MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
imurdanny

Feedback Rating: (1)

Regarding Impounded bike/ new ownership law

Okay, so i sold my bike a couple of years ago and sign the bill of sales/title over to the new owner. I guess he never transferred the title over to his name and now i just received a letter from a impound that it's sitting there. It's still legally mines since it's still under my name right? But these charges and fee's are adding up each day. It doesn't look like the owner is interested in getting the bike back so what should i do?
imurdanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
old meat impounded in china pester The Circus 4 06-27-2015 06:57 AM
Street Racing Exotics impounded. grsa Car Forum 9 09-07-2011 09:03 PM
Bike's Impounded, Need to borrow Ramp and Straps BaptizedByFire General Discussion (Moto Related) 35 03-17-2011 10:55 AM
What happens to impounded bikes???? stlal General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 04-22-2007 12:31 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2014, 01:59 PM   #2
imurdanny

Also, i have no way to get in touch with this guy..never had this kind of issue before. Can someone chime in and help me out?
Old 08-01-2014, 01:59 PM   #3
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I would go get it. He can pay the fees if he wants it back from you
bluewave18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
imurdanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
but the letter says i need proof of ownership. I don't have the title anymore. I can go get a duplicate title but what if he shows up with the originally title with my signature and the bill of sales?
Old 08-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #5
DanteLee
Sexy Dynamite

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
suzuki katana 96(sold)
honda cbr f4i 06 (sold)
ride my neighbors harley cuz he doesnt ride it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by imurdanny View Post
but the letter says i need proof of ownership. I don't have the title anymore. I can go get a duplicate title but what if he shows up with the originally title with my signature and the bill of sales?
Id roll the dice and do it. if its worth it Id do it but its totally up to you.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:15 PM   #6
brandontx

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Not your problem. Tell them you have no intention of picking up the bike. Do not tell them you sold it just say you aren't going to pick it up. After about 45 days they will sell the bike to cover storage fees. If any amount is left over they will be required to send you a check. If the amount does not cover it and they call you again wanting you to cover the difference then you tell them you sold the vehicle years ago and they will most likely leave you alone. You never once lied and a check may appear in your mailbox and you just play dumb and cash it. Or you can pick it up but there seems to be a bit more of a liability that way.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:15 PM   #7
CGarcia

Bike(s):
96 GSX600F
06 DRZ400sm

It's not legally yours if you signed and handed over the title. There should be an option somewhere on the letter you received, where you can state you no longer own the vehicle.
CGarcia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #8
imurdanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
Not your problem. Tell them you have no intention of picking up the bike. Do not tell them you sold it just say you aren't going to pick it up. After about 45 days they will sell the bike to cover storage fees. If any amount is left over they will be required to send you a check. If the amount does not cover it and they call you again wanting you to cover the difference then you tell them you sold the vehicle years ago and they will most likely leave you alone. You never once lied and a check may appear in your mailbox and you just play dumb and cash it. Or you can pick it up but there seems to be a bit more of a liability that way.
I've never heard of this before..is there a article where i can read more about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGarcia View Post
It's not legally yours if you signed and handed over the title. There should be an option somewhere on the letter you received, where you can state you no longer own the vehicle.
yea i was thinking the same. I just don't want to see the bike rot there :'[
Old 08-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #9
JP171

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636

or you can just take your happy up there and show your DL as you are the titled owner and pay the fees and if the asshat wants it back make him pay the fees and your time at a reasonable rate of about 82.50 per hour. it is still legally your vehicle, maybe not morally but legally because you can be sued for anything the asshat did while riding it

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:56 PM   #10
CGarcia

Bike(s):
96 GSX600F
06 DRZ400sm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP171 View Post
or you can just take your happy up there and show your DL as you are the titled owner and pay the fees and if the asshat wants it back make him pay the fees and your time at a reasonable rate of about 82.50 per hour. it is still legally your vehicle, maybe not morally but legally because you can be sued for anything the asshat did while riding it
If the seller signed the back of the title, then it is not legally his. And that is all the proof the buyer needs. The fact that the buyer hasn't done the title transfer doesn't mean the the seller gets the vehicle back on top of the money he collected.
CGarcia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:04 PM   #11
brandontx

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by imurdanny View Post
I've never heard of this before..is there a article where i can read more about this?

yea i was thinking the same. I just don't want to see the bike rot there :'[
Just google Texas storage lien.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:38 PM   #12
TrevorC

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
08 Kawasaki ZX10

Member Garage

I'd go pick it up
TrevorC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:47 PM   #13
Yillbs

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R ( SOLD )
2012 FZ6R
2016 R6

Member Garage

I'm suprised no one has asked what kind of bike it is. Please, do tell
Old 08-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #14
DLite
David

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'06 Triumph D675
'03 R6 (Track)
'07 HD Street Bob

I wouldn't touch that. If you want it back, buy it back at the auction.
DLite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #15
supadupa

Feedback Rating: (3)

Seen this one before......

Towing laws are F'd. Buyer cannot pick it up without a title in his name. He probably can't get the title now without possession of the bike.

Tow company wants nothing more than to get another free vehicle to auction off. They make WAY more off storage and auctions than off towing fees.

I'd go get it if it were me. Eff the tow yard. If the guy wants to pay you for your trouble great. If not, just as well. Good chance he's in jail now anyway.
supadupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:18 PM   #16
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
Sounds like a good, solid plan. Exactly what I would do.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:26 PM   #17
TrevorC

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
08 Kawasaki ZX10

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by supadupa View Post
Seen this one before......

Towing laws are F'd. Buyer cannot pick it up without a title in his name. He probably can't get the title now without possession of the bike.

Tow company wants nothing more than to get another free vehicle to auction off. They make WAY more off storage and auctions than off towing fees.

I'd go get it if it were me. Eff the tow yard. If the guy wants to pay you for your trouble great. If not, just as well. Good chance he's in jail now anyway.
this is why I'd go pick it up. I've worked for multiple towing companies and I know how they operate.

for them to accept a "bill of sale" both parties would need to be there, the guy would need to have the funds to pick the bike up on top of that. if the title is in your name, you can pick it up with your ID...no need for the title in hand. They will run it through the DMV and it will be impounded under your name anyway most likely.

Chances are he's not getting it back, make sure to look at the bike before you pay to get it back as well...it may be totaled and they will swindle your to make a buck.

Tow company: "Sure, bikes fine"
You: Ok, hands cash over. Goes to look at bike....WTF? TOTALED!!
Tow company: Not my problem anymore, haul it out of here.

After you pay and sign, there is nothing you can do.

Last edited by TrevorC; 08-03-2014 at 07:31 PM.
TrevorC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:13 AM   #18
QuickMick
League City

Bike(s):
XR650L SUMO
Zuma big bore hittin 62mph
Square Nose SJ
B1
B2

Go get the bike. I bet the towing company wont let you see it untill they have money from you. I had a friend that had his bike towed many times because he was a dumbass. one time he had a plate from my scooter on his FZR and he got caught racing. I had to go pick the bike up for him. All required was my drivers licence. They would not let us look at the bike untill we paid.
QuickMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:35 AM   #19
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

go get a new title and get the bike. If the other guy wants the bike he can pay you for the fees.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:21 AM   #20
cbrfxr67

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
77 kz1000 project
sold everything else,...

I'd go get it,....
cbrfxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement