MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
tankmonkey

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
sv650s (race)
ninja 250r (race)
crf450x motard (rip)

CMRA TWS (Texas World Speedway) July 2014 Sprint Videos

SSE:

F4:

CMRA #398
tankmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CMRA MSRH September 2014 LW videos tankmonkey Taking it to the Track 1 09-21-2014 02:15 PM
CMRA TWS (Texas World Speedway) March 2014 Sprint Videos tankmonkey Taking it to the Track 17 04-01-2014 01:46 PM
C Watch your CMRA friends race at TWS (Texas World Speedway) July 27/28 Slyder Events, Meets and Rides 20 07-25-2013 07:43 PM
CMRA TWS (Texas World Speedway) Novice Videos LeeA Taking it to the Track 23 11-29-2012 11:48 AM
CMRA BIG BIKE SPRINT RACES @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) 10/23/11 Scorpio Events, Meets and Rides 2 10-23-2011 12:20 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-27-2014, 06:00 PM   #2
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

I watched the sse race. Pretty cool video. I think it was the 2nd lap where you went wide into t1 trying to pass that dude I really think you have drafted him and then slingshoted around him making the pass much easier and would have made it happen.

Sucks that prov nov was getting lapped, went off the line causing the other rider to crash. But still looks like you got to have some fun
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:15 PM   #3
tankmonkey

Bike(s):
sv650s (race)
ninja 250r (race)
crf450x motard (rip)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6racer View Post
Sucks that prov nov was getting lapped, went off the line causing the other rider to crash. But still looks like you got to have some fun
yeah, the prov nov spooked and stood the bike up when jred went under him into the chicane. I didn't think it was a big deal, and that *is* why they make you wear a yellow shirt for your first few races.

I'm not sure why the other guy ran wide like that, though. my guess is that he must have gotten caught up in the heat of battle chasing jred and target fixated on the prov nov suddenly in front of him running wide.

he was definitely giving me all I could handle with trying to get around him, though. it sure was fun up until he crashed.
CMRA #398
Old 07-27-2014, 10:02 PM   #4
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankmonkey View Post
yeah, the prov nov spooked and stood the bike up when jred went under him into the chicane. I didn't think it was a big deal, and that *is* why they make you wear a yellow shirt for your first few races.

I'm not sure why the other guy ran wide like that, though. my guess is that he must have gotten caught up in the heat of battle chasing jred and target fixated on the prov nov suddenly in front of him running wide.

he was definitely giving me all I could handle with trying to get around him, though. it sure was fun up until he crashed.
I think he was trying to go around him or dodge him to keep up with whoever was in front of him. hopefully you guys didnt scare the prov nov guy off and he will be back after he gets more track time and becomes more comfortable with passing. ive seen a lot of riders getting rushed into racing or wanting to hurry to get into racing but then getting spooked with close passing and then standing it up, and crashing.

what did you end up placing? I guess jredford placed right in front of you correct?
Old 07-27-2014, 10:23 PM   #5
tankmonkey

Bike(s):
sv650s (race)
ninja 250r (race)
crf450x motard (rip)

Quote:
I think he was trying to go around him or dodge him to keep up with whoever was in front of him. hopefully you guys didnt scare the prov nov guy off and he will be back after he gets more track time and becomes more comfortable with passing. ive seen a lot of riders getting rushed into racing or wanting to hurry to get into racing but then getting spooked with close passing and then standing it up, and crashing.

what did you end up placing? I guess jredford placed right in front of you correct?
I'm pretty sure the prov nov kept it up after being hit and made it out again for the F4 race a couple of races later.

yep. I finished 11th in both races. redford was in 10th in sse and ran out of fuel and finished 21st in f4. (after banging off a 2:12 lap, though! )
CMRA #398
Old 07-27-2014, 10:24 PM   #6
x-ray
CMRA #228

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Super Adventure
2007 SV650S (My track toy)
07 CRF230F
2006 VFR800a (sold - covered a lot of miles)
04 Honda 599 (sold)

I have really enjoyed watching tankmonkey steadily gain skill, confidence, and speed over the past year or so. Now just borrow a pinch of recklessness from jred (just kidding John) and you would have been battling HIM more instead of the other guy.

Quote:
This isn't criticizing this prov nov specifically, but just in general as I've instructed more and more and participated in mock races with all kinds of candidates I've see quite a few that afterwards I think, "Yes you met the requirements and didn't crash in the mock race, but I'm not sure you're ready for an actual race". I think you need to be riding in the Advanced sessions first and kind of cringe when a slow intermediate rider is in a mock race. You don't know close passing until you've FELT the guy beside you or actually touched at 90 mph and didn't flinch.

Quote:
I'm not sure he really had anywhere to go. The yellow shirt's line looked off even before jred passed him and then just carried him into the path of the other 250 what was on the correct line. He didn't really seem to react TOO much to the pass but already had bad line and had to stand up to miss the curbing on the right. But depth is hard to tell from a wide-angle gopro shot...
07 Suzuki SV650s - CMRA #228
x-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:34 PM   #7
x-ray
CMRA #228

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Super Adventure
07 CRF230F
04 Honda 599 (sold)

Quote:
ive seen a lot of riders getting rushed into racing or wanting to hurry to get into racing but then getting spooked with close passing and then standing it up, and crashing.
Exactly.

A couple of months back we had a mock race and were making sort of close but careful passes like 3+ feet away (you don't want to be the instructor that causes a prov nov to crash) and then backing off and "losing" the spot to force him to pass us back. He told us afterwards, "man that was some CLOSE passes you guys were doing". I remember thinking, "Oh, you don't even know..." lol
Old 07-27-2014, 10:59 PM   #8
r6racer
track

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha WGP R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
Exactly.

A couple of months back we had a mock race and were making sort of close but careful passes like 3+ feet away (you don't want to be the instructor that causes a prov nov to crash) and then backing off and "losing" the spot to force him to pass us back. He told us afterwards, "man that was some CLOSE passes you guys were doing". I remember thinking, "Oh, you don't even know..." lol
thats funny. ive even heard a couple riders new to level 3 say "he passed me like he was in some kind of hurry"
Old 07-27-2014, 11:11 PM   #9
x-ray
CMRA #228

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Super Adventure
07 CRF230F
04 Honda 599 (sold)

Quote:
thats funny. ive even heard a couple riders new to level 3 say "he passed me like he was in some kind of hurry"
That's the biggest thing I remember from my first day in advanced/lvl-3. It is "go go go" the whole session. There's none of this tooling around behind somebody waiting for a place to pass per the rules. It's pass or be passed. Sometimes both!
Old 07-27-2014, 11:15 PM   #10
tankmonkey

Bike(s):
sv650s (race)
ninja 250r (race)
crf450x motard (rip)

Quote:
I'm not sure he really had anywhere to go. The yellow shirt's line looked off even before jred passed him and then just carried him into the path of the other 250 what was on the correct line. He didn't really seem to react TOO much to the pass but already had bad line and had to stand up to miss the curbing on the right. But depth is hard to tell from a wide-angle gopro shot...
rewatching the video, I do think you have a point. the prov nov seemed to be apexing it pretty early.

I dunno - I just try to aim the bike where the other guys aren't in that situation...
CMRA #398
Old 07-27-2014, 11:21 PM   #11
tankmonkey

Bike(s):
sv650s (race)
ninja 250r (race)
crf450x motard (rip)

Quote:
You don't know close passing until you've FELT the guy beside you or actually touched at 90 mph and didn't flinch.
mitchell (the guy that crashed in the video) almost punted me off the track at tombstone last round at cresson. I won't say I didn't flinch, but I was very glad *he* didn't panic much either. we were kind of locked together almost until boot hill, but both stayed in it, turning until we could get some separation. we both came out of it upright and on the track.

the last time someone got that close to me on-track I ended up flying over the handlebars and getting run over by my own bike... (in the keyhole at msrh )
CMRA #398
Old 07-27-2014, 11:44 PM   #12
x-ray
CMRA #228

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Super Adventure
07 CRF230F
04 Honda 599 (sold)

Quote:
we were kind of locked together almost until boot hill, but both stayed in it, turning until we could get some separation. we both came out of it upright and on the track.
I remember that. You told me about it right after I mentioned brushing arms with somebody that same day. Your story won.

Quote:
the last time someone got that close to me on-track I ended up flying over the handlebars and getting run over by my own bike... (in the keyhole at msrh )
And I think I remember seeing video of that one.

Advertisement