MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
apleschu
Chief Cat Herder

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'14 R1200GSAW

Send a message via Skype™ to apleschu
How to ride in a group (ADV and dirt riders)

We all know "normal" group riding, staggered formation and all the goodies. But because of two lost riders on today's adv, dirt ride I decided it might be a good idea to write a short refresher for all adv and dirt riders in a group.

WE have all been there, we are riding in a group and nor always all riders and bikes are equally versed and fast. And that is good so. after all the first most important rule is that everybody is responsible for for him/herself. Problems arise in a group where the rules of riding in a group are not heeded. Thats when you loose people and thats when things start to go awry and even potentially dangerous.

Generally we ride in groups because it is more fun and it protects us from being really stranded out in the boonies in a 100F scorcher. That already brings us to the most important rule when riding in a group:

-) When riding in a group we are all responsible for each other, but most importantly we are responsible for the rider *BEHIND* us. What? You say? How's that supposed to work? Quite simple really. If you get to an intersection the rider in the front needs to wait for the rider in the back to catch up, and he/she needs to be 100% certain the next rider knows which way to go. That way, even when the group is widely drawn out even if there are many riders spread over many miles they cannot loose each other. Just not possible. IF OTOH there are riders in the group who do not want to play by that rule, its better they ride alone, because it is those riders that loose their partners and it is those riders putting their group members at risk.

And thats already it. Just two simple rules:

-) YOU are responsible to ride the speed you are comfortable with and that you can your bike can handle
-) You are responsible for the rider behind you. (unless you are the sweeper)