MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #1
skd23

Feedback Rating: (0)

Member Garage

Unhappy HELP! Bike died plus new rider so SUPER lost :/

Don't think it's a battery problem. When it first died each start up got weaker and weaker till it wouldn't even crank over, I left it sitting for a few days then uncovered to try cranking again and it turned on so don't think it's the battery? Idle sits at practically 0 when it does start and in neutral will stay on slightly longer then when I put it in first and almost immediately dies. Regardless of being in gear or neutral it dies out and fairly quick (about 10-15 seconds) and if I give any gas (whether in N or 1st) it dies out immediately... I'm new to riding as well as knowledge of bikes as well so really clueless! Really would appreciate some HELP!
skd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fellow rider lost lnghrn4lif General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 01-24-2010 04:59 AM
my bike died... tmilheiser General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 04-30-2009 02:15 AM
tribute to a lost rider friend RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 02-28-2008 08:24 PM
lost a houston rider..from HI 2XTURBO General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 11-15-2006 02:42 PM
Rider died today dokoliday General Discussion (Moto Related) 43 09-08-2005 01:30 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
smokinjoe
Seņor Membero

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Honor Cycle 5000
╯°□°)╯┻━┻

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to smokinjoe
What kind of bike? year, model, make...
Old 10-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #3
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

What make/model/year of motorcycle?

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!-SOLD
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more sold

Dead battery
Old 10-09-2014, 02:01 PM   #5
skd23

Member Garage

2005 yamaha r6
Old 10-09-2014, 02:08 PM   #6
skd23

Member Garage

And after buying the bike, which was pretty recent (about 3 months), I put a brand new battery in it that's also another reason why I didn't think it really could be the battery. I have a trickle charger so I was thinking I will take it out and charge it over night and see whether that could be the problem first to be able to eliminate whether it's a battery problem or not?
Old 10-09-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

I'm thinking your problem with dying is caused by a weak battery, which is likely a symptom of a charging system problem (burnt stator or voltage regulator).

Get the battery charged up, and when it starts and runs do your tests on the charging system. If it doesn't start after that, we'll go from there.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #8
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

What part of town are you in?
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #9
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

Battery or reg/rectifier, probably battery.
TomballD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:03 PM   #10
UniFiddy
You member

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2005 CRF 450x Motard
2006 CRF 250r Dirt
Monster CRF50/88 4 speed (Street Legal) Texas' Fastest fiddy!
Brodyman XR50 (Street Legal)

bypass the kick stand switch.
My track bike had those exact symptoms!
UniFiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:32 PM   #11
Trish

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 CBR600rr
2006 DRZ400SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniFiddy View Post
bypass the kick stand switch.
My track bike had those exact symptoms!
So did my DRZ.
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #12
skd23

Member Garage

Thumbs up

Jae- How would I test the charging system? Sorry complete newbie, trying to learn the terminology..

R6 Racer- I'm in Webster right off of 45 and off of E. Medical Center by the Bay Area regional hospital, how about you?

Tomball D- What is the rectificer or reg?

UniFiddy- Do you have any idea if that is usually color coded or where it is located on an 05 R6?? And just for the sake of the knowledge what even is the kickstand switch? I've seen a few people posting about bypassing it and how it helped their situations but I've never known what it was.

But appreciate the immediate help you guys! Hopefully get her up and running again ASAP!
Old 10-09-2014, 06:53 PM   #13
WbDDoT
Brazoria County Bikers

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha YZF-R1
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
1996 Yamaha YZ 125
1995 Suzuki GS600 Katana (Sold)
2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skd23 View Post
Jae- How would I test the charging system? Sorry complete newbie, trying to learn the terminology..

R6 Racer- I'm in Webster right off of 45 and off of E. Medical Center by the Bay Area regional hospital, how about you?

Tomball D- What is the rectificer or reg?

UniFiddy- Do you have any idea if that is usually color coded or where it is located on an 05 R6?? And just for the sake of the knowledge what even is the kickstand switch? I've seen a few people posting about bypassing it and how it helped their situations but I've never known what it was.

But appreciate the immediate help you guys! Hopefully get her up and running again ASAP!
Kickstand switch kills the motor when bike is in gear and kickstand is down. Sometimes they will malfunction and not allow the motor to run even when in neutral.

Stator is basically like an alternator and the rectifier/reg changes the voltage from ac to dc. Either one could effect your charging system.

Test your charging system with a volt meter to see how many volts you're getting to the battery when the bike is running. You should be getting around 14V i believe. If you are not very mechanically savvy you may want to take it to a mechanic. There are some reputable mechanics on the MH Sponsor section.
WbDDoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:21 PM   #14
myla296

Feedback Rating: (1)

I have the same year and model bike, I love it. I only ride it on the track now.
-do to the voltage check like they said
-see if the front sprocket could be throwing a lot of grease onto the kickstand sensor, like mine was. (my bike would die when I was pitting in, doesn't do it anymore)
-Patrick runs "Motorcycles Unlimited" and is active on here and cares about feedback. However, you want to know a lot before you rely on someone else to work on your bike so research what you can so you know what they're supposed to do and can explain what they've done.

We've avoided using other people to service our bikes for the most part, it's our life on those two wheels and no one will care for that work like we do. So, learn what you can. It will be worth it.
myla296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:50 PM   #15
dinosaur
Retired in place

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'05 Zx6-R (636)Sold

I can help after I get out of P.T. Probably a little after lunch time. Call Patrick and see if he would have time to look at it.

Motorcycles Unlimited 281 444 0545
CMRA #414
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:16 PM   #16
pbfoot

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000

Battery should have 12.65 volts with the engine off. 14.3 to 13.6 while running. Yamahas' are notorious for the stator going bad. $400 to fix.The shops will usually replace the voltage regulator first.
pbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:29 PM   #17
r6racer
track

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

im in the north west part of town, if you bring the bike to me i could help you look through some stuff with you and try to help you out
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:10 AM   #18
skd23

Member Garage

WbDDot- okay ya I read up on the kickstand switch and if I remember correctly I have had the bike run a few times and forgot to kick the stand up while in 1st going down the street till I heard a little scrape which made me realize it was still down and kicked it up so would that mean the switch is completely dead and not working, but if it's dead shouldn't the engine cut-off? Or is that what "bypassing" allows you to do? And for the charging system any idea where that is located on a bike or mine to be exact? Or is that just something I need to google? Or do you mean when the battery is hooked up, run the bike, check voltage then kill it and check it when off?

myla296- since you have the same year where exactly is the switch located? And for the sake of knowing, what do you mean when you say "pitting in"? But ya that's one main reason I wanted a used bike really want to learn how to maintain it myself then soon learn to be able to do that with my car, don't wanna go through the extensive charges of shops and not knowing what is actually getting fixed or if I'm signing a sheet of paper and handing over money...

dinosaur- thanks for the reference! Definitely will have to hit him up for some insight but what area do you stay in?

pbfoot- I've read up on that and saw that to be true for sure, so hypothetically, if that was the problem is it a tough fix for a DIY? Or something you generally need to take to a shop?

r6racer- that'd be awesome, lemme get her up and running again and then I'll definitely be hitting you up for some advice and a check-up on her whenever you're available.

-Besides that I have the battery on the trickle charger right now actually and seems to be true that that could be a problem because it's been on there for almost 4 hours now and still about 80% there so after I hook it back up tomorrow I'll let you guys know whether she's back up and running, if she does turn over would you say she's okay to actually ride or would I have to be worried about her dying out on me while riding or when I get to a destination and have to crank her back up? Just eager to ride...
Old 10-10-2014, 12:25 AM   #19
pbfoot

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000

skd23- If you are mechanically inclined it can be done. Get a service manual. That is how I learned to work on vehicles 30 some odd years ago.
pbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:32 AM   #20
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by skd23 View Post
Don't think it's a battery problem. When it first died each start up got weaker and weaker till it wouldn't even crank over, I left it sitting for a few days then uncovered to try cranking again and it turned on so don't think it's the battery? Idle sits at practically 0 when it does start and in neutral will stay on slightly longer then when I put it in first and almost immediately dies. Regardless of being in gear or neutral it dies out and fairly quick (about 10-15 seconds) and if I give any gas (whether in N or 1st) it dies out immediately... I'm new to riding as well as knowledge of bikes as well so really clueless! Really would appreciate some HELP!
You say it dies out whether in neutral or in gear, correct?
If that's the case it won't be the kick stand switch.
Had you just gotten some fuel? A load of bad gas will make the bike not want to run. Do you have gas in the bike?
Continually trying to start it because it won't run/barely runs can run the battery down quickly.
Will it stay running if you give it some throttle in neutral?
What's the bike idled at?
Since you have a trickle charger put the battery on that overnight so it's fully charged.
If you have a volt meter make some basic checks:
Pull the seat off and make sure the battery cable connections are tight and not corroded.
With the bike off check voltage, at the battery it should be 12-12.4 volts.
See if the bike will start. If you can, have someone slightly rev the bike 3000-5000 rpm and check voltage, it should be at least 13 volts.
Post up what you find.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement