Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2014, 07:44 AM   #1
The BeastMaster
AKA "Reese"

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
03 honda magna
08 honda 1000 cbr
97 Honda Magna(sold)
87 Honda TRX 250R 4wheeler(sold)
1985 Honda CR 125R (sold)

For those who HAVE BEEN to COTA - questionaire?

About the track itself. What was your favorite section?
Your least favorite?
The section with the highest puckerfactor?
What did you think of the straights?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
COTA Neon Samurai General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 03-07-2014 12:08 PM
BRAWP!BRAWP!BRAWP!..BRAWP BRAWP BRRRRAPPPPP....AT COTA!COTA!COTA!!!! Rykoson Taking it to the Track 14 08-01-2013 10:30 PM
COTA!!! COTA!!! COTA!!!! Rykoson Events, Meets and Rides 21 06-02-2013 11:48 PM
questionaire-understanding houston riders in order to design a new jacket. projectmenso General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 02-22-2011 04:29 PM
designing new motorcycle jacket. questionaire projectmenso General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 01-30-2011 11:30 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
exalted512
Slow^^^

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
Favorite sections is the esses.

Least favorite is probably turn 7. It's hard to figure out.

Biggest pucker factor for me is passing people on the brakes entering T12. Wide range of skill level, even in L3.

The straight between T11 and T12 is borderline boring. I do think it's cool to get to wring out my little 600 from 1st gear, all the way to 6th, then all the way back down to first. But a big high speed kink would've been better so I had some feeling of actually doing something.

The start/finish straight is fun because you're looking at this HUGE hill in front of you. You can get incredibly heavy on the brakes.
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
Tiller

Bike(s):
00 TL1000R
03 RC51
81 GS1100E
05 RM125
11 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post

Biggest pucker factor for me is passing people on the brakes entering T12. Wide range of skill level, even in L3.

The straight between T11 and T12 is borderline boring. I do think it's cool to get to wring out my little 600 from 1st gear, all the way to 6th, then all the way back down to first. But a big high speed kink would've been better so I had some feeling of actually doing something.

The start/finish straight is fun because you're looking at this HUGE hill in front of you. You can get incredibly late and heavy on the brakes.
Fify

Cody pretty much has it right. It's so technical though it isn't that much fun. I don't recall to many times I thought to myself, that was fun. It was more like, i just can't get it right. It is challenging.
Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:43 PM   #4
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

Quote:

The start/finish straight is fun because you're looking at this HUGE hill in front of you. You can get incredibly heavy on the brakes.

Good one! The best one so far.

I think the straits going up the hill was awesome! You could brake so late and had that hairpin left to a fast schicane!

Such a blast!
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:58 AM   #5
The BeastMaster
AKA "Reese"

Bike(s):
03 honda magna
08 honda 1000 cbr
97 Honda Magna(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykoson View Post
Good one! The best one so far.

I think the straits going up the hill was awesome! You could brake so late and had that hairpin left to a fast schicane!

Such a blast!
Actually it's the only one. And it sounds pretty good to. I've already had turns 2 thru 11 including the esses in my list of what I probably enjoy the most. And I was kind of thinking that the back straight will be borderline boring. A kink would have been a nice edition.
Not sure what I am going to think of the braking into 12(or 1)at first, but once I get settled in to a routine. I'll like it. And it will probably be a good time for some slower turns after that fast acceleration followed by hard deceleration . One might need the mental slowdown that they bring. Before catching that long triple apex right. And the last 2 they had to throw in just to get you back on the front straight. Where you are staring at the signature braking zone of turn 1. And it looks like the drop out of 1 could easily make you run in too hard to 2.

Quote:

What did you think of the 16 17 18 combination?

Here try these. They were put out by MGP right after the 1st GP.

If watching for fun (for the thrill of speeding on the couch) look low on the screen.

If your watching them to learn though, remember to watch the track as far ahead as possible(as if you were actually riding). Pay attention to the overhead signage. It seems to make good reference points. All of the vid's have a glitch or 2 in critical points of transition, but it doesn't get any better than these guys.

One for the Yammi fans out there.

One for the Honda fans.

And then there's that twin thumping Ducati.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:51 AM   #6
rz500guy

Bike(s):
Yamaha RZ 500
Suzuki 1200 BanditS
RD 350
1990 Yamaha FZR 400

Back straight is boring so, just cruise most of the time and then see how late you can brake. 7,8,9,10 are my favorite corners. The track is also long enough to where you do not need to be in traffic. Take your time going out and it will take a while to catch everyone. One thing is watch the astro turf if you go off track, incredibly slick. I did this once in turn 14. Have fun and be safe.
rz500guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #7
rz500guy

Bike(s):
Yamaha RZ 500
Suzuki 1200 BanditS
RD 350
1990 Yamaha FZR 400

By the way keep an eye on your tire pressure. Take it as soon as you get off track. Just one less thing to think about so you can enjoy the track. Just learn the flow early in the day and enjoy it in the afternoon.
rz500guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:24 AM   #8
The BeastMaster
AKA "Reese"

Bike(s):
03 honda magna
08 honda 1000 cbr
97 Honda Magna(sold)

Astroturf, WTF! That does sound slippery. They should have made it out of rubber not plastic. Then we'd have some grip.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:56 PM   #9
Tiller

Bike(s):
00 TL1000R
03 RC51
81 GS1100E
05 RM125
11 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BeastMaster View Post
Astroturf, WTF! That does sound slippery. They should have made it out of rubber not plastic. Then we'd have some grip.
It's not very wide though.
Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:09 PM   #10
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke