MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #21
Sudo
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

User is banned

Sudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weird set valve issue?! reztehdanimal Performance and Modifications 9 03-14-2013 09:53 PM
CBR 929rr headlight issue v r6racer Performance and Modifications 15 02-28-2013 10:34 PM
sv650: removed round headlight trying to add-in "s" headlight harness. Not plug&play SideVinder650 How To's and Q & A's 1 04-07-2012 03:58 PM
F4I Headlight Issue jooser13 How To's and Q & A's 4 06-26-2010 12:30 AM
Weird issue with fuel cap Intermission General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 06-19-2008 10:24 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #22
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Yeah, I've got the service manual, just need to dig the schematic out of it. Planning on blowing it up and keeping it on-hand once I start in with the multimeter. I ordered a new one off amazon (hoping 800+ good reviews means it's going to work decently) and it looks like it should be here sometime Saturday.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:36 PM   #23
buddha429
Reformed Track Addict

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
at the junkyard

so now it doesn't crank at all?
buddha429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:53 AM   #24
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Yep. General timeline:

1) bike started and ran just fine, no headlight (lo or hi). Pulled the bulb connector and saw ~12.7 V at both lo and hi terminal, ground showed unusually high resistance between terminal and battery when key was switched on. Somewhere in here I swapped around some relays thinking maybe that was the issue.

2) I didn't like how part of the wiring harness was run outside the frame, so I disconnected a few connections and ran it inside the frame. (This is probably where I screwed something up.)

3) keep messing with the bike trying to trace wires and such, now I'm not seeing 12V at headlight connection, and only getting a click with the starter button, even with battery fresh off tender.

4) Decide to replace the harness since the original harness had a bad connector where it plugged into the gauge cluster and I had a replacement handy.

5) Complete harness swap and now cluster is connected and working, but still just a click and no headlight.

I'm kind of thinking that I had a bad relay, and when I swapped a couple around that it's possible that I stuck the bad one into the starting circuit. I'll get the wiring diagram printed out and start tracing lines from the battery this weekend. The fact that nothing changed when I swapped the harness makes me think that the issue wasn't in the harness at all, so it's just a matter of isolating the offending component.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:56 AM   #25
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

You're on the right track; either a bad component or something incorrectly connected.
I'm off this weekend but will be back in the shop on Tuesday if you want to call and go over the circuit. Best time would be after lunch.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #26
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

I got it all sorted. It was a combination of a bad headlight relay and some old-fashioned ignorance on my part. Apparently while swapping relays around I neglected to notice that the primary relay was a 5-pin, and the fifth pin is the one that sent power to the headlight relay. I had just happened to swap the bad headlight relay into the slot for the main relay, which caused my starting issue and led to the headlight relay not receiving any power. Once I got the proper relay back in the main relay slot and replaced the headlight relay, everything was good. Now to figure out why my mini won't start...
Old 11-03-2014, 10:24 AM   #27
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Good stuff!
Old 12-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #28
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Ok, I knew I had a check engine light, just didn't know how many or what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
Does your bike have a standard OBDII plug? If so, Autozone should be able to scan it.
Of course I've had an OBDII scanner for years, but I figured why try just any tool when it gives me an excuse to buy the "right" (read: new) tool? Yeah, don't know why I didn't try it before now, but thanks to Pinball's comment from earlier I did just that.

Most codes were residual from when I replaced the wiring harness: fuel level error, speed sensor error, MAP error, IAT error, few misc. others that I can't remember. I cleared them all and went for a ride around the block. I got home and the one that remains is P1690: CAN communication error. For anyone familiar with Triumphs, is it possible this error is showing up because I'm not running the stock gauge cluster, or is there something else going on?

I'm off to look around on the triumph forums and see who else has reported issues like this and see what the fix is. The other thing that I have not done yet that I still need to address is to replace the fuel filter. I've got a new one sitting here, but not quite sure what to do with 2.5 gal. of gas while I open the tank, since I've got no way to drain it ATM...
Old 12-08-2014, 08:10 PM   #29
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

As for how it rode, while "cold" it ran great. All the off-idle hesitation I was experiencing was gone... until it warmed up. I made it roughly a mile (loop around my neighborhood) before pulling back onto my street and it was just getting rough again.

Searching around the TriumphRat forum it appears that P1690 is indeed a result of not having my stock cluster hooked up, I'm just lucky that I have a pre-08 (or so) 1050 that will still let the engine start without it hooked up. I guess I'll go ahead and ride the bike in again tomorrow and check codes again once I get home to see if there are any other codes available.

Keeping my fingers crossed that a new fuel filter will help as much with my hesitation issue as it seems to have helped some other guys over there.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #30
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Hmm...I wonder if the aftermarket cluster has a similar effect that the gear position indicator on my VStrom does. My GPI is wonky and doesn't always read 6th gear. When that happens, it defaults to a neutral map and starts bogging. If the ECU is tied into the speedo, the aftermarket cluster might be confusing the ECU.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #31
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

I don't currently have any cluster hooked up, but the bike ran fine without it for the first several weeks after I got it. Whatever is going on started after I replaced the wiring harness. The old harness actually had the gauge cluster connection damaged such that I couldn't have hooked it up. The guys who are having issues due to not having a cluster are reporting that the bike won't crank over at all without the cluster hooked up.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #32
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Don't know how much performance I'm losing here. Anyone know just how far out the throttle bodies are? I'll try to get them synced this weekend.

e1b6df5659f168588214a21dfb62fb6c

As for codes, all in showing right now are CAN communication error and speed sensor error. Looks like both are likely due to missing stock cluster.

Last edited by Jae; 12-10-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:17 PM   #33
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Finally got everything sorted. Had a vacuum line off on of the throttle bodies loose. Don't know how I missed it the last time I was in there, but got it hooked back up properly and new plugs in, and it's now running great with MPG back up over 40.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:45 PM   #34
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Glad you got it sorted out.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement