MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2014, 11:22 AM   #1
Cog

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
Kawasaki Concours

It's Your Money!

DID YOU KNOW…?

1. Texas leads the nation in motorcycle fatalities! More than California, more than Florida. And the number is rising.
2. Texas spends, per capita, less on motorcycle safety than you’d expect, a lot less! In fact, since 2005 the amount of dollars spent for awareness campaigns and motorcycle safety training has decreased by more than 50%..and that doesn’t even include inflation.
3. Texas has a dedicated fund for motorcycle safety, but doesn’t use it! Every time you as a motorcyclist renew your license part of what you pay goes into that fund. Yet Texas has not spent ANY money from that fund since 2005! Right now it has nearly $17 million dollars in it, sitting idly while we on two wheels die. It’s one of a host of dedicated funds that remain untouched to artificially “balance” the Lone Star State’s budget. It’s our money, paid for by us to help make Texas roads safer for riders.
4. Texas requires all riders to take a basic ridercourse to get a motorcycle endorsement on their driver’s licenses. And Texas riders pay some of the highest tuitions in the nation to take a class required by the state. The unused monies in the unused safety fund could help class providers defray the high cost of training, and that could mean lower costs for motorcyclists to take the class the state says they must take to ride legal.
It’s your life! It’s your money! Demand our state put it to its intended use! Contact your elected representative or senator and let them know it’s not acceptable for riders to die so budgets can be balanced.
Cog is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY NgaWhat Off Topic 9 03-01-2013 10:44 AM
Gold is not money??? Snoogyns848 The Circus 48 07-21-2011 10:30 AM
Money C.Hern5972 Off Topic 24 10-19-2009 12:31 PM
I have no money ANTISOCIAL Off Topic 4 04-16-2008 01:07 AM
Money in Paint? DvlRacer Off Topic 20 03-07-2008 06:00 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

$180 is expensive for a weekend course?, not IMO

Renewal is ? $7 every 7 yrs

Btw mandating helmet laws would prob bring the death rate down
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #3
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

The point is while in your opinion it may not be expensive, it is more than most other states.
Flip Flop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #4
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Some are free, many are A LOT more

Free states usually have waiting list.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 10-15-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

soooo...one state has the ability to do it for free and another one has to charge 200 dollars?
Sounds like a bunch of racket to me, especially considering there are 17 million in unused funds sitting there. How long does it have to sit before they can legally justify using it to upgrade to governors mansion?
Old 10-15-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

17 mil must be true it's posted on the inet
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 10-15-2014, 11:48 AM   #7
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cog View Post
DID YOU KNOW…?

1. Texas leads the nation in motorcycle fatalities! More than California, more than Florida. And the number is rising.
2. Texas spends, per capita, less on motorcycle safety than you’d expect, a lot less! In fact, since 2005 the amount of dollars spent for awareness campaigns and motorcycle safety training has decreased by more than 50%..and that doesn’t even include inflation.
3. Texas has a dedicated fund for motorcycle safety, but doesn’t use it! Every time you as a motorcyclist renew your license part of what you pay goes into that fund. Yet Texas has not spent ANY money from that fund since 2005! Right now it has nearly $17 million dollars in it, sitting idly while we on two wheels die. It’s one of a host of dedicated funds that remain untouched to artificially “balance” the Lone Star State’s budget. It’s our money, paid for by us to help make Texas roads safer for riders.
4. Texas requires all riders to take a basic ridercourse to get a motorcycle endorsement on their driver’s licenses. And Texas riders pay some of the highest tuitions in the nation to take a class required by the state. The unused monies in the unused safety fund could help class providers defray the high cost of training, and that could mean lower costs for motorcyclists to take the class the state says they must take to ride legal.
It’s your life! It’s your money! Demand our state put it to its intended use! Contact your elected representative or senator and let them know it’s not acceptable for riders to die so budgets can be balanced.
That sounds great and all but all of the signs and motorcycle awareness commercials are not going to fix dumb people. What else are you going to do with 17 million. That small amount might fix 2 pot holes. What do you want them to do with the money? make the test go down. Say there is 1 million m endorsements in TX that brings the test down 17 dollars, not much more affordable to me. And that's if you put it all in one place.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

So continue charging the same and doing nothing with the excess funds. Thanks Texas.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #9
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

How about investing the money and putting it to better use in fixing roads or providing more of a discount. Instead of the spend it all now cause its there mentality.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #10
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

We have a lot.of squids and dumb.people riding motorcycles
Old 10-15-2014, 12:04 PM   #11
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post

Btw mandating helmet laws would prob bring the death rate down
lets not do this. One of ridings greatest pleasures is riding without a helmet. ever done it?
Old 10-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #12
Truckin_Thumper

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAX View Post
lets not do this. One of ridings greatest pleasures is riding without a helmet. ever done it?
exactly, how does freedom work?
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #13
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Bike(s):

Sounds good, but is that their plan?

If I remember right it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 bucks to get the M. A 17 or even a ten dollar discount would be huge. Wouldn't make it free, but close enough.

Might result in more people actually getting the endorsement instead of just hopping on and riding

Last edited by Flip Flop; 10-15-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #14
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
soooo...one state has the ability to do it for free and another one has to charge 200 dollars?
It is not "free" in other states, it's paid for with government money (taxes) so either way you end up paying for it. And yes, in the states with lower rates, there is usually a huge backlog (several months) because it's not privatized.

I get what you're saying about the excess money, it should be used towards motorcycle safety (although I don't think it's actually in that fund anymore).

Also, keep in mind that normally those funds would have been used for the MSU's budget whereas right now they're being paid out of the general fund. So if you put it back the way it was, there wouldn't be anywhere near 17 million in there right now (although there would be some).
Old 10-15-2014, 12:26 PM   #15
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japawhat02 View Post
... Say there is 1 million m endorsements in TX that brings the test down 17 dollars, not much more affordable to me. And that's if you put it all in one place.
Except that not everyone with their endorsement is taking the class every year. I'd be curious what the actual number of people taking the class to get their license is yearly.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:33 PM   #16
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
Except that not everyone with their endorsement is taking the class every year. I'd be curious what the actual number of people taking the class to get their license is yearly.
<50,000ish
Old 10-15-2014, 01:07 PM   #17
Track_Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAX View Post
Here Here !!

Walmart is 2 miles straight shot from my house on a country road rarely traveled. I'm not going Power Ranger to go pick up a can of Raid yard fogger.

I say we all agree to petition the state to spend the money on Ebola.

Or - buy each of us that new Kaw H2. Forget fixing roads. That's why we buy sportbikes to begin with - swerve them potholes man (David Spade).
Old 10-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #18
Cog

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
Kawasaki Concours

the money is there

The point is the money is taken from you and not spent for what it's intended. Training sites in this state tend to be mostly private companies (there's two on this forum) and they are being squeezed more and more. Did you know that Texas dictates the most a provider can charge? So, unlike most businesses they can't pass costs on to other customers. Think about what's gone up since 2005: insurance, fuel, rents, bikes, maintenance, materials, etc. etc.

And remember that this state REQUIRES training to get a license, unlike most others, yet they provide almost nothing in support of that required training. Bottom line to you: more expensive, less convenient mandatory training on older equipment. Despite the fact that you, as a rider, are giving up money every time you renew to provide for your training and public awareness campaigns. So we're supposed to mooch off the general fund and take money from other things so the money that we actually pay sits there doing nothing but make legislators look good on paper? So much for personal responsibility.

Remember: "educate not legislate" is how the mandatory helmet law was rescinded and avoided.
Cog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:36 PM   #19
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cog View Post
The point is the money is taken from you and not spent for what it's intended.
Certainly this can't be a new phenomenon, can it? There's no way the government does this to anyone but motorcyclists, is there? FWIW, I didn't have to take MSF training to get my Class M endorsement, and i don't care what they did with the small amount of $$$ they made off of my license as I'm the only person that I hold responsible for my safety.

I'm all for holding the government accountable for spending our $$$ resources in the manner in which they were intended to be spent, but i don't think you'll facilitate much change simply by discussing it in this forum.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:39 PM   #20
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
Sounds good, but is that their plan?

If I remember right it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 bucks to get the M. A 17 or even a ten dollar discount would be huge. Wouldn't make it free, but close enough.

Might result in more people actually getting the endorsement instead of just hopping on and riding
well I was talking about the safety course not the actual license. You have to take the safety course to get one so its not 20 dollars.

Advertisement