MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2014, 05:52 PM   #21
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

http://www.texasoffroad.net/forum/ub..._bike_For_Sale

Check this site out for bikes too. There is a nice 250XC on there for sale.

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wild Hare Jason_Canuck Off Topic 7 02-07-2012 08:26 PM
Quick ? abour I-10 exits 911TurboS Off Topic 2 04-29-2006 02:19 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #22
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Hey Blake, there is a Hare Scramble in Willis next weekend. If you are not doing the TD at TWS (Texas World Speedway), you should go and check it out. James Ellis, CarbonJames, will be there. I am sure he can show you around and speak to you about hare scrambles.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:29 AM   #23
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
I was thinking about doing the TD. Decisions decisions.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:49 AM   #24
longboarder65

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Husaberg TE 300-plated
KTM 690R
KTM 250SX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby Racer View Post
So they have a greybeard suckshit class?
I thought I would get smart and enter my age class instead of the "open D" so I could maybe get on the podium. That was a mistake. I figured since I was old and slow that they would be also. I got my kicked.
longboarder65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:53 AM   #25
tyler83
Ummmm.................

Experience: 9 years
Does anyone have a link about this Willis Hare Scramble? I think I'd like to go watch and see what it's all about.
tyler83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:21 AM   #26
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
torcs website has what you need to find the event info....as does the texasoffroadnet link posted earlier in this thread.

http://www.torcsracing.com/docs/flyers/rnd7_14flyer.pdf

http://www.torcsracing.com/tracks.php?ID=91
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:40 PM   #27
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

It really doesn't matter what size, type, year etc bike you race, people race everything, things you've seen and things you haven't seen before. I personally ride and race a KTM 250sx, I race in the 450A class on Saturday (currently in 2nd place overall) and then again on Sunday I race in the 40A class (currently in 6th place overall, I've skipped races on 3 Sundays which is why I'm so far behind) I may even race my G/F's KTM 150SX on Sunday just for the of it, it's a fun bike and pretty fast for it's size.

When I started, Dbuck was a very strong B rider and talked me into going, after my first D class race, I was hooked and never looked back, I legitimately went from a D class rider to an A class rider in my first year of racing H/S's (I suffered a few DQ's due to smoking the field by more than 2 minutes, which per the rules, DQ's you and bumps you to the next fastest class).

My first year in the A class was rough, I still crashed ALOT, and now that I'm not crashing as much, I am constantly moving up into the front of the pack, I've placed 2nd in my 3 Sunday races and have several W's and 2nd's in the Saturday class. I race other Texas based series races as well but, TORCS is my primary series.

Now, I plan to move up into the AA/Pro class at the last race of this year, (just like track day riding, you only get faster by riding with faster guys) so that is my goal for this season, I'm sure I'll get smoked for my first year but I'll find some more speed eventually.

If you're interested in HS racing, at least come out and sign up for practice, you'll get to ride the exact same course that we'll race on for 2 days. No membership necessary, even if you have to borrow someones bike, come out and see what it's about. There are lots of areas for spectating, there will usually be a spot or two that will be of a high difficult area to test riders skills, these are the places to spectate from.

Some of the essentials for you and your bike are as follows

Stamina is a must, these races can last from 1.5 hrs to 3-4 hrs depending on the event and series

A proper running bike that has no issues, you don't want to get stuck with a break down 4 miles from camp during a race.

Proper hydration from a camel back (I wear a Leatt brace and a Leatt 2.8 liter camel back)

Good tires, and HD tubes (I run a system called Tubliss to prevent flats)

As always, the best gear (helmet) that you can afford, your head is worth it

Bark busters or hand guards are a definite must for woods racing

That's about all of the most essential items, not much really and you'll have it all if you're riding anyway.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me and I'll go into further detail, I could literally go on for hours.

Some info below for this weekends race in Willis, it's a new property for the TORCS series and as to my understanding has never been raced on before.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...575027&fref=ts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rnd7_14flyer.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	81429  
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:46 PM   #28
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler83 View Post
Does anyone have a link about this Willis Hare Scramble? I think I'd like to go watch and see what it's all about.
If you decide to come out, let me know and you can hang out with us a bit and we'll fill you in on the good spectating spots.

There will be food/drink vendor/s there this weekend.

It's a huge family oriented camp ground basically, you'll be lucky to find someone you don't or won't like.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #29
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJames View Post
It really doesn't matter what size, type, year etc bike you race, people race everything, things you've seen and things you haven't seen before. I personally ride and race a KTM 250sx, I race in the 450A class on Saturday (currently in 2nd place overall) and then again on Sunday I race in the 40A class (currently in 6th place overall, I've skipped races on 3 Sundays which is why I'm so far behind) I may even race my G/F's KTM 150SX on Sunday just for the of it, it's a fun bike and pretty fast for it's size.

When I started, Dbuck was a very strong B rider and talked me into going, after my first D class race, I was hooked and never looked back, I legitimately went from a D class rider to an A class rider in my first year of racing H/S's (I suffered a few DQ's due to smoking the field by more than 2 minutes, which per the rules, DQ's you and bumps you to the next fastest class).

My first year in the A class was rough, I still crashed ALOT, and now that I'm not crashing as much, I am constantly moving up into the front of the pack, I've placed 2nd in my 3 Sunday races and have several W's and 2nd's in the Saturday class. I race other Texas based series races as well but, TORCS is my primary series.

Now, I plan to move up into the AA/Pro class at the last race of this year, (just like track day riding, you only get faster by riding with faster guys) so that is my goal for this season, I'm sure I'll get smoked for my first year but I'll find some more speed eventually.

If you're interested in HS racing, at least come out and sign up for practice, you'll get to ride the exact same course that we'll race on for 2 days. No membership necessary, even if you have to borrow someones bike, come out and see what it's about. There are lots of areas for spectating, there will usually be a spot or two that will be of a high difficult area to test riders skills, these are the places to spectate from.

Some of the essentials for you and your bike are as follows

Stamina is a must, these races can last from 1.5 hrs to 3-4 hrs depending on the event and series

A proper running bike that has no issues, you don't want to get stuck with a break down 4 miles from camp during a race.

Proper hydration from a camel back (I wear a Leatt brace and a Leatt 2.8 liter camel back)

Good tires, and HD tubes (I run a system called Tubliss to prevent flats)

As always, the best gear (helmet) that you can afford, your head is worth it

Bark busters or hand guards are a definite must for woods racing

That's about all of the most essential items, not much really and you'll have it all if you're riding anyway.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me and I'll go into further detail, I could literally go on for hours.

Some info below for this weekends race in Willis, it's a new property for the TORCS series and as to my understanding has never been raced on before.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...575027&fref=ts

Funnily enough, this all started because I mentioned picking up a dirty to Rob Gaines (I work with his wife), and he immediately mentioned you.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 09-30-2014, 03:50 PM   #30
tyler83
Ummmm.................

Quote:
If you decide to come out, let me know and you can hang out with us a bit and we'll fill you in on the good spectating spots.

There will be food/drink vendor/s there this weekend.

It's a huge family oriented camp ground basically, you'll be lucky to find someone you don't or won't like.
I think I might have to take you up on that, I'm really interested in doing this. I've wanted to my whole life and am in a good position where I could do this now. Another motivator is my son, I want to get him involved with it early and I'd like to Learn the ropes before I drag him out there. (I have plenty of time, He's one) I only have a 400ex and a RZR right now and am currently weighing my options on what the best bike to do this is. I would like to stay around 2k ish for the bike. Right now 05'-06' 250f's are looking good to me. I had bought a KX125 off a member here a few months ago, but it turned out to be quite the big mess, so I recently sold it for what I had in it. Are you planning on being out there saturday and Sunday?
Old 09-30-2014, 03:57 PM   #31
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Quote:
...I may even race my G/F's KTM 150SX on Sunday just for the of it, it's a fun bike and pretty fast for it's size.

...No membership necessary, even if you have to borrow someones bike, come out and see what it's about...
Okay, okay...I'll take you up on your offer, James. I will allow you to lend me the KTM

Hope you are doing well, my friend.
Irak
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:46 PM   #32
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Great info.

BTW - If you find a bike like the KTM Adam listed, I live in Cedar Park and would be glad to help with checking it out, etc.

I need another dirty bike, but swore I'd get e-start after the XR400R stalled on me in HF when I was up on a rock cliff and had to restart it while balancing.

The thought of landing on jagged limestone was not a comforting feeling.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:37 PM   #33
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
I've never owned a dirtbike. I've had fullsize and mini tards, but no true dirties. Want to purchase a dirty and maybe get into hare scrambles with a side order of motocross over the winter. What should I be looking for bike wise? Where do I practice? What gear do I need?
Problem I have with two strokes is the 125 has no bottom end what so ever and the 250s and 300s are a lot of bike in the tight stuff. I need to try out some of KTMs other offerings like the 150 and 200. Me personally, I like the 250 four strokes for off road riding around here. I'm lazy and they are easy to ride fast. I like riding bikes that I can really twist the throttle on and right now my skill level only lets me wring out a 250f. One day though...

If you want to ride trails and mx, another thing to consider is some enduro bikes won't be too great for motocross because of the suspension. May be better to just soften up a motocross bike when you ride on trails if you can have only one. KTM has "offroad race" enduro models which are in between suspension wise so you could ride both easily.

As far as places to practice, their are a bunch of MX tracks in the area. Some like Rio Bravo also have trails to ride. And of course the Sam Houston National Forest has awesome trails.

Gear necessities are of course boots, knee pads, helmet, gloves and goggles. As far as extra gear you can go as far as you think you need to. Some like less some like more. Bit of a trade off with safety and mobility as well as safety and dying of heat stroke during the summer. There are full upper body suits that protect pretty much everything or you can just wear a chest guard. Neck braces are also recommended but not every one uses one.

I've never raced before. Plan on doing my first hare scramble in December. If you get a bike by then hit me up. We can both go embarrass ourselves.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:53 PM   #34
tyler83
Ummmm.................

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
Problem I have with two strokes is the 125 has no bottom end what so ever and the 250s and 300s are a lot of bike in the tight stuff. I need to try out some of KTMs other offerings like the 150 and 200. Me personally, I like the 250 four strokes for off road riding around here. I'm lazy and they are easy to ride fast. I like riding bikes that I can really twist the throttle on and right now my skill level only lets me wring out a 250f. One day though...

If you want to ride trails and mx, another thing to consider is some enduro bikes won't be too great for motocross because of the suspension. May be better to just soften up a motocross bike when you ride on trails if you can have only one. KTM has "offroad race" enduro models which are in between suspension wise so you could ride both easily.

As far as places to practice, their are a bunch of MX tracks in the area. Some like Rio Bravo also have trails to ride. And of course the Sam Houston National Forest has awesome trails.

Gear necessities are of course boots, knee pads, helmet, gloves and goggles. As far as extra gear you can go as far as you think you need to. Some like less some like more. Bit of a trade off with safety and mobility as well as safety and dying of heat stroke during the summer. There are full upper body suits that protect pretty much everything or you can just wear a chest guard. Neck braces are also recommended but not every one uses one.

I've never raced before. Plan on doing my first hare scramble in December. If you get a bike by then hit me up. We can both go embarrass ourselves.
Can you lug that 250f down pretty good without slipping the clutch? How is it to start when it gets hot?
Old 10-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #35
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Funnily enough, this all started because I mentioned picking up a dirty to Rob Gaines (I work with his wife), and he immediately mentioned you.
I've only spoke with Rob a couple of times, he's a fast dude but!!

I'm interested to hear what he had to say about me, please.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:39 AM   #36
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
I think I might have to take you up on that, I'm really interested in doing this. I've wanted to my whole life and am in a good position where I could do this now. Another motivator is my son, I want to get him involved with it early and I'd like to Learn the ropes before I drag him out there. (I have plenty of time, He's one) I only have a 400ex and a RZR right now and am currently weighing my options on what the best bike to do this is. I would like to stay around 2k ish for the bike. Right now 05'-06' 250f's are looking good to me. I had bought a KX125 off a member here a few months ago, but it turned out to be quite the big mess, so I recently sold it for what I had in it. Are you planning on being out there Saturday and Sunday?
I will be there Friday night, camping all weekend long as we always do..

Come on out and find us or pm me with you cell and I'll send mine to you..

Silver 15' Chevy 2500 pulling an MXT toy hauler
Old 10-01-2014, 09:57 AM   #37
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Can you lug that 250f down pretty good without slipping the clutch? How is it to start when it gets hot?
You can lug the 250F, and most 4 strokes hate starting when hot, just watch some of our race starts, some guys are kicking multiple times to get going, by then, the crowd is gone. I'd personally go with a 2t or a 4t with E-start..

And BTW, speaking of top ends, maint. and KTM's, I bought a brand new 13' 200 XCW and raced and rode for just over 120 clock hours, I never even changed the spark plug, had zero starting, running issues with it at all. I sold it recently but suggested to the new owner to seek out a top end job just in case.

As for suspensions and woods/mx specific bikes, I ride the SX which is a motocross bike, I had CSR build my suspension and it works well for me in both applications, and I know of plenty people who ride the KTM XC's (Cross country models) for woods and racing in MX and do quite well.

Just recently, a B riders (Off road racer) 450f had a bent rotor, someone offered his 250f to him for the race but the 450 guy said it wasn't fast enough, well, truth be told, the 450 guy can't ride the 250 to it's limits much less the 450 that hard and fast so, don't let the size of the bike fool you..

Kailub Russell (2013/2014 GNCC off road champion) will be riding the last two rounds on a 14' 150SX and I bet you anything that he wins the races vs all others on the 350 and 450 cc bikes.

Suspension really is the key, along with your mental capacity to go fast by twisting the throttle, making smart line choices, and having some skill at what you do.

I have 100 or so hours of training with Pro Factory riders over the last few years, that has helped me out tremendously. Every year I spend at least 5, 8 hour days working with Steve Hatch and he's the man in my book.

Don't allow anyone to point you in the wrong direction, dirt riding whether it be MX or offroad is no different that road racing or street riding, trackday riding, just b/c you bought the latest and greatest 1000cc bike, or the newest $23000 Ducati, neither of those will make you a faster rider than those with experience.

I started racing on a Honda CRF150R, (yes it's a super-mini and it's plenty fast) I was getting beat by others on 85 2T bikes, but on the other hand, I was also beating guys on 250F's too. It isn't just about the size of the engine at all. Find a bike that suits you well in all aspects and that's the bike for you.

Any of you guys are welcome to ride any bike we have and we have several to chose from too. My 250SX has a 2.8 gallon tank, steering damper, kickstand, 18" rear wheel/tire, cut down bars and a rekluse clutch, it's not much of a mx bike but this past weekend I raced the 2nd round of the District 20 MX series and did finish 2nd position in my last moto which gave me a 4th place overall, this was my second ever MX race and it is intense and extremely dangerous.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:17 AM   #38
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
I've only spoke with Rob a couple of times, he's a fast dude but!!

I'm interested to hear what he had to say about me, please.
He just mentioned a "dude that worked for TTBC" and I said "Yea, I know of that guy, he rides sportbikes too." To which he replied "he's all ate-up with this enduro stuff."

CMRA #302
Liked this post:
Old 10-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #39
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Yes I can lug my 250 well. Not like a 450 but it does the job. When hot it takes only 2 or 3 kicks but it is a very fresh motor with only about 20 hours or so. If I crash it can be a little harder to start if it has been laying on its side for any amount of time. I would prefer an e-start but only newer mx bikes have e-start and they are pricier. If you can get an e-start no doubt that is the way to go.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #40
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
KTM has "offroad race" enduro models which are in between suspension wise so you could ride both easily.
What is the model designation for these bikes? I know nothing about the letter-vomit that descrives dirties.

Quote:
Gear necessities are of course boots, knee pads, helmet, gloves and goggles. As far as extra gear you can go as far as you think you need to.
I've got everything except boots from my tard days.

I will probably be buying a bike in late december as that's when my yearly bonus pays out.

CMRA #302

Advertisement