MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2014, 10:05 PM   #1
drummervato

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Valve Inspection - Orings

I'm doing a valve adjustment and just curious if you guys replace orings you encounter during a job when you do maintenance? Also, is there a better way to buy them instead of from dealership/suzuki online? Thanks for the feedback!
drummervato is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Valve inspection(time to buy a new bike) Flip Flop How To's and Q & A's 96 03-22-2015 09:38 AM
Valve Job Gixxer_JOO Performance and Modifications 2 08-23-2010 10:15 PM
valve adjustment blue46 How To's and Q & A's 8 11-16-2009 02:43 PM
Valve adjusting ekfraz General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 05-25-2009 05:17 PM
Valve tool lightlord General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 04-29-2009 07:07 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2014, 11:24 PM   #2
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

They don't have o-rings on the valves...They do have valve stem seals...but you would need to pull the valve keepers, springs etc to do it. So you would need to put in a spark plug air hose adapter to keep the valve closed while you did it or pull the head and do a full head job.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/623...eH4aAgtT8P8HAQ

Valve20Stem20Seals
Old 08-23-2014, 06:59 AM   #3
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummervato View Post
I'm doing a valve adjustment and just curious if you guys replace orings you encounter during a job when you do maintenance? Also, is there a better way to buy them instead of from dealership/suzuki online? Thanks for the feedback!
Depends on the bike and condition of the gaskets and o-rings.
What bike do you have and how many miles are on it?

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:05 PM   #4
Falcon
Getcha Pull

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
06 R6 (Track)
KTM 450 sx-f (street)

Depending on exactly what seal it is and material I would say you should do one of two things. If you plan on reassembling it and don't want to pull the valve cover of for many thousands of miles than just go ahead and replace what seals and gaskets you can while you have it apart. If you plan on doing more maintenance in the near future or enjoy wrenching on your stuff you could try and get the max life out of everything. Just be prepared to turn a wrench if needed.

Do extensive research on your application however for there may be a gasket or seal which after disassembling will not quite seal the same again and will need to be replaced.

As stated above you don't have to worry about your valve seals... Unless they are damaged and you are finding oil in the ports/cylinder.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:44 PM   #5
drummervato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Depends on the bike and condition of the gaskets and o-rings.
What bike do you have and how many miles are on it?
Thanks Patrick. It is an "antique" 06 GXR 600 with 38k miles (I bought it brand new). 6 of my exhaust valves were out tolerance, the rest were fine. I am not doing a full cylinder head/valve job, just meant for example the orings on the oil jet(cam chain tensioner), and the orings inside the sparkplug tubes(where the journal holders fit into), etc. I think I will go ahead and follow service manual instructions and just replace whatever orings I encounter during maintenance to make sure I get a good seal.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:46 PM   #6
drummervato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
Depending on exactly what seal it is and material I would say you should do one of two things. If you plan on reassembling it and don't want to pull the valve cover of for many thousands of miles than just go ahead and replace what seals and gaskets you can while you have it apart. If you plan on doing more maintenance in the near future or enjoy wrenching on your stuff you could try and get the max life out of everything. Just be prepared to turn a wrench if needed.

Do extensive research on your application however for there may be a gasket or seal which after disassembling will not quite seal the same again and will need to be replaced.

As stated above you don't have to worry about your valve seals... Unless they are damaged and you are finding oil in the ports/cylinder.
Thanks for feedback. I am definitely replacing all the gaskets I encountered (cylinder head cover, journal holders), just meant the regular orings. I do enjoy wrenching on my stuff. I use to work for an oil/gas company where not replacing a $1 oring could compromise a $250k tool, so I figured the same concept should apply to my motorcycle
Old 08-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #7
Falcon
Getcha Pull

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
06 R6 (Track)
KTM 450 sx-f (street)

No problem. That's just my opinion. Just as you said about plant work I apply to engines. I've debated this forever with guys on motor builds. They buy a Callies crank, Diamond pistons, Jesels VT and then go and be a Cheap A$$ buying bearings and seals and cheap oil system parts. Why toss thousands upon thousands of dollars in nice parts just to risk them with cheap bearings and poor oiling. You already have 15k in the motor put another $300 to buy good stuff. As you said $1 dollar here can be $1000 dollars down the road when that $1 fails.

Good Luck

Advertisement