Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2007, 07:55 AM   #61
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBritt04R6
Funniest Quote EVER!

Tell me more about these riser blocks you speak of Witch, I might be interested.

Britt
blocks that go between your fairing and mirror mount.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/220/
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How long till marquez kills someone?? Grinchy Taking it to the Track 24 11-12-2012 07:13 PM
how long till i receive my title? Infinite Off Topic 4 07-10-2012 08:50 PM
How Long After MSF Till I'm Ready? makushr1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 10-29-2009 10:04 AM
asian girls get scared...watch it till the end....funny stuff flip326 Off Topic 11 10-02-2005 04:40 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2007, 07:59 AM   #62
AWD
Cruise'n

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'06 600rr

Send a message via AIM to AWD Send a message via Yahoo to AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
So I was riding around the back streets of my area where maybe 3-4 cars are on every hour or so..and I'm thinking..I wonder how long everybody rode their bikes till they were okay with going into real streets with a lot of cars.

I'm still a huge new rider..and I'm pretty scared to take it anywhere but the backroads or around my neighborhood..I've taken the MSF course already which taught a lot..but that doesn't mean you grow over night.

Any advice, tips, suggestions on how to make my riding experience a whole lot less scary? ha.ha.

Since you got the basics down, get a friend or two who got some miles under there belt. Just have them ride with you when when you ride. They can block traffic incase you stall/etc. Have one lead when getting on the freeway so you can see what he does. The one in the back can block for you aswell. After your first time, you'll realize how easy it is getting on. It's almost like drivers ed again. The freeway was a sinch after your first time. Good luck be safe.
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:15 AM   #63
gallo
MSF Instructor

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'02 road king
'06 road king

Take your time...you have the rest of your life to ride motorcycles, no matter how long or short it is. After practicing in the neighborhood for awhile move out to the surface streets until your skill and comfort level increases...just like the MSF course, take it one step at a time. Good luck and Great riding.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:15 AM   #64
jrock
straight shooter

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
I got my 1st bike in 93-94 and hit the interstate right away. Took rides to Galveston and San Antonio and Dallas every weekend just for the thrill of going. Got lost up in Livingston once too. LOL!!!
I guess everyone has their limits based on previous experience. I had years of dirt riding/racing before I got a streetbike so I got on down the road asap.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:28 AM   #65
TxBritt08R1
Saved By Grace

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2008 R1 - Sold!
2004 R6 - Sold!
2004 FZ6 - Sold!

Send a message via MSN to TxBritt08R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575
blocks that go between your fairing and mirror mount.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/220/

You Rock!
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ
...I'm glad it's such a boring sport, what would it be like if they watched something a little more interesting, like football? they'd just spontaneously combust on the spot...
TxBritt08R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:35 AM   #66
Costas

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
'04 ZX-10R
'07 ZX-6R (track)
'04 ZX-6R (sold)
'05 Ninja 500 (sold)

Send a message via AIM to Costas
i've only been riding for around 3 months so far and it didn't take too long really. i'm still not 100% confident with my skills but then again who is. all i know is that i still have lots and lots of room for improvement, especially since i haven't even done a track day yet.
Costas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:56 AM   #67
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

It took me about three weeks of neighborhood riding. Then I did a few rides out into the country with trusted friends who mentored me. The rides were early on Sunday mornings with minimum traffic.

The first time I commuted to work was about a month after I started riding and it took me another couple of weeks there to really start getting rid of the knot in my stomach.

I am still not totally comfortable riding in traffic today but I got to the point where I try being very defensive and super-attentive and that gives me the most secure feeling I'll ever get, I guess.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:01 AM   #68
Daily Triumph
Ugh gtfo :-/

Bike(s):
2003 Aprilia Mille 1000 (Daily )
2002 Triumph TT600 sold
1992 Honda CBR F2 sold

stupid noob question but does anyone here ride with glasses on? just seeing if my lazy needs to renew my contact presciption?
Daily Triumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:04 AM   #69
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3ofdoom
stupid noob question but does anyone here ride with glasses on? just seeing if my lazy needs to renew my contact presciption?
I know of a lot of riders who ride with their glasses. Is it the safest? I don't know. I was on a ride where a girl had a light crash and busted her nice sunglasses and she was lucky, nothing happened except for that she could throw the glasses away after the incident. I think they bent or something.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:13 PM   #70
Andy
Draped up

Bike(s):
2004 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia
It took me about three weeks of neighborhood riding. Then I did a few rides out into the country with trusted friends who mentored me. The rides were early on Sunday mornings with minimum traffic.

The first time I commuted to work was about a month after I started riding and it took me another couple of weeks there to really start getting rid of the knot in my stomach.

I am still not totally comfortable riding in traffic today but I got to the point where I try being very defensive and super-attentive and that gives me the most secure feeling I'll ever get, I guess.
ah thanks for the info
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:24 PM   #71
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Quote:
So I was riding around the back streets of my area where maybe 3-4 cars are on every hour or so..and I'm thinking..I wonder how long everybody rode their bikes till they were okay with going into real streets with a lot of cars.

I'm still a huge new rider..and I'm pretty scared to take it anywhere but the backroads or around my neighborhood..I've taken the MSF course already which taught a lot..but that doesn't mean you grow over night.

Any advice, tips, suggestions on how to make my riding experience a whole lot less scary? ha.ha.
Where are you located at?? I could ride with you and take it easy so you could get more seat time. I am pretty laid back as a rider.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:27 PM   #72
Andy
Draped up

Bike(s):
2004 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock
Where are you located at?? I could ride with you and take it easy so you could get more seat time. I am pretty laid back as a rider.
pretty far from you seeing your location.

I am up in NW area around I-10 Hwy6 - Fry road
Old 05-21-2007, 04:30 PM   #73
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:

I live off West Rd and 290 and my boyfriend lives of Barker and West Little York Rd and I am in that area a LOT. If you want to go riding some time, let me know, I don't mind. Just PM me.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:31 PM   #74
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:

Swift E and Rob are in your area although I think Swift has banned himself from street riding.

I rode around my neighborhood for 3 monthes before I went onto the big roads.

Word of advice... keep the visor down in the neighborhood as well. A dragonfly just about took me out doing maybe 20mph.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:35 PM   #75
soap4life
Reverend

Bike(s):
z1000

Send a message via AIM to soap4life
take it slow and stay in your comfort zone. maybe try to get out on a busyer rode sometime. if it makes you nervous get off of it and go back to where you feel safe. i didnt get out on the road until 3 months after msf.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:36 PM   #76
soap4life
Reverend

Bike(s):
z1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
Swift E and Rob are in your area although I think Swift has banned himself from street riding.

I rode around my neighborhood for 3 monthes before I went onto the big roads.

Word of advice... keep the visor down in the neighborhood as well. A dragonfly just about took me out doing maybe 20mph.
hahaha, it sucks when a fly goes straight into your eye.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:40 PM   #77
Andy
Draped up

Bike(s):
2004 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia
I live off West Rd and 290 and my boyfriend lives of Barker and West Little York Rd and I am in that area a LOT. If you want to go riding some time, let me know, I don't mind. Just PM me.
That's an awesome offer..but I'm sure I will be asking a lot of questions and slowing you guys down a lot. Are you sure you want that? lol

Moody: Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-21-2007, 04:47 PM   #78
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3ofdoom

i ride with glasses. wish i had contacts tho. its a pain to take them on and off everytime i want to put my helmet on.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:54 PM   #79
marimirez
PW Reformed...

Bike(s):
2000 Can a tuna ~sold~ 06 Gixxer 600

Glad you posted this. Now I know I am not the only one. I am having the same problem. And people drive like bats out of on my street so I don't even like riding around here.
marimirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:55 PM   #80
soap4life
Reverend

Bike(s):
z1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimirez
Glad you posted this. Now I know I am not the only one. I am having the same problem. And people drive like bats out of on my street so I don't even like riding around here.
where do you live?

Advertisement