Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2005, 08:19 AM   #21
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

Re: Curious about your opinions on suspension...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo3rd
who do you take your bike to then?
i think we're fortunate to have two good local shops here in town... pretty much whatever you want, you can get done at either m-u or metric...

patrick's shop is the number one Íhlins place in this part of the country and andy's shop is the only authorized Race-Tech center around here... so they're both good... i've done business with them both...

the latest mods i've done (suspension wise) was racetech my front forks w/andy... absolutely amazing performance from the front now... it feels like a different bike... i mean it literally SLICES through the corners now!...

so no matter your preference - all i ask is for ya'll to support your local shops... b/c again we're really lucky to have the choices we do here in h-town and they both seriously rock!...*
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Curious?? Whetstone91 Off Topic 10 05-02-2014 07:31 PM
just curious? bentgixxer Off Topic 24 05-09-2009 03:28 PM
Just Curious! Candie Off Topic 81 10-27-2008 08:38 AM
Just curious... 1FastMF Events, Meets and Rides 8 04-14-2007 08:08 PM
Curious A303 General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 10-23-2006 12:45 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2005, 08:24 AM   #22
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz1moto
the latest mods i've done (suspension wise) was racetech my front forks w/andy... absolutely amazing performance from the front now... it feels like a different bike... i mean it literally SLICES through the corners now!...
Yeah, I was actually talking to Patrick at MSR about getting my front RaceTech'd... thats the next project on my list. I should have it done by the July TWS (Texas World Speedway) trackday. Just gotta convince the wifey.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:25 AM   #23
paniro187

trying to hold in my experience. must.....................d.................o it........................

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 08:26 AM   #24
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Just so that everyone knows, I didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers w/ this topic. *The main thing I was interested in was mostly where people get their preference...

Patrick- *I appologize if I mis-spoke about your profit margins. *It's actually really surprising that your margins are that small on that stuff. *I didn't mean to infer that you outfit people w/ Ohlins just because you can or make more money or whatever. *I know Ohlins is good . *Don't get me wrong, if I had $3K burning a hole in my wallet I would probably buy some Ohlins forks and an Ohlins rear. *Also, according to Traxxion dynamics, if you're racing or doing lots of trackdays, every rear shock (Ohlins, Penske, Elka, etc) needs to be rebuilt every year. *Is this conflicting with your opinion, Patrick?

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 08:50 AM   #25
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Dhdrider, most of my post was not directed at anything you said, actually I should apologize for hijacking your thread and not really answering your question. That being said here's my opinion; Most of the suspension stuff out there is pretty good, especially if you're just doing trak days or occasionally racing.
I've used Ohlins, Penske, Fox, Koni, and WP shocks and have had good results. I've revalved front ends / raced bikes with Racetech, Traxxion, Lindemann, Thermosman, and Ohlins, also with good results.
I guess through the years I've developed some opinions though on what I like / tunes well / lasts. I've torn down shocks at the end of the season and many times found the Ohlins tear down was unnecessary, wheras most of the Penskes I've done needed it. I think alot of it goes into fluid managemnent and the way the different mfrs go about dampening. That being said IMO front fork servicing is often the most overlooked, whater the bike is stock or has high performance internals installed. The valving in the forks are more affected by the breakdown of the oil and are also much more subject to stiction. Any track bike should have it's forks serviced at least once during a season (not including the year end service). Even street bikes should have a service done at least every 10k miles.

Patrick

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 09:32 AM   #26
ufo34
Carlos V

Bike(s):
R.I.Pieces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Dhdrider, most of my post was not directed at anything you said, actually I should apologize for hijacking your thread and not really answering your question.* * *That being said here's my opinion; Most of the suspension stuff out there is pretty good, especially if you're just doing trak days or occasionally racing.
* I've used Ohlins, Penske, Fox, Koni, and WP shocks and have had good results.* I've revalved front ends / raced bikes with Racetech, Traxxion, Lindemann, Thermosman, and Ohlins, also with good results.
I guess through the years I've developed some opinions though on what I like / tunes well / lasts. I've torn down shocks at the end of the season and many times found the Ohlins tear down was unnecessary, wheras most of the Penskes I've done needed it. I think alot of it goes into fluid managemnent and the way the different mfrs go about dampening. That being said IMO front fork servicing is often the most overlooked, whater the bike is stock or has high performance internals installed. The valving in the forks are more affected by the breakdown of the oil and are also much more subject to stiction. Any track bike should have it's forks serviced at least once during a season (not including the year end service). Even street bikes should have a service done at least every 10k miles.

Patrick

thanks for the knowledge, its always good to hear from people who have had all different brands. I hear people recommending to others about stuff that they don't even have on their own bikes. so far i have no complaints about my Ohlins they do their job everytime.
ufo34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 12:39 PM   #27
OutlawDCustoMs
Mr Professional

Experience: 3 years

02' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
04' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' CMRA #328 (sold)

Send a message via AIM to OutlawDCustoMs

coming from what i hear, it really depends what suspension guys tune what, cause i know everyone in tx except for patrick are penske guys
Old 06-10-2005, 11:27 PM   #28
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Send a message via AIM to Capafool Send a message via MSN to Capafool

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawDCustoMs
coming from what i hear, it really depends what suspension guys tune what, cause i know everyone in tx except for patrick are penske guys
Yeah a lot of people I see out there do use penske. But like patrick said they're all good and if you're kicking w/whatever setup u got then why change. If u talk to different people they will give you different experiences and views, that's just the nature of humans, so if you're looking for something which everyone will agree on that's probably never gonna happen. So when you come across getting suspension just do a little research and make up your mind and your OWN decision! you'll never know until you've tried and experienced :biggthumpup:
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Capafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 09:15 AM   #29
OutlawDCustoMs
Mr Professional

Experience: 3 years

02' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
04' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' CMRA #328 (sold)

Send a message via AIM to OutlawDCustoMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capafool
Quote:
Yeah a lot of people I see out there do use penske.* But like patrick said they're all good and if you're kicking w/whatever setup u got then why change.* If u talk to different people they will give you different experiences and views, that's just the nature of humans, so if you're looking for something which everyone will agree on that's probably never gonna happen.* So when you come across getting suspension just do a little research and make up your mind and your OWN decision!* you'll never know until you've tried and experienced* :biggthumpup:
+1
Old 06-13-2005, 08:55 AM   #30
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capafool
Quote:
Yeah a lot of people I see out there do use penske.* But like patrick said they're all good and if you're kicking w/whatever setup u got then why change.* If u talk to different people they will give you different experiences and views, that's just the nature of humans, so if you're looking for something which everyone will agree on that's probably never gonna happen.* So when you come across getting suspension just do a little research and make up your mind and your OWN decision!* you'll never know until you've tried and experienced* :biggthumpup:
+1
:iamwithstupid:
Old 06-13-2005, 09:22 AM   #31
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Well lets see here... I ride a stock 2003 600RR and with the recommended tires and suspension settings getting handled at Motorcycles Unlimited I am running around a 2:07 at TWS (Texas World Speedway) in the level2 group my last time out with the Ride Smart guys. Seeing as how I was having to try and get around alot of traffic and passing on the inside is not allowed in that group I would say that is a fair time and Lapping a guy on a GSXR-1000 3 times in one session feels pretty good too. Now I am hoping to bump that time down a little on my trip out to TWS (Texas World Speedway) on the 20th with Lonestar and having some trackside support from the Motorcycles Unlimited crew. Yes, Patrick and Motorcycles Unlimited is at all of the Lonestar Track Days and CMRA racing events. Can anybody say that is not the best customer service one could want? Oh, you don' ride the track? Well last I checked Motorcycles Unlimited has been known to go pick up wrecked bikes on the street as well and I personally like having a bussiness and group of guys like that in my corner. right:

Support your local shops and they will support you.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:27 AM   #32
paniro187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody

say that all you want but if a big store has a cheaper price i'm jumping on it. local shop or big shop. i'll be if i "support my local shop and pay more" So i say go where the price for the product is cheaper.

Old 06-13-2005, 09:33 AM   #33
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187
Quote:

say that all you want but if a big store has a cheaper price i'm jumping on it. local shop or big shop.* i'll be if i "support my local shop and pay more"* So i say go where the price for the product is cheaper.
Well... pricing should always be competitive but, more times then not it seems people see price illusions because they forget about shipping charges and time to the door. Everybody likes to get a deal though. right:

Old 06-13-2005, 09:39 AM   #34
paniro187

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

say that all you want but if a big store has a cheaper price i'm jumping on it. local shop or big shop.* i'll be if i "support my local shop and pay more"* So i say go where the price for the product is cheaper.
Well... pricing should always be competitive but, more times then not it seems people see price illusions because they forget about shipping charges and time to the door. Everybody likes to get a deal though.* right:
i"m talking that 225 deal on pilot power tires that cycle gear had. LOL I'd be if i pay more. that was for a set. You'd probably support your local shop and pay that for a rear. I think you know what i'm saying though.

Old 06-13-2005, 11:00 AM   #35
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
Well lets see here... I ride a stock 2003 600RR and with the recommended tires and suspension settings getting handled at Motorcycles Unlimited I am running around a 2:07 at TWS (Texas World Speedway) in the level2 group my last time out with the Ride Smart guys.
I know what you mean... I'm stuck with stock F4i equipment! It sucks, haha... but I had the fork fluid changed recently and that made a nice difference.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:00 PM   #36
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O Chap
Quote:
Well lets see here... I ride a stock 2003 600RR and with the recommended tires and suspension settings getting handled at Motorcycles Unlimited I am running around a 2:07 at TWS (Texas World Speedway) in the level2 group my last time out with the Ride Smart guys.
I know what you mean... I'm stuck with stock F4i equipment!* It sucks, haha... but I had the fork fluid changed recently and that made a nice difference.
I need to do all my fluids too.... :eh:

Old 06-13-2005, 01:34 PM   #37
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

removing the forks is easy... take'em off and cage'm over to andy @ metricmotorcycles...

that's what i did...* :biggthumpup:

(saves u $$$)* right:
Old 06-13-2005, 01:38 PM   #38
paniro187

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz1moto
removing the forks is easy... take'em off and cage'm over to andy @ metricmotorcycles...

that's what i did...* :biggthumpup:

(saves u $$$)** right:
+1 and I'll help you if you want.

Old 06-13-2005, 07:32 PM   #39
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Send a message via AIM to Capafool Send a message via MSN to Capafool

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well... pricing should always be competitive but, more times then not it seems people see price illusions because they forget about shipping charges and time to the door. Everybody likes to get a deal though.* right:
:iamwithstupid:
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Capafool is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement