MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
quicksaveme
Senior Member
 
quicksaveme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,641

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS









Thoughts on S1000R vs. RSV4 Factory

I'm going to be in the market for a new bike. I'm selling a ducati and was leaning towards the '14 BMW S1000RR. I have a friend with a '13 and he loves it, but I've been reading around that a lot of the S1000RR's are having issues.

I don't know much about Aprilias so I wanted some opinions. How good are the ABS and TCS from Aprilia supposed to be?

There is one in stock at two different dealers.

BMW - $16,840
Aprilia - $19,998

Your thoughts?
quicksaveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone use the s1000r? staysa01 General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 08-10-2014 03:22 PM
Stolen 2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory BoRyder Stolen Bike Reports 31 04-11-2014 06:27 PM
Thoughts on Aprilia RSV 1000r Factory alexb0i General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 01-21-2010 10:00 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
Ek
Senior Member
 
Ek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 1,173

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
SV 650
KTM 125sx
Harley Street Bob
Husky 610 Tard
Vino 125






For pure curb appeal I say go with the Aprilia. The V4 with a slip on is the best sounding of the two. I know it has lower horsepower but the way it uses the power makes it a pleasure to ride. It is Italian so it will also have some problems down the road. Just my 2 cents.
Ek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
quicksaveme
Senior Member
 
quicksaveme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,641

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS









thanks for your input. I know from what I've heard the bmw is pretty comfortable for street riding. I don't know anything about the aprilia so I wanted to know if it was as bad as some ducs and other super sports.
quicksaveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
Truckin_Thumper
Senior Member
 
Truckin_Thumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dallas
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,054

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together








The Ape is a step up from the Duc, and its NOT a BMW.

WIN!
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #5
quicksaveme
Senior Member
 
quicksaveme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,641

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS









LOL, I see your opinion! I'm wondering how the TCS compares in the two. Also, the bike would be 90% street so i'm really interested in the riding feel of both.
quicksaveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
The Habernatho
Senior Member
 
The Habernatho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 513

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2012 Street Triple R









I had a 2011 S1000RR and I just sold a 2014 Tuono V4R ABS. The guy who bought my bike test rode a 13' Tuono that didn't have the revised engine mapping. He hated the bike. He test rode the 14' and bought my bike. I'm pretty sure though, the 13' RSV4 has the updated engine mapping.
The TC and ABS are the same on the Tuono and RSV4. Plain and simple, it is the most user friendly and most technologically advanced system available. Also, all the while it's the least intrusive. The ABS on the other hand is not the greatest. It has 3 settings or can be turned off. On level 3 it increases stopping distance over a non ABS bike. On level 1 I was getting the front tire to skid. Bottom line, I didn't have confidence in the ABS as being a distinct advantage. The V4 has a ton of character and is a fun bike to ride. That being said, the S1000RR has a top end rush that the RSV4 cannot match. I was underwhelmed with my S1000RR, compare graphs of the power against a stock 2008 CBR 1000RR. Not until 11,000 rpm does the BMW start to make ridiculous power. Also, engine vibration is going to be worse on the S1000RR. People spend $150 on bar ends to try to eliminate the vibes. The warranty on the BMW is better as well as the dealer network. AF1 for the Aprilia is the best dealer in the country and is conveniently located in Austin and New Braunfels. That being said, the Aprilia is not noted for being an extremely reliable engine. I've seen threads where people have had their bike at the dealer literally for a year waiting on a replacement engine.
First, I would attempt to test ride both bikes and go from there. If it's going to be your only bike, I'd say BMW. If you have a spare bike I'd go Aprilia. Also, the tank on the Aprilia is plastic, and will warp or be susceptible to tank spread by running typically found gas. Unless you have the tank Caswell coated or have access to ethanol free gas, be aware. Aprilia will replace the tank with an identical one that will suffer from the same problem while the bike is under warranty. I know it seems like a lot of bad for the Aprilia, but as soon as you ride the bike you seem to forget all the negatives. For me, the BMW just lacks any real distinct character. It's your typical run of the mill inline four, but lacks a counterbalancer. I think though, the HP4 would be a better comparison since you're looking at the Factory.
__________________
The things you own end up owning you.
The Habernatho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:21 PM   #7
ZX-Dominance
Senior Member
 
ZX-Dominance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: BCS
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,364

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2008 Speed Triple White Knight (sold)
2008 CBR1000RR "Red Rocket"
2005 SV1000S (sold)






Never ridden a base model s1000rr, the HP4 was a complete PITA on the street though, and the V4 is the most fun Ive ever had on a bike.
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:33 PM   #8
quicksaveme
Senior Member
 
quicksaveme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,641

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS









Quote:
Originally Posted by The Habernatho View Post
I had a 2011 S1000RR and I just sold a 2014 Tuono V4R ABS. The guy who bought my bike test rode a 13' Tuono that didn't have the revised engine mapping. He hated the bike. He test rode the 14' and bought my bike. I'm pretty sure though, the 13' RSV4 has the updated engine mapping.
The TC and ABS are the same on the Tuono and RSV4. Plain and simple, it is the most user friendly and most technologically advanced system available. Also, all the while it's the least intrusive. The ABS on the other hand is not the greatest. It has 3 settings or can be turned off. On level 3 it increases stopping distance over a non ABS bike. On level 1 I was getting the front tire to skid. Bottom line, I didn't have confidence in the ABS as being a distinct advantage. The V4 has a ton of character and is a fun bike to ride. That being said, the S1000RR has a top end rush that the RSV4 cannot match. I was underwhelmed with my S1000RR, compare graphs of the power against a stock 2008 CBR 1000RR. Not until 11,000 rpm does the BMW start to make ridiculous power. Also, engine vibration is going to be worse on the S1000RR. People spend $150 on bar ends to try to eliminate the vibes. The warranty on the BMW is better as well as the dealer network. AF1 for the Aprilia is the best dealer in the country and is conveniently located in Austin and New Braunfels. That being said, the Aprilia is not noted for being an extremely reliable engine. I've seen threads where people have had their bike at the dealer literally for a year waiting on a replacement engine.
First, I would attempt to test ride both bikes and go from there. If it's going to be your only bike, I'd say BMW. If you have a spare bike I'd go Aprilia. Also, the tank on the Aprilia is plastic, and will warp or be susceptible to tank spread by running typically found gas. Unless you have the tank Caswell coated or have access to ethanol free gas, be aware. Aprilia will replace the tank with an identical one that will suffer from the same problem while the bike is under warranty. I know it seems like a lot of bad for the Aprilia, but as soon as you ride the bike you seem to forget all the negatives. For me, the BMW just lacks any real distinct character. It's your typical run of the mill inline four, but lacks a counterbalancer. I think though, the HP4 would be a better comparison since you're looking at the Factory.
Yes the HP4 would be an ideal comparison but I don't want to order I want to buy from stock. I really appreciate your reply though, exactly what kind of info I was looking for. I may rethink the HP4 if only from a cost standpoint. Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Dominance View Post
Never ridden a base model s1000rr, the HP4 was a complete PITA on the street though, and the V4 is the most fun Ive ever had on a bike.
Can you elaborate?
quicksaveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:39 AM   #9
nilnwahs
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Woodlands
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 94


Bike(s):
HP4
Speed Triple R








Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Dominance View Post
Never ridden a base model s1000rr, the HP4 was a complete PITA on the street though, and the V4 is the most fun Ive ever had on a bike.
Please do tell more. I just put down a down payment on a HP4, and RSV Fac was also a strong consideration while shopping.
__________________
Parking corners since 1998
nilnwahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:04 AM   #10
ZXALAN
UR NXT
 
ZXALAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: League City Tx
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 4,254

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR








I have 4500 miles on my 2013 S1000rr, no issues other then a seaping fork seal that started right after the 600 mile service. Gonna have it fixed at the 6k mile service.

They are notorious for engine start/stop switch failure as well as the left side control switch failure...atleast on the 11-12s anyway..

I've had no issues on anything else with mine and I thrash it pretty hard.. I top it out once or twice every ride..

As for the TC/ABS, I run it in slick mode which basically disables the traction control. ABS works great tho. Midrange power is a little soft up until 7k, from 7-9k it feels about like my 01' GSXR1000.. After 9k, it rips..

That being said, I think the ZX10R is better bang for the buck, better traction control system for sure, and almost the same power..

But from a "European" stand point, I think the BMW is pretty killer... Most others do too, which is why it wins liter bike of the year every year...
__________________

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:03 AM   #11
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion
 
Neon Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kings Landing
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,221

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)






Both good bikes. I've only owned the naked versions of both. Traded by Tuono for a s1000r and havent looked back. If it was my only bike, BMW...2nd bike...maybe Aprilia.
__________________
ASSASSINO
Neon Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:19 AM   #12
ArkansasDave
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Beaumont
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,978

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc







The price you mentioned is an aprilia rsv4 factory, the normal R version is in the 14-15k range. Still has the same electronics just doesn't have ohlins. I would think you would have to compare the hp4 to a rsv4 factory. Either one you can't go wrong so buy the one that gives you the biggest grin.
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:08 PM   #13
quicksaveme
Senior Member
 
quicksaveme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,641

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS









I think I've made up my mind. I'm going to go with the RSV4 Factory. I'm getting a better deal and the looks and sound of it just makes it an easier choice. Thanks for all your advices
quicksaveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #14
ArkansasDave
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Beaumont
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,978

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc







I'm jealous for sure.
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:06 PM   #15
CombatM0NKEY
Call me TOOTs..
 
CombatM0NKEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,481

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
1995 Honda Shadow 600VLX

Honda Xr50


Member Garage





Send a message via AIM to CombatM0NKEY Send a message via MSN to CombatM0NKEY Send a message via Yahoo to CombatM0NKEY
The proper comparison would be RSV4 - factory vs HP4. the S1000R would be compared to the RSV4 APRC. which is roughly 15-16K.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoPee View Post
you need to tell trey, "stop asking asian riders for BP dummies"...
CombatM0NKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:52 AM   #16
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion
 
Neon Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kings Landing
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,221

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)






Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasDave View Post
The price you mentioned is an aprilia rsv4 factory, the normal R version is in the 14-15k range. Still has the same electronics just doesn't have ohlins. I would think you would have to compare the hp4 to a rsv4 factory. Either one you can't go wrong so buy the one that gives you the biggest grin.
Forged wheels and adjustable head stock too.
__________________
ASSASSINO
Neon Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:08 AM   #17
quicksaveme
Senior Member
 
quicksaveme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,641

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS









Yeah, the reason I wasn't comparing it to the HP4 is because I was looking at two bikes that are in stock right now.
quicksaveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:44 AM   #18
The Habernatho
Senior Member
 
The Habernatho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 513

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2012 Street Triple R









You pick up the Aprilia yet?
__________________
The things you own end up owning you.
The Habernatho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #19
quicksaveme
Senior Member
 
quicksaveme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,641

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS









Yes I sure did! Here is a pic

22e3w1
quicksaveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:26 AM   #20
quicksaveme
Senior Member
 
quicksaveme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,641

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS









I put a graves fender elim. on it so the huge fender isn't there anymore. Looks way better.
quicksaveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy