MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2014, 03:56 PM   #1
Track_Graphics

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

It's the right thing to do - - - - right?

.......or should I have just taken the cash and never think about consequences?

Nice weather has brought out the buyers.
So I have these two track bikes up for sale.
One is an excellent condition, totally tracked out ZX6. Goes like a bat out of a very hot place!

Two nights ago I received a query on text. Said query is as follows:

Hey you still hav eyour motorcycle

Yes I stil have it. The R6 or the ZX6?

The zx6

Yes, it's still for sale.

When may i go by to see it ?

I'm going to a movie. It gets done at 5:00. :-)

Okay thanks

When mayh i go see the motorcycles?

Any time tonight.
Tomorrow would have to wait until after 7:00.

Last night;

May you send me the adress

What year is the motorcle? The zx5? And how much.

(Address sent)
2007 ZX6 for $3400

Is it standard or automatic?

Have you ever owned a motorcycle before?

Yes I have, ive owned several.

I'm a little concerned by your questions unless you are buying it for someone else.

Incase you didn't know, theres motorcycles that are standard;
i've owned two. As well as automatic.

This motorcycle is a six speed with Gran Prix style shifting.
It is a race bike. However, it has everything to make it street legal.

Everything works well? It runs. No problems with it

I bought a brand new battery for it but it hasn't run so it's completely drained.
I will buy another and install it. This bike runs great.

Okay, i'm in my way to se e it

(impertinent chat about dinner and arrival time)

What brand is the motorcycle?

Kawasaki

We are here

So they made it and I met them. We stood around looking at it and jaw jacking. The girl was about 18ish and her Spanish speaking mom was about 40ish. Neither one knew a thing about sport bikes. They didn't understand what the levers were for and could not understand what I meant by shifting with the toe..... Hooking for 1st with the clutch in, 1 up and 5 down was like speaking Bangladeshian rather than english. No idea of any of the controls, or where to "obviously" put gas in. Didn't know you twist the trottle on the end of the handlebar. I mean they were clueless about "everything".

I started it up and drove it around the street a bit, showed them everything worked (mainly lights and brakes kinda stuff)

Madre sat on the bike twice but was scared shiteless to get it off the kickstand. Maybe she went 125 lbs. Very nice lady. It was plain as the wart on your nose she had NEVER riden anything like that so I didn't even ask, BUT -I did ask if she ever took the safety course or had an M class. No and No. She was talking to her daughter and said she really loved it. I said I could lower it for her because I have estra (spanglish) links I'd put on tonight. They said they would be back Thursday with the cash and a truck and straps.

I did mention that I had an ethical/moral concern and for 15 minutes I stressed the training and other personal things to get used to that size bike. They agreed.

All last night and today I've had second thoughts. I was going to use the money to take my son to Hawaii for a week.

At noon today - My final text;

Hello. I want to tell you that it is against my judgement to
sell this bike to your mother. It is far beyond her abilities
and I have no doubt that she will be seriously injured.
It is a very high powered racing machine that she does not have the skills for.
I'm sorry, but I won't sell this to her.
I will happily assist you in finding a good bike more suited to her.

Money talks, BS walks. In this case it was BS to take their money when I knew what was more than likely to happen.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Few thing I have done... bradk83 General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 02-13-2015 07:20 AM
if its not one thing its another halfaznmelissa General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 06-30-2013 11:06 AM
Is this the new thing to do/ albertinhouston General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 01-01-2012 06:09 PM
if its not one thing its another... along77082 General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 10-24-2008 09:39 AM
One Thing or Another... Shinobi Off Topic 25 01-17-2006 10:19 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2014, 04:00 PM   #2
LRD
Kawi Green!

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
05 636
08 250 (Sold)

You're too nice, or maybe I'm just an hole couse I would have sold it and let them worry about their own safety.
LRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:06 PM   #3
Falcon
Getcha Pull

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06 R6 (Track)
KTM 450 sx-f (street)

Darwinism. Either way I'm sure they will be buying a bike.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:08 PM   #4
Frostbite01

Bike(s):
1991 Honda TransAlp (RIP)
2012 Triumph Daytona 675

Member Garage

I could see it from both perspectives! I would have worried about selling it to her as well. But then again... she's an adult who needs to make adult decisions. If she rides outside of her comfort zone, that's a decision she has to make on her own.

That being said, I don't think you did wrong.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #5
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
for as many threads regarding these bikes in the past few weeks, one would think you'd sell it to the first person with cash. 'Tis what I would have done.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-23-2014, 04:30 PM   #6
smokinjoe
Seņor Membero

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Honor Cycle 5000
╯°□°)╯┻━┻

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to smokinjoe
Maybe she wanted to keep it in her garage until she took MSF? Maybe she was going to purchase it for her husband or boyfriend? I would have sold her the bike.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #7
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Assuming you are not just trying to drum up more attention for the bikes so you can sell them, I would have done the same thing. Just as I would not sell my racecar to a 16 year old kid who expressed to me that he just wanted to go fast and hadn't even driven a standard before in his life. Part of that is because I'd feel wrong about putting that in his hands--sure, maybe he will go get it from someone else, but I did not enable him. Also partly because I would much rather see the racecar go live a long life with an experienced driver rather than end up pancaked against a wall on the 6 o'clock news.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:07 PM   #8
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!-SOLD
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more sold

No worries you did what your conscious told you to do
Liked this post:
Old 09-23-2014, 06:06 PM   #9
TardinLA
BLACK AND PROUD

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
CRF450R SM
CRF Fiddy

You did the right thing. Would the money be worth it if you saw her on the news DOA? Sucks, but IMO it was a good call.
TardinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #10
Track_Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
Assuming you are not just trying to drum up more attention for the bikes so you can sell them, I would have done the same thing. Just as I would not sell my racecar to a 16 year old kid who expressed to me that he just wanted to go fast and hadn't even driven a standard before in his life. Part of that is because I'd feel wrong about putting that in his hands--sure, maybe he will go get it from someone else, but I did not enable him. Also partly because I would much rather see the racecar go live a long life with an experienced driver rather than end up pancaked against a wall on the 6 o'clock news.
Sales is the name of the game, but no - I'm in no hurry to sell. BUT - you see, I agree with you and that's how I feel. I don't want anyone that clearly has no idea what the 773H they are doing, getting hurt and I don't want a good bike smushed. You don't give chainsaws to 6 year olds.
I could clearly foresee that imminent crash from whisky rippin the throttle about 3 feet down the driveway.

"Ok, just give it a little gas and let the trottle out slo..................... OH MY ! ! ! ! ! !
If it were someone with even a hint of riding experience I prolly would have just told them to be careful. I truthfully believe this chick would have a tough time on a bicycle.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:30 PM   #11
Nastynesto85
Richard Serdown

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Dual sport 14 ninja zx6r
06 cbr 600rr (sold)
05 cbr 600rr (sold)
04 Ducati ss800 (sold)
02 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track_Graphics View Post
Sales is the name of the game, but no - I'm in no hurry to sell. BUT - you see, I agree with you and that's how I feel. I don't want anyone that clearly has no idea what the 773H they are doing, getting hurt and I don't want a good bike smushed. You don't give chainsaws to 6 year olds.
I could clearly foresee that imminent crash from whisky rippin the throttle about 3 feet down the driveway.

"Ok, just give it a little gas and let the trottle out slo..................... OH MY ! ! ! ! ! !
If it were someone with even a hint of riding experience I prolly would have just told them to be careful. I truthfully believe this chick would have a tough time on a bicycle.
But can she ride the

If it's got or tires , it's going to cost you
Nastynesto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:56 PM   #12
DLite
David

Bike(s):
'06 Triumph D675
'03 R6 (Track)
'07 HD Street Bob

Maybe she was buying it for her son.
DLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:09 PM   #13
blensen
Oil Boiler

Bike(s):
1997 Bandit 1200

No wrong answer here. I probably would have done the same as you though.
blensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #14
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
No worries you did what your conscious told you to do
While his thought process may have been conscious, it was his conscience that told him what to do, lol.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #15
gkcontra

Bike(s):
2008 GSX 650F -Blue
2008 GSX 650F - Black
2003 GSXR600 Alstare(sold)
97 sportster 1200C (sold)
'00 Shadow Ace (Sold)

You did what you though was right, which is a good thing.

I went through similar a few weeks ago with my 03 gsxr 600. Guy calls and wants to see it, no problem, he comes a couple hours later and he has his son with him. We settle on a price pending test ride, dad takes it for a spin and likes it. While we are filling in the paperwork it comes out that it is for the son, 18, just graduated high school this year. Find out the kid has ridden 125 dirt bikes but that is it. The kid is also riding the bike home, Full face helmet, tank top, long shorts and tennis shoes, that's it. Going from The Woodlands to near Katy. I worried for at least a day, but ultimately I'm not his dad. Hope it turns out OK.
gkcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:47 PM   #16
grsa

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

If she showed up on Bevo's noob ride on Sunday there would be a lot of endangered riders. You did the right thing.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:59 PM   #17
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

If I needed the money I would have sold them the bike, but you did the right thing if the buyer was actually going to try to ride it.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:50 PM   #18
zikaprevail

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2014 Honda cbr 1000 rr
2006 Suzuki Katana 750

Bikes are easy to learn i feel. I learned on a 750 you cant see the future of how shed have learned or if it was for her or what. Either way it doesnt matter
zikaprevail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:50 AM   #19
BryanE
CMRA #246

Bike(s):
2011 Ninja 250 Race
2007 R6 Race
2007 Ninja 500 Race
2011 YZ450F SuperMoto
2012 CBR 250 Race

Member Garage

Watch out, maybe a scam. I had similar situation, young Hispanic girl and mother looking at my 00 r1 on CL about a year ago. They came and looked not much speaking English, didn't know anything about a bike. They were buying for a brother / son. I rode and showed them everything was good. They said we come next week and bring trailer and money and get the bike don't sell it. I said ok. I got many text from them in better English text than I got from their speaking it I noticed later on. I told them I was going to be out of town the next day and return 2 days later and we could finish up the deal. They said ok. I was loading up that eve for my trip and this little honda civic driving down my street and down the culdasack a block down. This happened about 4 times in a hour or so. I thought its Sunday and people drive by picking up metal and stuff from people trash from weekend regularly, so I figured they were just coming back and forth seeing if anyone put out anything since the last pass by. So I leave for my fishing trip, heading to Sargent. The next morning I get a text at 5:30am and we are dropping boat in for offshore. They say we want to be at my house at 9am with money and pick up bike, and have cash now! I text and said, I told you I'm out of town a couple days and would contact and finish the seal then. The text reply said ok, how long will it take to get there so we finish today. I said can't for 2 days I'm out of town. I'm in boat and 2 hours from my house even if I wasn't going fishing, so sorry but this will have to wait, maybe if realy needed I could meet tonight after we fish and get back in. They said ok, please text when you get back and then we meet. I said ok I will, but will be late if I have energy to drive back tonight. We get back I text and it's undeliverable. I call phone not in service. Me and wife drive back next evening and open garage and unloading gear and . I sit down after unloading and smoke a cig and pop a beer. I said something is weird isn't it honey, she said what. I say I don't know. Then I pan the room, and my wife said did you leave the bike at the shop, I said no, and something like o !!!!! I said he garge was closed, I opened it with opener. Check front door and everything else!!!! We did and no entry signs. Call league city pd, they came and officer said oh yeah this has been happening a lot, shut my garage door ask my wife for metal cloths hanger, he opens it up, bends hook tighter. He then pushes over the top of my door from outside take you, in about 2 seconds you hear click. He pulls the handle and opened my door up, he hooked the release rope hanging from opener. Then tugs it backwards and resets the little latch closes the door and said try opening it. Couldn't, he did it again just like that. He said yeah you just got set up bud, cut the string and screw it down so you can't hook it ever. Made report and he left! I got a call from
Cypress pd 5 months later they recovered my bike in a foreclosed house.

Watch your , I would inform your local pd and see if they have heard of any recent activity, nothing else they can watch for you and maybe set them up say your going out of town?
Hope it's legit but just in case!!!
BryanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-24-2014, 03:12 AM   #20
BryanE
CMRA #246

Bike(s):
2011 Ninja 250 Race
2007 R6 Race
2007 Ninja 500 Race
2011 YZ450F SuperMoto
2012 CBR 250 Race

Member Garage

Now I read your story completely you said they had owned several before. Then they didn't know anything what so ever when they arrived? There's the clue, and the suspicious right there!!! They were casing the lay out man, they prob. Took photos with phone while you rode it showing them everything was good. These people obviously strip them and sale the parts, your giving a bad race bike and all the OE parts to make legal for st. And 2 bikes. What a deal for a ring of thieves!!!! Dude lock your down cut the cord to the latch, screw it down. Pill power wire from opener because they also have scanners they can get codes when you shut garage door after showing them the bikes!! Dude I'm telling you call the pd inform. Maybe I'm gun shy, but wouldn't hurt to be over re acting than have your gone and not just that the violation feeling of wow now what else, are they coming back???newswcurity. Wife kids safe??? I'm telling you man watch out
BryanE is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement