Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2014, 08:26 PM   #1
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

'12 Ninja 250r - sold
'13 CBR 500R

bike sitting with no gas

hey everyone
2 weeks ago i fell down with the bike, broke my hand.
my bike is still outside and i cant ride. i've noticed that the gas ran out.
is that ok to leave it without gas until i will be able to ride again?
Shaunpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bike just sitting... cwest22 General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 10-05-2010 08:29 AM
Sitting Gas Tank dudewhrsmybike How To's and Q & A's 8 08-20-2008 08:24 AM
Filling Up Your Gas Tank Sitting up or Down specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 03-05-2008 09:05 PM
bike is sitting jrock General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 03-15-2006 04:26 PM
Old 08-03-2014, 08:47 PM   #2

Experience: 1 year

2004 R6

How long will it be sitting? If for a long time try to get the tires off the ground or atleast move it a little bit every week so the tires don't get flat spots. (Fill to max psi)

I would add fuel stabilizer and some gas per the stabilizers directions.

Try to get some kind of a cover/tarp over it to prevent rust or under some kind of shelter
poranksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
Kilted Basterd
Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

If it's truly empty of gas, I'd be more worried about where it went. Otherwise, I'd rather store it without gas, than with untreated gas (or any gas containing ethanol).
Keeping the "F-U" in "fun"
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #4

Experience: 10+ years

^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^
NEVER let your engine get too cool. I've done this type of volunteer work for a long time and helped a LOT of guys keep their bikes in top shape. Like I said, it's volunteer so it won't cost you anything. I'll come by after work and pick it up. I'll drive it a few hours every day, RAIN OR SHINE, and I even have an online driving log on my website that you can check.
As your tires continue to age I'll exfoliate them, keep fresh rubber exposed. I'll keep the UV damage to nearly 0%.
I make sure the trottle cable turns freely all the way. I make sure your brakes can stop the wheel dead even at high speed. I'll pop some wheelies for ya and drop that front end good and hard a few times just to keep preasure packed in those fork seals. Gotta keep those good and tight.
Just let me know when you're able to ride again and I'll even top off the blinker fluid and grease the muffler bearings before I return it. I'll give it a partial wash and try to get the gum off the throttle grip. Funny how the wind can whip things around when you try to spit when yer running triple digits, huh?? lol

I'll make your bike feel good while you're incapacitated. When you start riding it again it will think your some kind of sissy or something. It'll be yelling at you, "Come ON. Lets GO ALREADY!!"

Not keeping it warm is the biggest mistake guys make when they put the bike up for a while.

I'm not a hater, I'm a lover. I love all bikes and I'll love yours as if it was mine. And I'm a volunteer. Can you believe I do all that and don't ask for anything in return? My pleasure doesn't come from money. It comes from keeping your bike warm and happy. If you DO want to give me any money, I swear it will all go into the tank and I'll return it bone dry so you know you got your money's worth.

See ya tonight buddy...... have your key off that big loopy thing with all the other on it.
Coolest Paint Jobs Ever
Track_Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:17 PM   #5

2008 zx-6r
2011 kx250f
2006 zx-6r (R.I.P.)
2004 RM 125 (sold)

I wouldn't store it without fuel for long extended periods of time. Fill her all the way up and get the tires off the ground if you can. An empty fuel tank could result in flash rust, and trust me, your engine won't take kindly to it.
40acres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:50 PM   #6
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

2008 Versys

fill with stabil treated gas and run it for a bit
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
02 Tona
Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

2002 Daytona

fill it up. Use some sort of stabilizer, and run it at least once a week. If its outside get a cover. Tires will probably be shot by the time you can ride again so I would just plan on getting new ones.
2002 Brittish Rocket
Japawhat02 is offline   Reply With Quote