Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #1
itsmebanky

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Huffy

Anyone overcome a slipped (herniated) disc to get back on the track?

Long version:
about 2-3 months ago I slipped a disc during deadlifts. an x-ray confirmed a minor herniation in L5-S1 (most common). During the first few weeks i had sciatica pain down to my right cheek. fast forward today and my lower back pain lingers but is not as noticeable anymore. however, my main issue right now is my right calf muscle has lost a lot of strength and with proper body position, during right hand turns it cannot hold my body weight anymore. it gets really sore and i have this sensation that it is about to cramp up (but never does) and eventually just hurts the more i continue my sessions during the day. im going to start rehabbing (google physical therapy) it but i wanted to know if anyone has had to overcome a similar situation and what their process was like. I really don't want to give up track riding and i am even looking into adapting my bp into something more manageable for my leg but would need professional advice/opinion before applying it.

TLDR;
minor herniation in L5-S1 with sciatica pain. right calf has lost it's strength and during proper BP begins to hurt and feels like it'll cramp but never does. looking for people who have overcome this and got back on the track to ride aggressively/competitively and how they did it
itsmebanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does anyone on MH ride with a herniated disc? dungsalot General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 05-07-2012 10:31 AM
Near miss incident- Almost slipped R6_htown General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 02-07-2007 07:31 PM
maybe hotness will overcome her stupidity.....lol RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 08-26-2006 09:28 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #2
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Never had that problem but PT has always worked for me
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:45 PM   #3
Jason_Canuck

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

Herniation is the gift that keeps on giving. 2 times in last two years for me. I ended up taking a prolonged break of almost 4 months without riding. Better today, but I know I am one lift away from it happening again.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:01 AM   #4
TardinLA
BLACK AND PROUD

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
CRF450R SM
CRF Fiddy

Unless you laser it have fun. I am lucky enough to have 4 in my lower back. Over time you will learn how to, and not to move. One of those things you learn to live with, I can normally do anything I want, but there are weeks when I can't even put on my shoes or wash my feet.
TardinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:55 AM   #5
dinosaur
Retired in place

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'05 Zx6-R (636)Sold

L3-L4-L5, had to have surgery twice,
CMRA #414
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:16 AM   #6
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

Man that sucks!
Old 09-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #7
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

I slipped a disc about 8 years ago. First 4 years afterwards sucked. Couldn't do anything active without pain the week after. I still did it though and just dealt with the pain afterwards. I didn't do any physical therapy or weight lifting to help it though. In most cases you will have long term pain that you will become accustomed to. It may or may not ever go away. Track riding although exhausting is low impact so you shouldn't have any problems after a while. You will have a much easier time getting back on the track than doing something like snowboarding or football. Lifting weights is what helped my back. I stay away from deads, squats, and heavy leg presses though. They are great core exercises but I'm afraid of injuring my back again.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:28 PM   #8
Track_Graphics

One word -

Driving range.....
Old 09-11-2014, 04:21 PM   #9
kingworm
last seen being stupid

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
92 vulcan vn 750
1981 cb 400

i broke my l5 and slipped the disk above and below it and damaged my tailbone. (coxyx? coxycs? it lol ) i ride cruiser no problem but anything even slightly sporty has me walking with a cane. we really need to get cane holders for bikes as standard feature seeing as so many riders eventually need one.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:19 PM   #10
chixwithtrix
Moto Chick

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'15 Grom, '02 KTM65 SuMo
'15 Duke 690 (sold) '08 Ninja 250 (sold), '10 BMW S1000rr (sold) '02 RC51 (sold)
'09 & '05 R1, '07 CBR600 (all sold)
'08 Aprilia SXV550 (sold)
'01 RC51, '01 CBR929 (all sold)

I had a L5 S1 herniation for about 2 years before I had to have emergency surgery because I could barely walk. Numb leg, toes, the works. It started when I was 19 and multiple docs said that there was no way I had a herniated disk. Finally I shelled out the bucks for an MRI.

Had a lumbar laminectomy. Took about 6 months to recover. Two years later I am back in motorcycles and flying power kites. No more MX though. I still live with some pain every day, but it's probably 5% of what it was before surgery. Was totally worth it to me.

My back remains weak, but I built my core up to compensate. I don't twist or bend as much anymore. Figure out what works best for your situation. Inversion thereapy works for some people as well as accupuncture and massage. Back surgery has gotten more advanced even in the last few years.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #11
itsmebanky

Bike(s):
Huffy

Lot's of great stories here- thanks guys. I thought the lack of replies meant i was the only one and didnt check back on the thread for a while.

I'm really happy to know all of you all got back on the bikes again. As for me, I'm currently working on overall health, with a focus on core work, leg strength, yoga/pilates, and 2-3x a week boxing class. I think I'll try a track day in October and see how it goes. I'm sure weight loss and rehabbing the lower back by building a strong core should work (on paper and via internet searches). My initial X-rays showed up with a minor herniation so I am really hoping to recover 100% from this.
itsmebanky is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement