MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2014, 12:34 AM   #21
DLite
David

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'06 Triumph D675
'03 R6 (Track)
'07 HD Street Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo92 View Post
Suing is for . We all know the risks of riding on the track.

The guy made a mistake. A HUGE mistake, but a mistake none the less.

There's a big difference between making a mistake, and plain up. That was the latter.
DLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MY FIRST TRACKDAY AT TWS (Texas World Speedway) WITH RIDESMART solo 1 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 6 03-05-2012 06:47 PM
Ridesmart @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) gofast353 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 10 11-28-2010 11:15 PM
Please Help For Ridesmart TWS (Texas World Speedway) If at all possible yellowjacket General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 09-06-2009 01:21 AM
5/25 Ridesmart @TWS (Texas World Speedway) crzy88 Events, Meets and Rides 0 05-03-2009 11:40 PM
RideSmart TWS (Texas World Speedway) Pics? TrevorC General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 06-22-2008 12:18 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2014, 12:47 AM   #22
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

There are different lines and closing speeds at every track. It is up to the rider to make a safe pass from behind.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:26 AM   #23
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLite View Post
There's a big difference between making a mistake, and plain up. That was the latter.
My point (made blunty with an attempt at humor) is that it wasn't intentional. If people sued every time there was a track incident, we wouldn't have track time at all.

I have seen GOOD riders have major brain farts that resulted in accidents.

The rider that was hit acknowledges this is a risk we take. He had good insurance, he knew his equipment was at risk, etc. It happens.

It sucks donkey , but it happens.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:27 AM   #24
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

I like taking a higher line and diving in so I can see whats going on so I can avoid stuff like this.
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-07-2014, 08:29 AM   #25
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

You said the guy who had his wheel ahead of tankmonkey said it wasn't his fault? Why did he say it was or was not his fault?
Old 10-07-2014, 08:36 AM   #26
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6racer View Post
You said the guy who had his wheel ahead of tankmonkey said it wasn't his fault? Why did he say it was or was not his fault?
I'm not sure. I'll acknowledge I was because of it, but now that I've had a little time, I think it is possible when you do something like that, you want to try to blame someone/something else as part of human nature. We have all seen people do this at different levels; "I hit a rock" (no rock), "I hit the paint stripe and it was slick" (everyone else rides over it all day with no issues), "The wind from a passing truck blew me off course" (all other 20 riders weren't affected); "The guy didn't give me any room on the pass" (there was ten feet of track); etc.

I am hopeful the guy will come around to realizing what he did AND acknowledge it for HIMSELF. If he can't wrap his head around his actions causing this, then he really doesn't need to be on the track again.

If he (or anyone else) can to come grips with a major screw-up, they can learn from it and become better, safer riders. That's really the whole point of what we do at track days isn't it?
The Problem - Endurance
Liked this post:
Old 10-07-2014, 08:51 AM   #27
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Man I think tankmnky should have just taken the regular race line through there to avoid stuff like this and to be able to watch for other riders including himself. Youre a instructor right? You should know the higher line is safer and allows you to see more riders and maybe advise him to take the safer line to watch for himself? guy on the top swept down pretty quick and unexpectedly making himself unpredictable but also at the same time his front wheel was ahead of tank monkeys. Also it looks like tm was carrying good speed in there, and the guy on top was carrying some fair speed also but possibly assumed tm was slower since he was on the bottom part of the track

But remember im not blaming either rider just stating some observations from the video and asking questions since im not sure
Old 10-07-2014, 08:53 AM   #28
exalted512
Slow^^^

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
, ridesmart is holding events at ECR and TWS (Texas World Speedway) on the same weekend?

The dude that took the high line had some crazyyyyy rash. Definitely not ever buying a rev'it anything after seeing that.
-Cody
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:56 AM   #29
exalted512
Slow^^^

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
Quote:
Man I think tankmnky should have just taken the regular race line through there to avoid stuff like this and to be able to watch for other riders including himself. Youre a instructor right? You should know the higher line is safer and allows you to see more riders and maybe advise him to take the safer line to watch for himself? guy on the top swept down pretty quick and unexpectedly making himself unpredictable but also at the same time his front wheel was ahead of tank monkeys. Also it looks like tm was carrying good speed in there, and the guy on top was carrying some fair speed also but possibly assumed tm was slower since he was on the bottom part of the track

But remember im not blaming either rider just stating some observations from the video and asking questions since im not sure
I take the low line sometimes when racing if I know someone is trying to catch a draft from me. I'm not sure I've seen anything like this. I really can't comprehend what was going through the other rider's mind. If I make a pass like that in T1, knowing there can be a huge speed differential, I'm at least 15' away from the rider unless I know them/their speed & line. I really can't even wrap my head around this one :(
-Cody
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-07-2014, 09:04 AM   #30
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:

You are incorrect, your assumption is that your opinion is the only correct answer. I say that as part of the discussion, not with ill intent.

His front wheel was in front because he cut him off without regard for the other rider's line. The wheel in front argument is not valid here. He T-bones him basically when Tankmonkey would have no idea he was coming in. Had he run along side a bit, then turned in, there may be some validity to your point. With this closing speed and the line he took, there is not.

I think he assumed Tankmonkey would slow going into one. If you have taken that line, you may realize that that close low line is smooth (after a brief bump or two) and many can carry more speed through one because of it.

The "regular race line' depends on who you ask. MANY take the low line and argue it is faster and safer. DO NOT assume the low line rider is slower EVER, if you want to be safe.

There was ZERO chance of recovery from Tankmonkey. The high line rider had a visual on a rider he was overtaking and CHOSE to cut across ALL other possible lines through that turn by aiming for the end of pit wall which literally cuts off all other lines from high to low.

Since you and I have some history of disagreement, I'll let others give their two cents, but that is mine.
The Problem - Endurance

Last edited by Tojo92; 10-07-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:20 AM   #31
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo92 View Post

His front wheel was in front because he cut him off without regard for the other rider's line. The wheel in front argument is not valid here. He T-bones him basically when Tankmonkey would have no idea he was coming in. Had he run along side a bit, then turned in, there may be some validity to your point. With this closing speed and the line he took, there is not.

I think he assumed Tankmonkey would slow going into one. If you have taken that line, you may realize that that close low line is smooth (after a brief bump or two) and many can carry more speed through one because of it.

The "regular race line' depends on who you ask. MANY take the low line and argue it is faster and safer. DO NOT assume the low line rider is slower EVER, if you want to be safe.
Okay I see your point about the front wheel part, that rider didnt really show him a front wheel he just popped up and said boom. But how was he suppose to know tankmonkey was there, I dont think he had any clue

The regular race line I just took it from ty howard and brandt that showed me the same one. Also ive just heard from other people as well the high line is safer cause you can watch out for other riders better. And I feel like this video is backing that up pretty well right now.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #32
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankmonkey View Post
I don't think I was riding unpredictably or erratically and I'm pretty sure I was on a 'normal' low line for that corner. But y'all can see and decide for yourselves - I'm certainly willing to listen to a well reasoned critique. Lord knows I'm still learning stuff every time I go out on the track...
The responsibility is always of the one who's passing unless you are riding unpredictably or erratically which you were not! We race against each other on the 250's and we played together with our 600's before I know how consistent and good of a rider your are. That was uncalled for... I hope you get an apology and reimbursement for all your trouble.
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-07-2014, 09:29 AM   #33
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Okay I see your point about the front wheel part, that rider didnt really show him a front wheel he just popped up and said boom. But how was he suppose to know tankmonkey was there, I dont think he had any clue

The regular race line I just took it from ty howard and brandt that showed me the same one. Also ive just heard from other people as well the high line is safer cause you can watch out for other riders better. And I feel like this video is backing that up pretty well right now.
You counter yourself a bit if you read the bold.

Yes, you can see more higher up and I like to take it at times for that reason as well to mix things up. He knows TM was there because he was approaching from the highline that allows you to see everything (as you just pointed out), especially a bike you are overtaking from a higher vantage point.

I am saying that there is not ONE race line, there are many at a track like TWS (Texas World Speedway). Opinions vary. DO NOT ASSUME A LOW LINE IS SLOWER. I see riders take the highline then PARK it before diving in because their nads shrink. TM (and others) run the low line because on their bikes, they can maintain a higher speed continuously through the turn.
The Problem - Endurance
Old 10-07-2014, 09:29 AM   #34
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:

Let me make sure I'm understanding you correctly, the higher line(which the other rider took) has better visibility to look for other riders, but he couldn't be expected to see a rider on the low line(tank monkey)?

I agree the other rider didn't see TM but only because he wasn't looking.
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #35
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
, ridesmart is holding events at ECR and TWS (Texas World Speedway) on the same weekend? -Cody
??? how is that possible?
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #36
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:

Odd, I've heard directly from Ty's mouth to take the low line.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #37
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by 392 View Post
Mistake on track org
Cody and Rod -
He already acknowledged the error.
The Problem - Endurance
Liked this post:
Old 10-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #38
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

That rider was already passed tank monkey at that point, well his point of vision at least

Last edited by r6racer; 10-07-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #39
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
That rider was already passed tank monkey at that point.

He didn't pass him. He collided with him. Had he passed him, he wouldn't have had an impact.

About a fraction of a second (literally) before he hit him, he appeared to his right.

EDIT: I've said all I can, I'll leave it for others from this point forward.
The Problem - Endurance
Old 10-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #40
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
That rider was already passed tank monkey at that point, well his point of vision at least

His responsibility is to make the ENTIRE PASS safely. Not just up-to-the-point-I-can't-see-him-anymore. ESPECIALLY because this is a trackday.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement