to reduce the state's reliance on these accounts and, as a result, our state is on the right track to reverse this issue.
Furthermore, I charged the House Committee on Appropriations to research this issue further as we prepare for the 84th Legislature which will begin in January 2015. The Legislature will continue to study this issue to determine if it is best to increase appropriations from the fund, add other allowable uses of the fund, or reduce/eliminate the fee. In the meantime, I encourage you to follow the committee's work and to contact the House Committee on Appropriations to share your views on this issue. The committee can be reached at:
House Committee on Appropriations
EXT E1.032
P.O. Box 2910
Austin, TX 78768
(512) 463-1091
http://www.house.state.tx.us/committees/
Again, thank you for writing. Transparency in the state government and budget is one of my top priorities of the House, and your input is important to ensure that we address the funds in a way that is of the greatest benefit to the state. If I can be of further assistance to you on this or any other issue, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Sincerely,
Joe Straus
Cog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #27
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cog View Post
DID YOU KNOW…?
It’s your life! It’s your money! Demand our state put it to its intended use! Contact your elected representative or senator and let them know it’s not acceptable for riders to die so budgets can be balanced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
I'm all for holding the government accountable for spending our $$$ resources in the manner in which they were intended to be spent, but i don't think you'll facilitate much change simply by discussing it in this forum.
The original post wasn't encouraging discussion, but action.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:49 PM   #28
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
$180 is expensive for a weekend course?, not IMO

Renewal is ? $7 every 7 yrs

Btw mandating helmet laws would prob bring the death rate down
I thought it was good forever.

You telling me I have to take that class every 7 years?
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:50 PM   #29
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXJ View Post

No, you have to take the class to get the endorsement, but it is renewed along with your standard C license renewal. You don't have to re-take driver's ed every time you renew your regular license.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:54 PM   #30
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXJ View Post

I meant license renewal

When you renew your drivers license, you pay A few dollars to maintain your M cert
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-15-2014, 04:17 PM   #31
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Paying $180 once per lifetime of motorcycle nirvana is worth arguing over?

I don't even remember how much I paid to get my "M" eons ago. I might even have done it twice in 2 different states. Whatever it was... worth every penny.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:26 PM   #32
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I cant be the only one who is fine with the death rate. I really dont care unless Im one of them. Im not responsible for others and I dont hold others responsible fr my actions. Stupid will always exist.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:53 PM   #33
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Im fine with the death rate. Its the exceasive amoint we are being charged to obtain an M license and the fact that the money is just sitting there that I have a problem with.

Some peopl saif it was worth it... of course it is, thats not the point. Air is worth all the money in the world. Should they tax the out of it and then let the money sit in the bank too?

It could be worth 100,000,000,000 dollars but that doesnt mean its right for governments to cash in on it
Old 10-15-2014, 07:10 PM   #34
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

Just because you think its excessive does not mean it is. I think having to take the safety course is great. You had to take a safety course to get your DL, are you complaining about that? Nope. How about the money from your registration every year? You think all that goes to fixing roads and putting up dumb seatbelt adds and drunk driving adds, and doesn't get abused? Bet there is more than 17mil there.

17million might be a lot of money to you, but in the grand scheme of things it is minuscule.

I know since its moto related it hits close to home, but its far from a big issue.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:35 PM   #35
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Shelly so concerned with the money.lol. I think its excessive that Ive already paid in over 30k in taxes. I think that is excessive and bothers me a lot more.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:33 AM   #36
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Okay so screw it then its not much it's not much in relation to the crimes already being committed against us, so lets all let it slide.

BW it's prople with your attitude that is the reason why you already paid 30k in taxes. That's how these a-holes operate. They don't just start out full on raping you... they slip it into everyones buttholes gradually to prevent an uprising. Before you know it, one dollar here and there adds up to 30k.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:39 AM   #37
The BeastMaster
AKA "Reese"

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
03 honda magna
08 honda 1000 cbr
97 Honda Magna(sold)
87 Honda TRX 250R 4wheeler(sold)
1985 Honda CR 125R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
Im fine with the death rate. Its the exceasive amoint we are being charged to obtain an M license and the fact that the money is just sitting there that I have a problem with.

Some peopl saif it was worth it... of course it is, thats not the point. Air is worth all the money in the world. Should they tax the out of it and then let the money sit in the bank too?

It could be worth 100,000,000,000 dollars but that doesnt mean its right for governments to cash in on it
So the account is growing 2 mil a yr. that's really not much in the grand scheme of things. So they let it set and grow for a few yrs. before taking advantage of it.
First they will stonewall by siphoning some off to do studies and research on how best to use it. Then who knows they might even come up with a few good uses for what's left. Probably no better than ideas we could have come up with - for free.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:57 AM   #38
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

My attitude on the subject is why I get taxed by FICA, Med, and SS? ! Shelly is a special kind of retarded.
Liked this post:
Old 10-16-2014, 07:12 AM   #39
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Don't be an you know what I'm talking about. It's people like you who just lay down and take it that have us in this situation where the gov. is doing whatever they want.

If some dude in a hoodie picked your pocket with 180 dollars in your wallet, would you just say "oh that's nothing the feds stole 30,000 from me already this year"..or would you chase him down and get your back?

There point is where do you draw the line with this ?
Saying "who cares, it's not much in relation to the other money they are stealing" encourages them to keep doing it.

What if they charged 1000 dollars? Would that be okay too since they already have taken another 30 grand this year?
Is anything under 30,000 reasonable to be charging someone to take a required safety class?
Old 10-16-2014, 07:29 AM   #40
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

It's Your Money!

STFU jackass^^^

It's definitely not people like Robert causing this ...it's systematic leeches draining the life blood from other funds creating a need for an artificial balance. This has been going on for a lot longer than Robert has been paying outrageous taxes.

Last edited by jetcycles; 10-16-2014 at 07:32 AM.
jetcycles is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement