MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2005, 04:10 PM   #1
dhdrider

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Curious about your opinions on suspension...

Just from reading posts on this site and a couple of other boards I frequent (RC51 specific). Almost everyone talks up that Ohlins is the only way to go. It gets me thinking why that is. Is it that people w/ Penske/Elka/Fox etc. stuff just don't talk about it as much? I don't know. I have rebuilt forks on the front w/ a Penske double-clicker on the rear.

For what it's worth, prior to buying my Penske rear shock, I called Traxxion Dynamics in Georgia who sells Ohlins, Elka, and Penske. I told them I had $$$ to spend on a shock and I would basically buy what they recommended reguardless of brand or price. He told me that from the testing they had done that on the Ohlins 3-way they could never realize any discernable difference w/ the low-speed compression adjustment. After talking about all 3 brands and all the different shocks they make, he said if it were him, he would just get the $700 Penske 2-way adjustable.

Do you most of you get your suspension preferences from other riders input? Reading reviews? Who wins races? Peer pressure, or what?

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Curious?? Whetstone91 Off Topic 10 05-02-2014 07:31 PM
just curious? bentgixxer Off Topic 24 05-09-2009 03:28 PM
Just Curious! Candie Off Topic 81 10-27-2008 08:38 AM
Just curious... 1FastMF Events, Meets and Rides 8 04-14-2007 08:08 PM
Curious A303 General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 10-23-2006 12:45 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2005, 04:16 PM   #2
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Re: Curious about your opinions on suspension...

people with ohlins have toooooo much money,,,
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:22 PM   #3
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

I know Patrick Hart of Motorcycles Unlimited is an Ohlins guy all the way... all his personal bikes get Ohlin's all the way, rear shock AND forks. Those bikes are unreal. Marcus McBain of RPS is a Penske guy, and he is one of the best suspension tuners you'll ever meet. Andy from Metric Motorcycles is a RaceTech guys. I believe he is one of the only RaceTech certified technicians in the Houston area. I've never ridden a bike with a RaceTech rear shock, but I know Charles (paniro) has it done to his bike and he swears by it. Andy claims, and I beleive him, that he can get a RaceTech'd rear shock to handle as good as any Ohlins, Penske or Elka shock.

Personally, if money were no object... I'd get Ohlins forks and rear shock. I like the shiny gold...

But, I've ridden many bikes with a RaceTech front end and it's a beautiful thing compared to stock suspension... it really is amazing with the difference.

My bike is going in soon to get RaceTech'd front end... I'm suffering with bone stock equipment front and rear and the times I'm putting at TWS (Texas World Speedway) are really starting to show mid corner. When I spoke with Andy, he said that for the 2:05s I'm doing I need to have a very aggressive suspension set up.

No offense to any of the guys here, but there just isn't near the track/race knowledge on this board as HSN or TSBA... I'd post up there and see what those folks have to say.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:50 PM   #4
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

No offense to Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited, but he makes more money on a $1000-$1200 Ohlins shock than he does a $700-$800 Penske. What better way to get people to buy Ohlins than put it on your "own stuff." I was just intrigued when I said to the guys at Traxxion, "I have $1200 to spend on any 3 of those brands." And he recommended I go with the Penske 2-way...

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:11 PM   #5
paniro187

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdrider
No offense to Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited, but he makes more money on a $1000-$1200 Ohlins shock than he does a $700-$800 Penske.* What better way to get people to buy Ohlins than put it on your "own stuff."* I was just intrigued when I said to the guys at Traxxion, "I have $1200 to spend on any 3 of those brands."* And he recommended I go with the Penske 2-way...
plus one i'm gald someone said it.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:23 PM   #6
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

I have no qualms about it... No offense taken.

But think of it this way... he's in it to make money. I'd like to maximize my earnings as well. Besides, I don't think he is even a supplier of Penske stuff.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:28 PM   #7
linjy2

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
02 SV650S
08 WR250X
08 CBR600RR

Send a message via AIM to linjy2

i plan to have my front and rear raceteched. good enough for my needs because i'm not racing.
linjy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:28 PM   #8
paniro187

well steve, *I'd trust the thoughts on a person that sells both rther than a person that sell one and pushes it over the other *:eh:

Old 06-09-2005, 05:30 PM   #9
CBR RN
An observer

Bike(s):
had an F4i

*Speaking of ohlins, I have an Ohlins rear shock for sale: *To fit Honda CBR F4i: 2001-present models. *Pretty much brand new, less than 100 miles on it. *
Old 06-09-2005, 08:16 PM   #10
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Send a message via AIM to Capafool Send a message via MSN to Capafool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdrider
No offense to Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited, but he makes more money on a $1000-$1200 Ohlins shock than he does a $700-$800 Penske.* What better way to get people to buy Ohlins than put it on your "own stuff."* I was just intrigued when I said to the guys at Traxxion, "I have $1200 to spend on any 3 of those brands."* And he recommended I go with the Penske 2-way...
I have hypercoil shock spring and traxxion Dynamic front springs.* They've worked great for me.* I have done some of this research too and I guess if u have the cash on the Ohlins then it wouldn't hurt... But do u really need it?* Ty howard I believe races w/penske rear and traxxion Dynamic cartridges front and he's Faaaast!* u dont need to have all that expensive to be good and if something happens to your bike it's just gonna cost that much more to get the thing fixed!* So with that said, get something that will work for you.* W/the setup u have I dont think I would spend anything on suspension unless u need a rebuild for it.* Spend that cash on somethin else for your bike!* Unless you're pullin like 1:55s and know its your suspension holding you back I dont think that u should spend the money... but that's just me.* If I had the cash i would get a penske shock for the rear and perhaps change my front cartridges to Traxxion Dynamics.* But its just an opinion.* Be cool* right:

as a matter of fact, if im not mistakin I was lookin at some prices for shocks and some penske shock was more than the Ohlins one.
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Capafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:18 PM   #11
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Send a message via AIM to Capafool Send a message via MSN to Capafool

Marcus McBain did my suspension and im not tryin to advertise either, but check out his site... www.roadracinghelp.com He's a suspension guy and has TONS of stuff there on suspension info.. It might help find and answer to something :biggthumpup:
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Capafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:20 PM   #12
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Just to set the record straight for some people who have absolutley no idea what they're talking about;
1) I average between $80.00 to $100.00 profit on an Ohlins shock. I use them because they work, I prefer the large orifice valving they use over some of the other brands. Plus they require less maintenance / less frequent rebuilds.

2) I sell all brands, Penske included, I actually make more profit on a Penske, plus you'll be coming back to me more often for maintenance. So I'd actually make more money. Once again your babbling holds no water.

3) Race Tech is great stuff, I've used it for years with great results. I don't particularly care to use it in shocks however, because IMO most stock shocks don't give you predictable linear results, even when Race Teched. BTW, for what it's worth I make the most profit % from Race Tech sales / installation. So anyone who says I recommend a product because of it's profitability is talking out their .

Patrick

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:37 PM   #13
BubbaRRay

Feedback Rating: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonR1
+1 on that, too much freakin money
Before I did any suspension work to my bike I talked to a lot of different people about it.* Some of them with the same bike as me, some without.* The one thing that stuck in my mind was when one of my buddies said, What do all of the good professional race teams use?...Ohlins
Now I'm not saying that to slam on anyone else, I'm just putting in my 2 cents.* I don't have any idea how anything else works, because I have never used it.* I just know what I have, and I really like it.
CMRA #803
Check out my Sponsor House Page http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Member...m/Default.aspx
BubbaRRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:51 PM   #14
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Actually the current trend among front line AMA and WSB teams is either; Ohlins, WP, or Showa. Penske is next to unheard of.
Not to say it's a bad shock, it's a good piece, I just believe there are better ones out there.

Patrick

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 12:00 AM   #15
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O Chap

But think of it this way... he's in it to make money. I'd like to maximize my earnings as well. Besides, I don't think he is even a supplier of Penske stuff.
who do you take your bike to then?
Old 06-10-2005, 12:46 AM   #16
OutlawDCustoMs
Mr Professional

Experience: 3 years

02' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
04' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' CMRA #328 (sold)

Send a message via AIM to OutlawDCustoMs

Patrick rox for all sorts of customer service... gota love the guy, he's been there for me and everything as a new up and comer. for suspension, i don't really want to badmouth anyone, so i'm gonna keep my mouth shut on this issue. After I had all sorts of jacked up cold tear on my tires, patrick helped me out and set my suspension up a bit, went to race the first race, i was kinda describing my problems to mike sanchez since i pitted right by him, and before i could go back to patrick about my suspension he got don finelli to do some clicks and stuff, my suspension was golden after that for the second race. so i guess i could say the combination of both? i've talked to quite a few guys about don, and they say he's always right and he's the best, he's just hard to work with... i mean 300 to setup your suspension HOLY COW, anyhow i hear great stuff about don, andy, patrick, and marcus....but i have my views as well as experiences with each, except andy
Old 06-10-2005, 04:41 AM   #17
paniro187

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawDCustoMs
Patrick rox for all sorts of customer service... gota love the guy, he's been there for me and everything as a new up and comer.* for suspension, i don't really want to badmouth anyone, so i'm gonna keep my mouth shut on this issue.* After I had all sorts of jacked up cold tear on my tires, patrick helped me out and set my suspension up a bit, went to race the first race, i was kinda describing my problems to mike sanchez since i pitted right by him, and before i could go back to patrick about my suspension he got don finelli to do some clicks and stuff, my suspension was golden after that for the second race.* so i guess i could say the combination of both?* i've talked to quite a few guys about don, and they say he's always right and he's the best, he's just hard to work with... i mean 300 to setup your suspension HOLY COW, anyhow i hear great stuff about don, andy, patrick, and marcus....but i have my views as well as experiences with each, except andy
every rapper ain't a star, and every plaid ain't Burberry

Old 06-10-2005, 04:44 AM   #18
paniro187

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaRRay
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonR1
+1 on that, too much freakin money
Before I did any suspension work to my bike I talked to a lot of different people about it.* Some of them with the same bike as me, some without.* The one thing that stuck in my mind was when one of my buddies said, What do all of the good professional race teams use?...Ohlins
Now I'm not saying that to slam on anyone else, I'm just putting in my 2 cents.* I don't have any idea how anything else works, because I have never used it.* I just know what I have, and I really like it.
if you believe that the ohlins shock you buy is the same ones the professional race teams use you're very mistaken.*

Old 06-10-2005, 07:46 AM   #19
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo3rd
who do you take your bike to then?
I have only taken my bike to Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited unlimited.... no one else has touched it. That's where I bought my leathers, 2 other Fieldsheer jackets other various accessories.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:47 AM   #20
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Motorcycles Unlimited set up my front and rear susp. also...
known patrick along time,, use to ride with him back in the day...
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement