MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2014, 09:35 PM   #1
WileCyot

Feedback Rating: (0)

1983 CB1100F Fuel Injection Build

Well, I figured I would post in here my plans. Everyone likes a good build thread and I'd like to get one started.

The bike....

IMG 2493 zpsc39d359b

So far I've ordered a set of 01-03 GSXR 700 throttle bodies, injectors, fuel rail, harness, etc. Once those come in I will get them setup to fit the 1100F spacing in place of the carbs. I have a spare 900F motor that I'll use for mocking up.

Anyone know of an in-line fuel pump for a motorcycle that doesn't draw a high amperage? I'm really going to have to pinch pennies so to speak in the electrical department. All lights on the bike will be converted to LED and the headlight to an HID retrofit. The initial startup will draw a large hit from the system but then drop to around 3-5 amps. Hopefully some of you can provide some input into all of this.
WileCyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuel injection ArkansasDave Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 8 03-04-2015 01:06 PM
Fuel injection light RedHonet Performance and Modifications 2 08-11-2011 03:18 PM
fuel injection on a carbed bike loosenoose General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 02-07-2011 09:05 AM
Fuel Injection Sync Tri How To's and Q & A's 3 08-20-2010 06:16 PM
sagem digital fuel injection BoogFist How To's and Q & A's 0 03-27-2006 12:28 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2014, 09:42 PM   #2
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

What are you going to use the control the fuel system?

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:53 PM   #3
WileCyot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
What are you going to use the control the fuel system?
Either a megasquirt or microsquirt system. Probably a microsquirt because that's all I need. It has a Dyna2000 ignition system but either of the above options can also control ignition. Just have to decide and pull the trigger.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:56 AM   #4
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

I can't wait to see how this goes. I've never seen anybody attempt to inject a carbed bike, if it works outi may have to try it someday.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

I have no doubts it will work, very cool mod and I'm in !
Might as well toss on a small turdblo while your at it.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-15-2014, 08:41 AM   #6
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
I can't wait to see how this goes. I've never seen anybody attempt to inject a carbed bike, if it works outi may have to try it someday.
It's been done (recall specifically seeing a guy adapt carbs to accept fuel injectors on a vmax), it seems that it's usually pretty expensive though. I think this is the main thing that has kept people from doing it more.

But yeah, I'm really interested in hearing how this goes.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:59 AM   #7
WileCyot

As of now I'm in $110 bucks for the TB, injectors, and harness. I'll keep this updated as I make progress.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:13 PM   #8
WileCyot

Alright, so I've been gathering up parts for my EFI conversion. I've decided that, for the time being, to only use the megasquirt for fuel control. I have a DYNA 2000 ignition that's working quite well for now. Once I get the fuel headed in the right direction and get a grasp on the tuning I'll probably purchase a MS3X box to have fuel sequential fuel and COP spark control. All in due time. For now, let's keep it simple.

Here are some pictures of the 01 GSX-R 750 throttle bodies I've modified to fit the spacing for the bike. The ITBs come with 80-80-80 spacing. I need 80-100-80. I, like others on this board have done, moved the TB that has the cable mechanism in-board so it sits next to the TB with the TPS. TPS is at at CYL 4, throttle mechanism is at 3, and the other two sit at 1 and 2, obviously.

In order to be able to actuate the butterfly valves with the cable mechanism I pulled the bridge piece off of the TB sitting on Cyl 1, since it won't be needed as it is hanging out in space, bent the spring hook, and fastened it under the nut of the cable mechanism. All of this should be visible in the pictures below. I had to bend the mechanisms at the 100mm spacing a little so they would contact as designed. All in all it worked out pretty well. For the spacers I picked up some 1" Nylon threaded spacers with a 1/4"-20 threaded down the middle of them. I tapped the TPS throttle body to 1/4"-20 and used 1/4" threaded rod with 2 nuts and washers on the #1 TB end. Looks decent other than needing to cut the extra length off. I'll do that soon. For now, pictures.

I also need to either extend my fuel rail or purchase some stock. Stock looks pretty cheap so I may just go that route.

IMG 2386 zps75b03d48

IMG 2384 zps89341e6d

IMG 2385 zps2b16eabe

IMG 2383 zpsd9c7aec8

IMG 2379 zpsdd5555e3

IMG 2382 zpse199ac78
Old 12-23-2014, 08:52 PM   #9
Rayinhouston

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
1998 Valk
1984 Honda V65 Sabre
KLR-650
1976 DT-400
Suzuki T-350 C-Z 400, Husky 360c, 71 SL-70 "hotrod"

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
It's been done (recall specifically seeing a guy adapt carbs to accept fuel injectors on a vmax), it seems that it's usually pretty expensive though. I think this is the main thing that has kept people from doing it more.

But yeah, I'm really interested in hearing how this goes.
Ditto.... there are some guys that have done it on V4 Hondas..........
Rayinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement