MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Introduction Forum
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #1
bonobox

Feedback Rating: (0)

Presentation and few questions

Good evening all!

i was searching the web for some information while i found this website and i thought i would be the most appropriate to join.

I'm 38 years old and i love motorbike in all the forms (commuting, touring, offroad, track etc).
Although my parents were against i've managed at 18years old to get my first 125cc and since that day all my life was accompanied by a motorbilke...good and bad moments (1 big crash but i'm still here!!)

I will move in the next months to Houston for work therefore i was searching for info when i discovered that in US and especially in TX filtering/lane splitting is illegal and, even worst, is hated by the people.

i lived in Italy, in UK and in UAE and i've traveled a many countries and everywhere was allowed and now i'm quite scared and skeptic about motorbiking in US.

Can you please give me more details about? some articles, codes, law to read in order to understand?

Thank you in advance
bonobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Following Presentation Is Controversial And May Be Offensive To Some Audiences! Snoogyns848 The Circus 1 07-20-2011 09:39 AM
persuasive presentation carlos flores General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 12-09-2010 05:39 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-27-2014, 03:47 PM   #2
bryan954
blank

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
DRZ400SM
KTM 1290 Duke
crf 50

Welcome. I don't know what more there is for you to read, it's not legal and cagers get . That said, I've been filtering for over a decade in Houston and I've never had any trouble, but YMMV.
bryan954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:36 PM   #3
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan954 View Post
Welcome. I don't know what more there is for you to read, it's not legal and cagers get . That said, I've been filtering for over a decade in Houston and I've never had any trouble, but YMMV.
+1 but not as long as him. I filter when needed and safely.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:13 PM   #4
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Not filtering won't kill you. It's not the end all
Old 07-28-2014, 04:42 AM   #5
bonobox

Thank you all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
Not filtering won't kill you. It's not the end all
definitely won't kill me and probably filtering will kill me (or the other car's occupants ) but i honestly don't understand why they should be so upset.

First step i will get a car and then i will decide if it's a good idea or not to buy a motorbike. i will miss it a lot but i'm quite sure i will have troubles with police and drivers.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:18 AM   #6
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

One reason is that people here in Texas aren't used to it. It scares people when you slip through the middle. Others just get mad because they are . Lol
Old 07-28-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
One reason is that people here in Texas aren't used to it. It scares people when you slip through the middle. Others just get mad because they are . Lol
I used to get really upset about it because it startled me but that was generally on the freeway when some guy blows past me in my lane going 30mph faster than me, so close to my car that I could high-fived him through my passenger window. I have filtered up to lights a couple times and people immediately become irritated and I feel like it would only be a matter of time before some psychopath attempted to run me off the road.

Lane splitting is illegal, but... If you're lane splitting through traffic, are the police really going to be able to catch up to you? I'm not advocating running from the cops obviously, but would they even try? I don't know.
Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:01 AM   #8
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Sure they can, they just roll up on the emergency lane

Will they? Guess depends on their mood.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:29 AM   #9
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
Lane splitting is illegal, but... If you're lane splitting through traffic, are the police really going to be able to catch up to you? I'm not advocating running from the cops obviously, but would they even try? I don't know.
They could I suppose. Never had one try. Honestly, I rarely ever see a cop sitting in mainlane traffic anyhow. And 290 currently doesn't have shoulders due to construction. I don't ride in this current heat often, but when I do I most certainly filter/split traffic. If I had a cop try and actually pull me over I'd likely stop and just pay the fine...I'd almost bet they wouldn't do about it though.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:50 AM   #10
Jaynvius1

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R
06 Honda CBR 600 RR

Member Garage

Welcome.
Jaynvius1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:12 AM   #11
bonobox

thank you for all your message and sorry for the delay....crazy week at work.

really this subject looks to me incredible...i would not ever thought that line splitting/filtering could be illegal....
it's so common and so useful in the rest of the world that is anachronistic to imagine that there are place were this is forbidden.

Let's see but definitely my mood changed a lot after this news
Old 08-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #12
Falcon
Getcha Pull

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
06 R6 (Track)
KTM 450 sx-f (street)

You have to take the risk with reward. 1: yes a LEO can site you for splitting but most don't bother as long as your courteous, but that's not always the case. 2: as stated before since it is not legal no one is expecting it or all to happy by you doing it. So it's your responsibility to make your self safe and the cars around you. I.E. I don't split around areas I know traffic will be merging or a lot of cars try and move over multiple lanes as I know they won't be looking for me and making quick movements to fit in gaps or traffic. I also try and split only when the cars are completely stopped and fall back in line when traffic starts moving.

I assume responsibility for any accidents that may occurs even if it's not my fault as I'm braking the law. My main reason for splitting is my bike does not have a adequate cooling system for city use so if I don't stay on the move it will over heat. It still gets too hot when I am splitting some days. On a different bike capable of the heat I would sit in traffic.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #13
bonobox

honestly i'm concerned of other drivers than police and fines/tickets.
i don't want to have any troubles and accidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
On a different bike capable of the heat I would sit in traffic.
but what is the point to have a motorbike if i have to stay in queue like a car?!? under the rain, under the sun...inconceivable for me
Old 08-01-2014, 01:25 PM   #14
Trimmed Jennis

welcome
Trimmed Jennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #15
Falcon
Getcha Pull

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
06 R6 (Track)
KTM 450 sx-f (street)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonobox View Post
honestly i'm concerned of other drivers than police and fines/tickets.
i don't want to have any troubles and accidents.

but what is the point to have a motorbike if i have to stay in queue like a car?!? under the rain, under the sun...inconceivable for me
I agree to some extent. But reality is in the State of Texas it is still Illegal. So if some D-bag decided as he saw you in his mirror to pull out in your way and y'all collided there is a good chance you will be at fault. Or if a LEO decides to site you for splitting I would rather spend the money on my track bike rather than a fine.

Even if I sit in traffic sweating my off the conceivable part for me is I'm still blessed to have the opportunity and ability to ride my bike in the heat and sit in traffic while some are no longer able to ride or no longer with us to ride. So I would rather spend a day sweating in my gear than miss the opportunity to ride the machine I love most that I may not get to ride tomorrow.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:58 PM   #16
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Feedback Rating: (2)

We have a saying here in America... "F*ck the police!"
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement