MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2014, 10:25 AM   #1
Classax
Objective Observer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

MSRH VTtwins Advice

To those of you who ride Vtwins I have a question about your tactics and thoughts on them at MSRH.

When running CW going into Diamonds Edge and/or Sugar and Spice I typically get set up for these turns by getting on the brakes while down shifting into 2nd and tip in with about 5.5-6k on the tach. I get to take advantage of a little engine braking and easing off the brakes onto maintenance throttle. The bike is stable and makes good power here so when I get back on the gas after apex I'm right is the sweet spot of the torque band and I get a really good drive off the corner. I find though I have to quickly short shift into 3rd before the next little corner or I run into the limiter at or just after the apex of the next turn. My bike is in standard shift config so I donít want have to shift while in a left hander.

I also notice I can go into these turns in 3rd with about 4 to 4.5K or so on the tach, with less engine braking and the bike has the torque to just chug out of the turn and I can run all the way to redline all the way to my braking marker for the Launch and or the Carousel . I don't feel like I get as good a drive out of the turn doing it that way though, especially when trying to get by someone coming out the exits there. It just doesn't feel like the bike is accelerating as hard as it does exiting in 3rd as it does in 2nd, even though its probably safer.

I'm still getting used to the bike and I'm a novice anyway with a slow guy on fast bike reputation to maintain so with all the traffic in that group, its hard to tell how slow my times would actually be with clear track ahead of me.

So all of my Vtwin ridding brethren & sisterren, what's your approach in these corners and could you explain why if you'd don't mind me asking? Thanks
Classax is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSRH Race Prep Course - Dec 11, 2010 @ MSRH Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 0 12-07-2010 12:24 PM
a little advice please shsu1k General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 10-09-2008 02:31 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-25-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
Falcon
Getcha Pull

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
06 R6 (Track)
KTM 450 sx-f (street)

Are you running stock gearing? You may need to make an adjustment to move your RPM at the speed you traveling. What gear do you get up to on the back straight? Also you could try going faster through DE in third
Old 09-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
Classax
Objective Observer

Bike(s):
2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

Stock gearing.

Back straight depending on how poorly I screw up the Bus stop, I just touch fourth but could just as easily carry thrid the whole way and sit on the redline instead of short shifting.

I'll work on that...
Old 09-25-2014, 12:20 PM   #4
Whoop
Mobile Bike Service!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
gsxr 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
Are you running stock gearing? You may need to make an adjustment to move your RPM at the speed you traveling. What gear do you get up to on the back straight? Also you could try going faster through DE in third
Don't laugh, I ran a 1:36.2 last year on a member day run 3rd through Diamonds Edge.
Whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
ArkansasDave

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Gp shift plus quickshifter...

Coming out of sugar and spice you can make the line so there is a little straight before flopping over to the left. You should be able to shift there into third and keep a good drive out of there.

In diamonds edge I would do second and figure out a way to shift when needed.2nd should take you far enough into the straight so you can then shift into 3rd.

Like he said above a change of hearing might help. That bike has crazy tall gearing so going -1 in the front or +2 in the rear might help in just staying in 3rd.
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
Falcon
Getcha Pull

Bike(s):
06 R6 (Track)
KTM 450 sx-f (street)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
Don't laugh, I ran a 1:36.2 last year on a member day run 3rd through Diamonds Edge.
Exactly what I meant. If your hauling the mail around MSRH like you Whoop I'm sure that pace would allow you to run in third through DE and not drag the motor to far down the band. I was just poking fun because its easier to adjust gear then grow and fly through some corners faster for a better drive.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:30 PM   #7
Falcon
Getcha Pull

Bike(s):
06 R6 (Track)
KTM 450 sx-f (street)

If you really want to figure out MSRH you should sign up for a Whoopie Day
Old 09-25-2014, 12:45 PM   #8
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
If you really want to figure out MSRH you should sign up for a Whoopie Day
I need to do that, I ran a 1:52.9(PR) this last race weekend and need to drop 6 seconds before I can hang with the back of the pack.

The hard part for me is staying in the gas while transitioning directions and not braking going into the dog leg before diamonds edge and into the carousel. I could use some help on corner speed as well.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:14 PM   #9
Whoop
Mobile Bike Service!

Bike(s):
gsxr 1000

"My bike is in standard shift config so I don’t want have to shift while in a left hander."
At MSRH in order to go fast you have to be able to shift up through gears to go fast.
Like through T14 Gut Check, T7, and T3
Whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #10
Classax
Objective Observer

Bike(s):
2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

With my big feet, I go ahead and short shift before or after, so I'm not forced to stick my foot under the lever while leaning over if I don't have to. GP shift would be just one more thing to think about for me right now.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:00 PM   #11
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

So, I don't track my bike yet but I am just reading all of this. I always wondered why the GP shift was favored. Is that to keep your foot higher off the ground in a turn?
Flip Flop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:03 PM   #12
x-ray
CMRA #228

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Super Adventure
2007 SV650S (My track toy)
07 CRF230F
2006 VFR800a (sold - covered a lot of miles)
04 Honda 599 (sold)

I'd chime in but I'm thinking a SV650 doesn't compare that well with the big Buell... I could be wrong though....

I like to have about 7K minimum on the tach for ok power on the SV hauling my 235 pound around. I will short shift it to delay a shift further down the track, but running the SV out to redline is a waste of time power-wise anyway as it levels out just past 10K.

I run standard shift with quickshifter and running CW race direction and don't have anywhere on the track where getting my big TCX boots under the shifter is a problem. Through gut check I'm off the bike enough that it's pretty upright anyway for that one.

I'm far from the fastest SV out there but I run 1:49's
07 Suzuki SV650s - CMRA #228
x-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #13
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
So, I don't track my bike yet but I am just reading all of this. I always wondered why the GP shift was favored. Is that to keep your foot higher off the ground in a turn?
It's just a lot easier and more natural to hit the shifter down mid turn instead of hooking your foot underneath and pulling up.

Classax switch to gp and ride around the street. Soon enough it will become habit and you won't have to think of it. A good way to remember is while you are down and tucked then hit down. If you are up in the wind then pull up on the shifter. Or after you try it and don't like it then switch back.

Also quickshifters are amazing!
Old 09-25-2014, 03:03 PM   #14
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

GP Shift + Quickshifter = DA BOMB!
Old 09-25-2014, 03:06 PM   #15
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

they had my bike set up for GP shift when I bought it, but they changed it back to standard before I rode off...kinda makes me wonder now what kind of use the bike was getting
Flip Flop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:14 PM   #16
Falcon
Getcha Pull

Bike(s):
06 R6 (Track)
KTM 450 sx-f (street)

I ride my KTM everyday on the street in standard. Funny thing is I always find myself trying to shift GP. Then when I get the chance to ride the yamerham(GP Shift) on the track I never once try and shift standard.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #17
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
I ride my KTM everyday on the street in standard. Funny thing is I always find myself trying to shift GP. Then when I get the chance to ride the yamerham(GP Shift) on the track I never once try and shift standard.
Because GP seems more "intuitive"
Old 09-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #18
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classax View Post
Stock gearing.

Back straight depending on how poorly I screw up the Bus stop, I just touch fourth but could just as easily carry thrid the whole way and sit on the redline instead of short shifting.

I'll work on that...
I think you need more teeth on that rear sprocket. It's nice being lazy with long gears on a big litre twin, but you're missing out on significant time if you're only using 3 out of 6 gears on the tranny.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:32 PM   #19
Falcon
Getcha Pull

Bike(s):
06 R6 (Track)
KTM 450 sx-f (street)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby Racer View Post
I think you need more teeth on that rear sprocket. It's nice being lazy with long gears on a big litre twin, but you're missing out on significant time if you're only using 3 out of 6 gears on the tranny.
This. You may need to experiment with various different combinations between your front and rear sprocket for each track you visit.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:42 AM   #20
Classax
Objective Observer

Bike(s):
2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

Thanks gents. The bike is definitely geared way tall. I may consider GP shift conversion. Its not that big a deal for me at MSRH.

Xray I think you hit my question on the head. On the 636 anything below 8k or so and it would lug. On the RX it won't lug until you're below 3.5k. Power peaks around 10k and stays strong to 11.5K redline. Life is good when its spinning at 5k and up!

Advertisement