MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Anti-Helmet Law guy Bruce Arnold

Interesting email I keep getting from this guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce@LdrLongDistanceRider.com
Attention: This is a political communication dealing with motorcyclists'
rights and motorcycle awareness issues. To insure that you continue to receive emails like this from us, please add "bruce@ldrlongdistancerider.com" to your address book and safe senders list.
To no longer receive our emails, simply reply to this email with REMOVE in the subject line.

Fellow Riders and Freedom Fighters:

The message that "May is Motorcycle Awareness Month" was apparently never delivered to motorists in and around Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, where "Myrtle Beach Bike Week 2007" ends tomorrow. With one day remaining, the score now stands at CAGERS 4, BIKERS 0. That's right... Negligent, inattentive, distracted and/or impaired motorists have MURDERED FOUR MOTORCYCLISTS in Myrtle Beach this week:

1. Motorcyclist James Bragg, 43, was killed when his bike was rear-ended by an automobile driver. And the cager's penalty for this right-of-way violation? No ticket has been issued, and no arrest has been made.

2. Motorcyclist Donny Macklen, 51, was killed in a crash caused by an automobile driver violating his right-of-way and turning left in front of him. And the penalty? No mention of any charges.

3. Motorcyclist Michael Delamere, a US Marine, was also killed in a crash caused by an automobile driver violating his right-of-way and turning left in front of him. And the negligent cager's penalty? A failure-to-yield
ticket.

4. Motorcyclist Steve Sink, 54, was likewise killed in a crash caused by an automobile driver violating his right-of-way and turning left in front of
him. And that driver's penalty? No ticket has been issued, and no arrest
has been made.

Kill a Biker ... and go to jail? NOPE.

Kill a Biker ... and lose your license? NOPE.

Kill a Biker ... and pay a fine? PROBABLY NOT.

How long are we going to sit back and let the safetycrats spin statistics to convince the media and the masses that motorcyclists are the problem, and that helmet laws are the solution? LIDS YES ... BUT LID LAWS NO! HELMET LAWS COULD NOT HAVE PREVENTED ANY OF THESE FATAL CRASHES.

When are we going to stop kissing bureaucratic butts for a few measly Motorcycle Safety bucks, and start kicking with corporate social responsibility (CSR) and other independently-funded MOTORCYCLE AWARENESS campaigns?

Remember WHY WE FIGHT: The battle for bikers' rights is not about patches, parties or poker runs. We fight to protect the freedom and promote the interests of American motorcyclists ... to defend our right to choose our own modes of transportation, attire and lifestyle ... to deter and defy discrimination against us ... and to vanquish those who violate our rights or right-of-way.

IT IS TIME WE STOP FIGHTING EACH OTHER, AND START TAKING THIS FIGHT TO THE CAGERS WHO ARE KILLING US!

Speaking strictly for myself and no other individuals or organizations,

Bruce Arnold

Bruce@LdrLongDistanceRider.com
Author and Publisher, LdrLongDistanceRider.com Co-Moderator, Bruce-n-Ray's Biker Forum Premier Member, Iron Association Sustaining Member, Motorcycle Riders Foundation Member and Elite Legislative Supporter, American Motorcyclist Association

Ok so we have had a lot of crashes and deaths this year as a result of the motorcyclist, a person in a cage or what have you. Then this guy sends me this. It makes me kind of upset. It makes me upset because he tends to put the blame on people in cages. Yes, they might have caused the crash by making a simple mistake. One that might not have killed someone had they been in a car. But the fact of the matter is that these are minor accidents that turned into fatalities. There is no mention of safety gear, helmets, speeding on the MCís part, alcohol, drugs, no MSF, no MC license or a combination. All of these guys were going to/leaving from a MC rally in NC which leads me to believe that they were not wearing protective gear. He makes it seem that he wants the death penalty for anyone that has an accident with a guy on a MC. While it is sad that these guys died, all of the burden should not be placed on the cagerís head. Accidents are just that, accidents. If this cager did the same to another car, the citation would be issued and weíd call it a day. It is the cost of doing business so to speak. It isnít the cagerís fault that the guy on the MC didnít want to wear the gear or was perhaps speeding. I think that we as motorcyclist need to own up to our responsibility before someone else like the lawyers and legislators come up with a way to enforce something upon us that we may not like. So gear up, stay aware and always have a way out when you are riding.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Texas anti-text messaging law FKNA The Circus 88 05-06-2011 12:52 PM
Anti-Sagging Law - Pull Up or Pay Up!! Milez28 Off Topic 62 09-29-2008 03:44 PM
Discussion Regarding Helmet Law & Gear Law specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 124 06-30-2008 09:09 AM
This is sure to start a debate - Arizona new anti illegal immigrant law Ridesmart Off Topic 15 12-24-2007 09:18 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2007, 01:39 PM   #2
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

+1
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:46 PM   #3
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

+2

Besides, there are always civil suits.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:52 PM   #4
DanteLee
Sexy Dynamite

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
suzuki katana 96(sold)
honda cbr f4i 06 (sold)
ride my neighbors harley cuz he doesnt ride it

im torn on the issue have to see how it progresses in the future
Old 05-21-2007, 02:01 PM   #5
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

I don't like helmet laws. They suck. It should be the bikers choice to wear one or not not the dang govt. I agree with the guy on that aspect. I wear my lid now but I use not too. But no matter what I don't want some cop telling me i have to or I get a ticket. There are too many dang laws already.
gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:03 PM   #6
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

One of the biggest things that me off is the lax / non-existant penalties for car drivers hitting or hitting anmd running a motorcyclist.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:16 PM   #7
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

I agree to a point that there should be at least a traffic ticket.

As for killing someone in an accident that was caused by behavior such as cutting in front of someone, etc., yes, it may be put in perspective.

The car driver's argument could be that if he had hit someone in a car with side impact airbags and a roll cage, that person would've just been fine. I think that is what Brian is referring to.

I think we motorcyclists can start asking for responsibility when we do our part, such as not excessively speeding and wearing our gear. When we got all our x crossed, then we can start blaming the cars.

I caused two accidents in my life and I am glad nobody got hurt.
I always get nervous when driving in my truck around a biker with no helmet. If I hit him and kill him, what would that mean for me? If he had been wearing a helmet and that could've saved his life, is it my fault if I kill the motorcyclist?
Old 05-21-2007, 02:17 PM   #8
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

I have to partially disagree with you.

There's no such thing as an accident. Someone is always to blame for a vehicle crash. If the driver rear-ends or turns left in front of another vehicle then they've violated the other vehicles ROW. Death due to negligent behaviour used to be called manslaughter but I guess that doesn't apply to drivers. People need to be held more accountable for their actions ... which apparently we no longer do in this country.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:20 PM   #9
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

[QUOTE=denhou1974]I have to partially disagree with you.

There's no such thing as an accident. Someone is always to blame for a vehicle crash. If the driver rear-ends or turns left in front of another vehicle then they've violated the other vehicles ROW. Death due to negligent behaviour used to be called manslaughter but I guess that doesn't apply to drivers. People need to be held more accountable for their actions ... which apparently we no longer do in this country.[/QUOTE]

+1

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:22 PM   #10
therky42

Bike(s):
2006 VTX 1300C, YZ 250

^^^+2
Old 05-21-2007, 02:24 PM   #11
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by denhou1974
People need to be held more accountable for their actions ... which apparently we no longer do in this country.
+1
Well, that goes both ways, doesn't it.

Don't drink and ride. Don't speed.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:35 PM   #12
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

what i got out of that email is that he is throwing a fit about motorcyclists being killed by cagers but doesn't want there to be a helmet law, am i misinterpreting that? that doesn't make much sense
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:37 PM   #13
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

I am an avid proponent of gear - good gear - all the time - ask anyone that knows me ---- that being said gear won't help in blunt force trauma - your body hitting the side of a mini van that turns in front of you - it's lights out. The defense that we should have been in a cage with airbags is bs - if you were in a car with lots of airbags side impact etc and you get killed, then would a good defense be you should have been in a loaded concrete truck?
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:44 PM   #14
MadseasoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia
Well, that goes both ways, doesn't it.

Don't drink and ride. Don't speed.
You're making an assumption that the biker was drinking and/or speeding. We don't know if that's true.

In the examples listed we do know for a fact that someone broke the law and killed another person in the process. Traffic laws are supposed to protect all of us from idiots. If I had my way - these people would lose their driving privledges forever. Sounds like the justice system is dropping the ball.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:48 PM   #15
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce
Remember WHY WE FIGHT: The battle for bikers' rights is not about patches, parties or poker runs. We fight to protect the freedom and promote the interests of American motorcyclists ...
Patches, parties and poker runs. Oh, such is the life of a R.U.B.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:49 PM   #16
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhou1974
You're making an assumption that the biker was drinking and/or speeding. We don't know if that's true.
You are making an assumption that it is not true.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for people having to pay for consequences but there are always two sides to a story.

This guy is clearly biased and yes, his going from (as sbfuller said) "throwing a fit about motorcyclists being killed by cagers but doesn't want there to be a helmet law" in one breath does irk me a bit.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:09 PM   #17
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
One of the biggest things that me off is the lax / non-existant penalties for car drivers hitting or hitting and running a motorcyclist.
My last wreck was with a cager that turned left in front of me. I totalled my Mladin into the side of his car and went flying. When I got up HE WAS GONE! Dude just drove off, luckily though a couple people followed him.
They took him to jail but all he got was the ticket for the wreck and failure to stop and render aid/exchange information.
NO hit and run.
NO leaving the scene of an accident.

poor I say.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:13 PM   #18
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

No one is immune from being involved in one way or the other. If you drive a cage, bike, walk etc. You could be on either side of the fence. I am sorry that I don't see it the way Den and Patrick do. I myself as many of you know was a victim of someone turning left in front of me and I was paralyzed as a result. The person driving the cage was not ticketed nor was I. He violated my lane and I was going above the speed limit as well. We both contributed to the accident. Sometimes you are on the good end of the deal meaning that you didn't get hurt and sometime you are on the other. I don't think that in my case that the driver should have been taken to jail if he killed me. Maybe ticketed but that's it. A simple mistake took my freedom of walking and living a normal life away. I very well could have been on the other side of the fence and I would not have wanted to go to jail just because I had an accident nor would I want them to loose my license forever. We have to accept what happened and move on. Prosecuting people isn't going to help the situation. You could compare it to the redlight cameras. They haven't stopped people from running them. I think that it is up to the individual person to protect themselves. The only person that you are truly in dept to is yourself.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:19 PM   #19
MadseasoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia
You are making an assumption that it is not true.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for people having to pay for consequences but there are always two sides to a story.

This guy is clearly biased and yes, his going from (as sbfuller said) "throwing a fit about motorcyclists being killed by cagers but doesn't want there to be a helmet law" in one breath does irk me a bit.
Then show me where it says that the bikers were drunk and speeding. I missed that.

This is the point of the guy's email: Traffic laws, which are intended to ensure safety of others around you, are not being enforced. Instead the focus is on the rider who is only putting himself in danger by not wearing a helmet. Plain and simple.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:32 PM   #20
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

"Then show me where it says that the bikers were drunk and speeding. I missed that.
This is the point of the guy's email: Traffic laws, which are intended to ensure safety of others around you, are not being enforced. Instead the focus is on the rider who is only putting himself in danger by not wearing a helmet. Plain and simple."

Show me where any REAL accurate information is provided...

"1. Motorcyclist James Bragg, 43, was killed when his bike was rear-ended by an automobile driver. And the cager's penalty for this right-of-way violation? No ticket has been issued, and no arrest has been made."

Date, how long was the investigation?

"2. Motorcyclist Donny Macklen, 51, was killed in a crash caused by an automobile driver violating his right-of-way and turning left in front of him. And the penalty? No mention of any charges."
and if Donny was doing 75 in a 35...maybe that might have had some bearing in regards to this?

The short of it is, there's not enough data provided to make judgement...but all factors need involving in an accident need to be taken in consideration in situations like these before any 'punishment' in meted out.

Advertisement