MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #61
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby Racer View Post
No, no. I'm fat and slow.
Terrible work ethic, too.
Flip Flop is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Almost collected another rider at MSRH gots2no Taking it to the Track 20 11-10-2014 11:09 PM
Advanced Rider Course Available 3/3/12 @ MSRH cdill35 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 0 02-12-2012 06:01 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-22-2014, 04:06 PM   #62
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
Terrible work ethic, too.
I work quite hard at ruining employee morale.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:26 PM   #63
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Trackdays: 2

Quote:
I work quite hard at ruining employee morale.
Merica.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #64
Classax
Objective Observer

Bike(s):
2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...t-msr-houston/

A little more information some of what happened yesterday. Dr. Joe Caruso if you're listening we appreciate you and if I ever meet you in person, the first round of the beverage of your choice is on me.
Classax is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #65
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classax View Post
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...t-msr-houston/

A little more information some of what happened yesterday. Dr. Joe Caruso if you're listening we appreciate you and if I ever meet you in person, the first round of the beverage of your choice is on me.
Dang... good luck to the riders.

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #66
arson2000

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Yamaha 2006 R6 Raven
Yamaha 2008 R6 Liquid Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classax View Post
Dear Lord, our loving and merciful Father,
We thank you this day for the gifts of life, and prayer, knowing that as long as we have life and pray, you hear and answer our prayers. We give thanks oh Lord, for the several opportunities you have afforded us to enjoy with passion the sport of motorcycling. It is by you grace and mercies, which are new every morning that we are not consumed by the cares, affairs and dangers of life. Lord we know that the sport and recreation in which we engage comes with great responsibility and great risk, both of which we humbly accept leaning upon your hand of protection to stay those things over which we have no control, and to direct our judgment in the execution of those things which we do. We thank you Lord for all racers, riders friends and family who took to the track and by your grace made it home whole in mind, body and equipment.
We come to you this morning though, not for ourselves, but on behalf of those who found and exceeded the limits of grip but not your grace on yesterday. While we thank you that the injuries were no more severe than they were, we pray now that you would be reminded of your word to us, in stating that we should remember the benefits of knowing you, one among them being that you heal all our sickness and diseases, and that by the stripes of Christ we are in fact already being healed. Father, we ask now that you would watch over our fallen comrades and grant them good spirits so that they may heal with joy in their hearts, that you would grant peace to the families who care and worry so much about them, granting them confidence that despite pain and doubt, you are still in control and you have promised not to let your children be moved. We pray that you would grant the doctors and nurses vigilant wisdom and compassion in the skillful care of our friends and loved ones, so that they might recover quickly. Remind them oh Lord that you have promised that whatsoever they do unto the least of your children they have done also unto you, and that you have promised to greatly bless even the most meager of kindnesses. We ask oh Lord that you ease the financial burdens so that they are not beyond what we are able to bare, for it is written, I once was young and now I am old and I have never seen the righteous forsaken nor his seed begging bread.
Lastly Oh Lord we ask these things based on no good thing we have done, nor anything that we or our injured brothers and sisters would or could claim we rightly deserve, but because of the promises contained in your WORD and our faith that you being can not lie. We ask these things that you would be honored by our lives being proof that you are worthy of glory because you keep your promises as evidence by the answer to these and all our prayers, and that perhaps someone might come to know and trust you more. We these and all other thing be granted by the authority of our relationship as servants and co laborers of your Son, the Lord Jesus the Christ.

Those that agree are free to say Amen.( Which means "so let it be")
AMEN
arson2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:33 PM   #67
Vilks

Bike(s):
BMW S1000RR '13

I know it's early. I'm not trying to put blame at anyone but it's important to evaluate what happen. I wasn't there yesterday but texting with people that were there and base on the Roadracing World ride up. It seems that an early red flag that Bill (Guillermo) had seen, perhaps, would've avoided this. Yesterday I felt like I didn't ever want to go back to MRSH unless they made mayor changes. But it seems that with Derek's 8 second advantage a red flag should've popped. A soft barrier, perhaps, would've made a different giving by all accounts Derek's was okay at first and Bill didn't impact the wall.

Last edited by Vilks; 09-22-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Vilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #68
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilks View Post
I know it's early. I'm not trying to put blame at anyone but it's important to evaluate what happen. I wasn't there yesterday but texting with people that were there and base on the Roadracing World ride up. It seems that an early red flag that Bill (Guillermo) had seen, perhaps, would've avoided this. Yesterday I felt like I didn't ever want to go back to MRSH unless they made mayor changes. But it seems that with Derek's 8 second advantage a red flag should've popped. An fence, perhaps, would've made a different giving by all accounts Derek's was okay at first and Bill didn't impact the wall.
Yes, it is too early.

You weren't there. Neither was I.

Let the riders progress and have some time before the debates start.

It should be analyzed and dissected as to how it can be made safer, but it's better done by those that were there, not those that weren't.

This post is made with good intentions just as your was. I know you have positive intentions, I am only offering it as my opinion with the same good intentions.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-22-2014, 08:45 PM   #69
Vilks

Bike(s):
BMW S1000RR '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo92 View Post
Yes, it is too early.

You weren't there. Neither was I.

Let the riders progress and have some time before the debates start.

It should be analyzed and dissected as to how it can be made safer, but it's better done by those that were there, not those that weren't.

This post is made with good intentions just as your was. I know you have positive intentions, I am only offering it as my opinion with the same good intentions.
Point is well taken. It's just my first reaction was to put blame on the nature of MRSH, like so many others or the lack of soft barrier, but perhaps there more to it.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #70
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Point is well taken. It's just my first reaction was to put blame on the nature of MRSH, like so many others or the lack of soft barrier, but perhaps there more to it.
Thanks. I'm with you, it is frustrating.

They will dive in and hopefully come up with some answers.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:19 PM   #71
supadupa

Feedback Rating: (3)

I was there......

Corner workers were less than optimal.

I saw several other lapses besides this one.
supadupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:32 PM   #72
Vilks

Bike(s):
BMW S1000RR '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by supadupa View Post
I was there......

Corner workers were less than optimal.

I saw several other lapses besides this one.
Perhaps corner workers should be a regular crew. I ask what it take for me to corner work and apparently nothing. I've, probably, done over 30 track days and felt uncountable that it be so easy for me to just corner work just like that, perhaps a day course at least? I'm just throwing things out there.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:39 PM   #73
j_e_hurst
Josh

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600

It seems like they were just accidents. Yes, in hindsight, some things may have been done differently to avoid them but they happened. It's racing. You're riding on the edge of skill and ability. Things like this happen, and very frequently actually. We all know the risks and it's our CHOICE to do it. They knew the possibilities but enjoy the sport so they chose to continue doing the things they enjoy. I pray they get better and continue doing those things.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:43 PM   #74
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Perhaps corner workers should be a regular crew. I ask what it take for me to corner work and apparently nothing. I've, probably, done over 30 track days and felt uncountable that it be so easy for me to just corner work just like that, perhaps a day course at least? I'm just throwing things out there.

Considering what they pay...you'd have a bunch of, to be politically incorrect, illegals doing it. And there's no way you'd get appropriate flagging as there would be a language barrier.

Even GP uses volunteer cornerworkers.

Either way, I think you're asking a lot. 8 seconds is not an amazing amount of time to see a crash, make an assessment, grab the correct flag, run out to the edge of the track where you're visible with said flag, and prevent the second accident. If you think about it: a FAST 40 yard dash is 4 seconds. So just getting out to where your flag is visible eats half of the time. And I seriously doubt all of our cornerworkers are NCAA D1 sprinters...
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:45 PM   #75
Classax
Objective Observer

Bike(s):
2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

I would also like to point out that they ran clockwise yesterday where as running counter clockwise you're coming around sugar and spice onto the pit straight with much less speed than the 100 or so mph we carry out of the carousel into what's is basically a high speed chicane which is turn 1 pointing at the pit straight wall. CCW is a much safer direction especially when the track is green and or wet. IJS
Classax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:09 PM   #76
ArkansasDave

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
Considering what they pay...you'd have a bunch of, to be politically incorrect, illegals doing it. And there's no way you'd get appropriate flagging as there would be a language barrier.

Even GP uses volunteer cornerworkers.

Either way, I think you're asking a lot. 8 seconds is not an amazing amount of time to see a crash, make an assessment, grab the correct flag, run out to the edge of the track where you're visible with said flag, and prevent the second accident. If you think about it: a FAST 40 yard dash is 4 seconds. So just getting out to where your flag is visible eats half of the time. And I seriously doubt all of our cornerworkers are NCAA D1 sprinters...
I wasn't there either but I would say 8 seconds is not enough for the corner worker to throw a flag. Also at CMRA red flags take a little bit of time because only race control can authorize them. As far as corner working goes let this be a reminder to watch out for your fellow riders and do your best to keep them safe.
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:12 PM   #77
Vilks

Bike(s):
BMW S1000RR '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_e_hurst View Post
It seems like they were just accidents. Yes, in hindsight, some things may have been done differently to avoid them but they happened. It's racing. You're riding on the edge of skill and ability. Things like this happen, and very frequently actually. We all know the risks and it's our CHOICE to do it. They knew the possibilities but enjoy the sport so they chose to continue doing the things they enjoy. I pray they get better and continue doing those things.
I agree and I'm not looking at this weekend but future races. It's not like we have many options track wise for next year. Perhaps a light system just for the end of the carrousel into the pit straight? Just, exploring options. MotoGP has been extremely safe in the last 30 year, club racing should be even more giving the nature of it.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:18 PM   #78
ArkansasDave

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
I agree and I'm not looking at this weekend but future races. It's not like we have many options track wise for next year. Perhaps a light system just for the end of the carrousel into the pit straight? Just, exploring options. MotoGP has been extremely safe in the last 30 year, club racing should be even more giving the nature of it.
MotoGP also races on world class tracks with so much run off they can go off at 160 mph and still not hit anything.

Road america has a light system around their carousel and other places which I thought worked pretty well. Now who is gonna pay for it?
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-22-2014, 10:38 PM   #79
proasian3

Feedback Rating: (5)

Prayers sent to our fellow riders and racers.
proasian3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-22-2014, 10:40 PM   #80
Vilks

Bike(s):
BMW S1000RR '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasDave View Post
MotoGP also races on world class tracks with so much run off they can go off at 160 mph and still not hit anything.

Road america has a light system around their carousel and other places which I thought worked pretty well. Now who is gonna pay for it?
I'll look into how much it cost. That's a start. Perhaps, there is some grant out there. Bikes going fast on the track is safer that on the street.