MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2014, 08:26 AM   #81
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

It burns the easiest
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is 93 Octane better to use? MotoMonkey General Discussion (Moto Related) 70 04-19-2012 08:14 AM
USING OCTANE BOOT GXRPrincess General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 02-01-2010 06:52 PM
A little talk about OCTANE bumblebee How To's and Q & A's 37 10-21-2009 04:19 PM
What are the Octane Requirements..... TxBritt08R1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 07-03-2007 08:13 AM
What octane fuel do you use?? loewer600 How To's and Q & A's 54 12-21-2006 05:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2014, 09:31 AM   #82
TXdemRider
Banned

User is banned

TXdemRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:45 AM   #83
Track_Graphics

You don't need to see them. There's a written confession right here. Let's put these dirty bastgages behind bars where they belong!!!!
Old 08-01-2014, 12:24 PM   #84
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track_Graphics View Post
I agree - So give some suggestions. I've bought Alero and got better results than Shell. I've bought Shell at one place and it sucked, another and it was GR8!! It also seems like I can buy from the same station/same pump and get significantly different results. I stopped in this dirty little single pump joint on HWY6 once when my fuel light came on and paid $3.09 for 87. - it ran and ran and ran. I made over 180 miles on that tank!!
Basically, like bluewave said, you'll get the most power out of the lowest octane fuel that's safe in your engine (have to prevent pre-detonation, or "knock"). A lot of sport bikes (and other factory high-performance engines) will specify using 91+ octane due to some combination of higher compression and more advanced timing curves than a standard-performance engine. Use the fuel your engine was optimized for. If you've had it dyno tuned to run on 93, chances are that your ignition timing has been advanced far enough that you'd have issues with 89 or 87. If you're on a stock tune, I believe that they tune them conservatively enough that you could easily run 89 without too many issues, though you might see reduced performance from timing if your bike has a knock sensor that it uses to adjust timing. Please do NOT run race fuel unless you are setup and tuned for it. I don't know if it would cause damage, but you're just throwing tons of money away.

Last edited by Jae; 08-01-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:02 PM   #85
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Some race fuels can harm o2 sensors. The oxy fuels can quickly gum and or corrode the pump. If you don't have to have it, don't use it.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:30 PM   #86
Jaynvius1

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R
06 Honda CBR 600 RR

Member Garage

You can't work around filling some of the previous driver/rider's gas at the pump. As long as you fill up your tank to full you should be okay.
Jaynvius1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement