Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2014, 06:23 PM   #21
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenup283 View Post
The ca never stopped before turning across the road, it was taking an early entry, clearly only cinsudering the car which yes the motorcycle passed, but keep in mind this had nothing to do with the motorcycles speed and everything to do with people in cars look through and past bikes to to nearest danger to them. RIP.
lets say he was going 70 80 miles an hour. that looks like what? a 40mph zone? if he was going around 40, do you think he would have lived? or gotten on the brakes at lower speeds? or took evasive action around the car at lower speeds? not defending the car because the car was at mistake too but i dont think "this had nothing to do with the motorcycles speed"
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mother uckers !!!!!! ANTISOCIAL Off Topic 8 01-05-2009 09:33 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2014, 07:06 PM   #22
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

In my mind, they were both at fault. The guy just passed a car. When the car looked down the street he probably saw that the car was far enough away that he had time to cross when a speeding motorcycle came into the mix.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:08 PM   #23
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmpastx View Post
In my mind, they were both at fault. The guy just passed a car. When the car looked down the street he probably saw that the car was far enough away that he had time to cross when a speeding motorcycle came into the mix.
i wonder how it feels to be that driver knowing he effed up that bad.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #24
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6racer View Post
Dude, for all we know, the driver who pulled in front of the biker saw the car the biker was passing and could not have possibly imagined a scenario in which a bike comes roaring around that car...

I'm not saying that we can clear him of all blame, but if the motorcyclist had been driving reasonably, it wouldn't have happened. And he paid the price for it.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #25
pigfarmer
Banned

Bike(s):
Salsa Horsethief
Paugcho bobber

User is banned

pigfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #26
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Am I going to because I laughed when he made that funny noise just before he hit the car?
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #27
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
Dude, for all we know, the driver who pulled in front of the biker saw the car the biker was passing and could not have possibly imagined a scenario in which a bike comes roaring around that car...

I'm not saying that we can clear him of all blame, but if the motorcyclist had been driving reasonably, it wouldn't have happened. And he paid the price for it.
Yeah that sucks and very probable that happend. And youre right both of them effed up in this situation id probably be flying down that road too tho
Old 09-06-2014, 02:03 AM   #28
Fastola
Banned

Bike(s):
06 CBR6er-street

User is banned

Fastola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:11 AM   #29
650ninja
speed is lovely

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 650r sold :(
02 daytona 955i is fat sold
06' Triumph Daytona 675 sold D:
2003 sv650 distroyer of fingers sold
2004 gsxr 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastola View Post
Its always the motorcycles/my fault. Even if it aint imho. If you ride defensive enough it wont happen near.

I have a deer problem riding up here in oregon. I saw at least 20 fawns this evening at 3pm going out on 66. And "open range" half the road. Loose cows too. I saw em on edge of road i fuckn came down to slow and the calf almost ran into the road. Lol. Had a fawn cross the road 300ft in front of me.. But i was cruising sloow cause it was 5. First ride out. 66 is a mini pikes peak climb but better. Its off the chain. No rails on some gnar gnar areas. Coming down i was killn it, and had a thought if my front brakes go out im dead. Boom. So i backed it in.
what r u riding up there?
Old 09-06-2014, 02:54 AM   #30
Fastola
Banned

Bike(s):
06 CBR6er-street

User is banned

Old 09-06-2014, 03:16 AM   #31
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
Am I going to because I laughed when he made that funny noise just before he hit the car?
Yyyyyup.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:57 AM   #32
Truckin_Thumper

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastola View Post
Its always the motorcycles/my fault. Even if it aint imho. If you ride defensive enough it wont happen near.

I have a deer problem riding up here in oregon. I saw at least 20 fawns this evening at 3pm going out on 66. And "open range" half the road. Loose cows too. I saw em on edge of road i fuckn came down to slow and the calf almost ran into the road. Lol. Had a fawn cross the road 300ft in front of me.. But i was cruising sloow cause it was 5. First ride out. 66 is a mini pikes peak climb but better. Its off the chain. No rails on some gnar gnar areas. Coming down i was killn it, and had a thought if my front brakes go out im dead. Boom. So i backed it in.
You wanna survive the wildlife up there?
Get the quietest exhaust you can, then ride as fast as you want.

On my Caponord, it had the stock exhaust, SUPER quiet.
I was in Montana, 10pm or so. I had just come off I-15 and was heading West to Darby (just south of Missoula) to get naked with this gal....I had to GO!

Anyways, about 15-20 miles into this ride, the deer were out for a buffet. Pretty sure almost ALL of the deer in those hills had come out to scare the out of me. Speed limit was 55-65 on two lanes. I was doing 65-75. Big mistake. I would get pretty close to the deer and they would start scrambling for safety. Some would run in front of me, others would run the other way.
I did what 99% of riders would do.....slow down. Guess what....that made it WORSE. ' deer had more time to play "jump over the biker without getting hit, and win the best grazing spot!".

Well, me being a bit smarter than the deer (not but much though) decided I would experiment with them. Yeah, there were that many out there. Lets go.....80mph and see what happens. it, if ima die on a bike, going 80, to get laid by a hot 35 year old....it will be well worth it.

80 mph seemed to give me more of a buffer with the tick infested murderers.
it, lets go 100!

Guess what, at that speed the stupid could not comprehend what was coming and would just stand there, frozen. PERFECT!

Here I am , going like a bat out of , through Montana, with more deer than in the entire state of Texas, and WINNING! I was so happy and excited I was sure I am going to get nekkid much sooner than anticipated.
When I made my right turn on 93, I was at the "top" of a decent hill. This is the home of the Natchez Trail, beautiful area. about 12 miles of some pretty twisty road, and empty...except me and the deer. I came down that hump trying my best to drag hard parts. I passed a camper on the inside, him off so bad he gave me the dreaded high beam treatment. LOL.
To set the record straight here, I had played on that stretch for a month or so, while I was chasing this gal around the house. I rode this stretch once a day 5-6 days a week. I had it memorized.

Just before the Sept. snows started falling, I got lucky and found out the chic was insane, all three of her were nuts and one of her was sane. So I bolted.

I learned from from that night, and took my lessons to other parts of the country, including NC,TN, WV, AL, GA, and WI too. This method seems to work in those locales too.

The trick is to be QUIET. No loud tires, no stupid GP shorty pipes, not Saving lives Pipes.

Deer move on hearing not sight, they cant see worth a , but their ears and nose work unreal good.

The next time you're in deer country, haul and be stealthy, much more fun that going slow and hittin one them sumbitches
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #33
Fastola
Banned

Bike(s):
06 CBR6er-street

User is banned

Last edited by Fastola; 09-06-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:23 PM   #34
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

Wow, so many angels up in this thread sticking to speed limits on country lanes!!
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #35
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

And who the gets to a traffic intersection and crosses based on an assumption that traffic is doing the speed limit!!!!! You look and make a judgement based on your observation that allows you to complete you're maneuver safely whether the oncoming is doing 40 under or 40 over...............
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:01 PM   #36
rhenriksen

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)

Most riders don't really appreciate the difficulty in judging speed of an oncoming motorcycle, from the cager's perspective.

Think about how you gauge how fast a vehicle is approaching you: by how quickly it gets wider. That's basically it. When you have a six foot wide vehicle approaching, it's much easier to perceive the rate of change in its apparent width. Much more difficult for your brain when a) the vehicle is 1-3' wide (even more so at night when all you have to work with is a single headlight), and b) you're not a rider.

When I was a teenager, I was blind as a bat without contacts. I tore one lens, and drove around for months with a single lens. 20/20 in one eye, well beyond the threshold of legally blind in the other eye. I had an epiphany one night when I almost rear ended a car: because it only had one working taillight! That's when I realized this idea of rate of change in apparent width as the mechanism for gauging approach speed.

So IMO it's very unrealistic to expect the cager to not have pulled across the biker's path. You drive that far above the speed limit, don't come crying when your right of way gets violated. Just keep your life insurance paid up for your dependents, and leave an apology note for the survivors who have to deal with the trauma of your (tiny) brain splattered across their windshield.
rhenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-10-2014, 08:09 AM   #37
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6racer View Post
It can mess with you, even when your not @ fault.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:13 AM   #38
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

I T-boned a bicyclist once with my motorcycle. Totally my fault. happens
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #39
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
I T-boned a bicyclist once with my motorcycle. Totally my fault. happens
You know you're not supposed to ride your motorcycle on the sidewalk though... Totally avoidable.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:36 PM   #40
kingworm
last seen being stupid

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
92 vulcan vn 750
1981 cb 400

[QUOTE=Jae;3813835]You know you're not supposed to ride your motorcycle on the sidewalk though... Totally avoidable.

says who? i always thought that was only cops playing .

if they didnt want motorcycles on the sidewalk why did they put it so close to the road?

as for that video easily avoidable death. car could have not pulled infront of him or alternatively he could have not been going 97 ( thats what the video says)

Advertisement