MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Cruisers Lounge
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2014, 02:23 PM   #21
Streetkred
insert brain here.

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
04 Honda VTX 1300c
01 Honda Shadow 750 spirit (sold)
98 Suzuki Katana 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
I'm also 6'4" and I found the sportster extremely uncomfortable.

I'd have to say look into a suzuki M800. 800cc is good because it can easily cruise at HWY speeds, but it's not too big and heavy either.

other pro's of this bike are:

-Fuel injection(don't have to worry about the new ethanol infused gas gunking up the carbs)
-Watercooled, which is good if you'll be sitting in traffic, plus the engines tend to last longer)
-can't remember if it is shaft or belt drive, but either is much less maintenance than a chain.
-affordable. You can easily find one for less than 5k

Edit: I forgot to mention the valves are hydraulic and rarely need inspection, which is one of the most expensive/tedious maintenance tasks
My friend I ride with has a M50 and its good Bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
Truth is, it's very hard to go wrong with any cruiser for a beginner bike. Most come off the line quick, but taper off on speed around 90. A Ninja 250 has a higher top speed than a VTX1300. The bonus of a cruiser is that it has low end torque in almost any gear, so you're not always fighting to downshift for power.

If you were looking for a sportbike, I'd say start small. For a cruiser, I say no less than a 900. A 600cc cruiser is going to top out around 75-80, which means you'll have nothing left if you need acceleration for evasive action.

Sit on bikes, decide what's comfortable, and pull the trigger. The shorter the rake, the better it will handle, and vice-versa, so keep that in mind.
Well said!!!

Me Myself, I rode for a while on a shadow 750 Before I upgraded to My VTX and I Honestly think the Shadow would be great for someone new wanting to ride!
Streetkred is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What makes someone a "good rider"? TIFFANY&Co. General Discussion (Moto Related) 61 10-17-2011 09:14 AM
MCN First ride on the new Ducati Cruiser "Diavel" sunday_rider General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 02-10-2011 09:15 PM
Cheap "throw down" bike needed for beginner... KSims1868 General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 11-20-2010 03:54 AM
Good Bye "Habeas Corpus", Hello "Enemy Belligerent Act of 2010" CaJuNsOuLjA The Circus 70 03-12-2010 03:22 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #22
gkcontra

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2008 GSX 650F -Blue
2008 GSX 650F - Black
2003 GSXR600 Alstare(sold)
97 sportster 1200C (sold)
'00 Shadow Ace (Sold)

Looking at it, you can't go wrong with the one pinball listed. The Sabre 1100 is solid, as are the vtx's. I started on a 750 Shadow and within a year or so wanted more power. I tried a Sportster 1200 and at 6'+ I think you'll be really uncomfortable on it.
gkcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-30-2014, 06:18 PM   #23
SafetyLimiter

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
07' Vulcan Classic 1600
06' CBR 600f4i Stolen
99' Kawasaki ZX6 SOLD
03 GSXR 1000 Traded

Member Garage

Vulcan classic 1600. You'll adjust for its size and it's really comfortable. You get something small you'll get tired of it. That's my opinion.
SafetyLimiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 08-31-2014, 08:54 AM   #24
768MPH
HOG 1

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki B-King

I started with a cruiser myself and changed over to a CBR1100.

I actually have my cruiser for sale...

Best of luck to you and your search! And good luck finding a reason NOT to ride. lol

'08 Suzuki B King- FOR SALE
Two Bros Slip ons
PC 3
Dyno Tune by Terry Kizer
768MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:05 AM   #25
Rayinhouston

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
1998 Valk
1984 Honda V65 Sabre
KLR-650
1976 DT-400
Suzuki T-350 C-Z 400, Husky 360c, 71 SL-70 "hotrod"

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
Personally, I'm interested to check out both HD's new "street" series (500cc & 750cc watercooled cruisers) as well as Indian's new Scout. However, they're way too new to be able to recommend them, as I've yet to ride them or see any reliability data.
I have looked at them..... Didn't Honda make the same bikes back in the mid-80's....?????
Rayinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement