MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2007, 05:02 PM   #81
cyclesnoopy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2009 ninja 650r

Send a message via Yahoo to cyclesnoopy
i started riding when i was a kid, so there were no fear issues for me at the time.

after about a 15 year span where i didnt ride, there was some initial concern on my part when i did get back on the roads, but that quickly went away.

go at your own pace and you will be fine.
cyclesnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How long till marquez kills someone?? Grinchy Taking it to the Track 24 11-12-2012 07:13 PM
how long till i receive my title? Infinite Off Topic 4 07-10-2012 08:50 PM
How Long After MSF Till I'm Ready? makushr1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 10-29-2009 10:04 AM
asian girls get scared...watch it till the end....funny stuff flip326 Off Topic 11 10-02-2005 04:40 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2007, 05:02 PM   #82
Candie

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
That's an awesome offer..but I'm sure I will be asking a lot of questions and slowing you guys down a lot. Are you sure you want that? lol

Moody: Thanks for the tip!
It has been my experience that the truly good riders don't not mind questions nor putting aroung with you until you are more comfortable! So if someone offers jump on it, it will be the best learning experience you will get! Just be careful who you ride!
Old 05-21-2007, 09:34 PM   #83
H2447INTX
H2447INTX-he is legendary

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2011 kingquad 750axi
08 H.D.Softail Deluxe

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
Go play at the track a few times and build your confidence and your ability together. You will have a blast.
never been on a track but some day i will and yes this is a good idea. i still do not like to get in to tomuch traf. i try to stay away from like houston, but hey you know how all them people drive any way:laughing6
Old 05-21-2007, 09:36 PM   #84
H2447INTX
H2447INTX-he is legendary

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2011 kingquad 750axi
08 H.D.Softail Deluxe

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575
the track is no place for a beginner. some basic bike control and confidence is needed or he will be a track hazzard. get some miles under your belt and take the advanced course.
i think a beginners class would help!
Old 05-21-2007, 09:42 PM   #85
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2447INTX
i think a beginners class would help!
I meant the advanced riders course not track course.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:02 PM   #86
infidel
drpickles

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

it takes time to get used to the cars i hate riding in traffic . ride the neighborhood and then try a short trip to walmart and then just ease yourself into it don't decide one morning at 8am im ride downtown. as for mirrors they do suck i dont use them i have them but i turn my head everytime it alot safer that way. as for glasses i wear sun glasses under my visor everyday .prolly not the best idea but i do it anyways cause i can't stand the sun and hate tinted visors seems i alway get stuck after dark with my dark smoke on and it sucks not i take my glasses off and i already have my clear
infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:15 AM   #87
MagnaMan
Peg Scraper

Bike(s):
99 Honda Magna

I haven't read all the posts here, yet, but my two cents are this.

Do not go to the track right from the start
I hear a lot of people say "take it to the track" to a new rider. I don't believe this is wise until you've mastered the basics.

I love track days. But... The track does not teach you: emergency stopping, basic cornering, swerving/evasive manuevers, low speed turns, head and eyes up. These are all things you need for street riding. Yes, you learned all these skills in the MSF course but you need to have them ingrained so the are 1st nature (not even 2nd nature).

I suggest practicing these skills in the parking lot for 30 to 45 minutes before going on short rides in the desolate areas you mentioned. Mastering these skills will increase your confidence much quicker than just riding around the neighborhood. At the conclusion of my MSF course, I received a handy little book full of drills you can do it a parking lot using the spaces for distance.

After you have mastered these skills and feel more confident on the road, THEN I would go to the track. There are too many new riders at the track who can't perform basic cornering. If you can't corner without braking or rolling off the throttle then you shouldn't be there, and you should be back in the parking lot practicing the Look, Lean, Press, and Roll.

As far as being a little bit scared. I would say a little bit is healthy. You want to channel the fear to apprehension and use it always keep you on your toes. Your first six months or riding have a pretty high danger factor, but the most dangerous time in riding a motorcycle is actually your 2nd to 3rd year. This is generally because riders have overcome their fear and actually become a little over confident.

Other resources
If you're looking for some good resources for building your skills I would suggest:
Video:
Ride Like A Pro
Surviving the Mean Streets

both can be purchased at www.ridelikeapro.com and he offers discounts to large groups like motohouston.

Book:
Proficient Motorcycling
More Proficient Motorcycling
I haven't even finished these books, but they are awesome.

If you want to practice some basic parking lot drills, just holler at me some time. I'll be the first one to say, it never hurts to practice, no matter how long you've been riding.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:49 AM   #88
MagnaMan
Peg Scraper

Bike(s):
99 Honda Magna

Mirrors
I have a cruiser so my mirrors are larger. Here's what works for me...

First of all I trust my mirrors, because I know where my blind spots are and what areas they are showing me. I think it's far more dangerous to turn around and look all the way behind me than to use a properly adjust mirror. Because all the time I'm looking behind me I'm not looking in the direction I'm going. Plus if I turn myself around that far then I am likely to apply some steering to the handlebars that I don't want.

I set my mirrors up this way:
My right mirror is angled more directly behind me. I can see my shoulder and arm in the mirror when it's set up correctly. This let's me use it like a rear view mirror in a car. This is especially handy at stop lights to make sure you don't get rear-ended.

This does mean that I have a larger blind spot on my right hand side. But I've found it's easier for me to head check my right hand side than my left and I know to check back a little further.

My left hand mirror is adjusted so that it skims right past my left shoulder. This gives me a broad view of the road behind me and more of my left blind spot.

When setting your mirrors up, you can get a friend to move around behind and to the the side of you so you can see where your blind spots are and experiment.

Since I use my body as a point of reference for the mirrors, I can always re-set my mirrors when sitting on the bike if they get knocked around.

Your mileage may vary. I don't know what sports bike mirrors are like. Regardless of the mirror set-up. I always head-check blind spots. I just try not to head check all the way behind me.

Glasses/Sunglasses
If you need them to see, wear them. If you need sunglasses, I prefer tinted faceshields. But I always carry my clear one for night riding. If I think I'm going to be out after dark and I don't have a way to carry another shield then I change out to my Scorpion photosensitive shield that darkens in the sun and goes clear at night.

Practicing
I got through reading the posts. I see you're near a few High Schools where I practiced my parking lot drills. Their parking lots are deserted on weekends. Holler if you want to practice and then go for a ride.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:41 AM   #89
50fool
AD

Bike(s):
2003 636, 2004 crf50

I bought my first bike in Austin and rode it back to Houston. It was the first time I ever rode a street bike and ever rode in traffic. I did fine. I was confident because I had experience with dirtbikes and I just went with it. Got home w/o a hitch and really learned how to drive the bike on the trip home.
50fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:34 AM   #90
soap4life
Reverend

Bike(s):
z1000

Send a message via AIM to soap4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr pickles
it takes time to get used to the cars i hate riding in traffic . ride the neighborhood and then try a short trip to walmart and then just ease yourself into it don't decide one morning at 8am im ride downtown. as for mirrors they do suck i dont use them i have them but i turn my head everytime it alot safer that way. as for glasses i wear sun glasses under my visor everyday .prolly not the best idea but i do it anyways cause i can't stand the sun and hate tinted visors seems i alway get stuck after dark with my dark smoke on and it sucks not i take my glasses off and i already have my clear
haha i never even used mine so i took them off
Old 05-22-2007, 11:08 AM   #91
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
That's an awesome offer..but I'm sure I will be asking a lot of questions and slowing you guys down a lot. Are you sure you want that? lol
Absolutely no problem. Just forwarding a favor. Without any mentors, no way I could be where I am today.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:18 AM   #92
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaMan
I got through reading the posts. I see you're near a few High Schools where I practiced my parking lot drills. Their parking lots are deserted on weekends. Holler if you want to practice and then go for a ride.
Let's do this together. I can definitely use some parking lot drills myself.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:53 PM   #93
Andy
Draped up

Bike(s):
2004 R6

wonderful. lets set this up sometime soon
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement