MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #1
Trish

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 CBR600rr
2006 DRZ400SM

Intermitent Electrical (?) Problem DRZ 400SM

For those that don't know, I bought a 2006 DRZ 400SM with the fcr carb and other goodies. I love it... But now I'm having issues with it :(

I was riding with my friend in the Poconos the other day when I started having issues with my bike. I'll give as many details as possible, because I'm not completely sure what the problem is here, so bear with me.

The day started off-road along the Delaware on some not so rough trails. Nevertheless, things got bumped around, but the bike was fine for an hour or so after this adventure. We took to the smooth streets, and stopped to get a bag of rice to put the phone I dropped in the river in (Yes, that's how much my day sucked). When I turned my bike back on, it took a few cranks to start unlike the usual one click and on. I didn't think much of it, but I did notice it.

We started riding away and I noticed my speedo wouldn't read correctly. It was randomly saying 1mph, 3mph and then finally it zeroed out and that's where it stayed. All of the cluster lights were working fine, and the digital read out was working, however it would not read any speeds. I kept riding figuring I would get to it later.

Fast forward 15 minutes, we were cruising through some awesome roads when I hit the rev limiter in 4th. My bad... I don't know the bike that well, and I'm used to my CBR. It's not like I sat at the rev limiter or anything, I switched gears right away. (and I don't think this is related but I'm giving all details here)

A quarter mile down the road, the bike just stops responding to my throttle. It doesn't stall out until I get down to lower speeds. I tried to start it while rolling to no avail. So while my friend goes to get his truck, I keep trying to start it, it cranks freely and fast, but doesn't start. I even switched the fuel over to reserve just to see if somehow that would make a difference (I'm new to this whole reserve gas and no gas gauge thing). Obviously that does nothing. So, I get ready to push it back to a parking lot and some dude stops to help me. He was a super nice guy who used to road race sportbikes He pushed it back for me and then he started looking at the bike. He put it in neutral, and it started right up for him... WTF??? So I rode it around the parking lot and it was responding to my throttle.

When my friend gets back with the truck, he says he will follow me for a little because he didn't trust it, and sure enough down the road a mile it dies again. Same symptoms, stops responding to throttle, and then dies. This time, it wouldn't restart at all, and we brought it back home on the truck.

When I got home it still wouldn't start. My brother starts looking at it for me and it wouldn't start for him either. So he takes the fuel line off, puts it back on, looks it over briefly, tries to start it and it fires right up. He goes for a ride on it, it dies on him, he sits and tries starting it for a while it eventually starts and he comes back home (of course complaining about how slow it is). And now it sits in the garage waiting for someone to have time to fix it.

TL;DR:

- Speedo reading a constant 0mph
- randomly not responding to throttle and stalling out
- randomly deciding to start, only to die 1 mile or less down the road
- will randomly start again eventually
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
electrical problem cypresstito General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 05-27-2012 12:59 PM
Commuting/Funbike DRZ-400SM or WR250X BYRDMAN General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 11-30-2010 09:33 AM
electrical problem 1badzx12r How To's and Q & A's 3 04-06-2009 11:31 AM
Electrical Problem? AKA How To's and Q & A's 6 09-26-2006 01:57 PM
Electrical problem TRD23 General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 12-18-2005 05:50 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

have you tried checking to see what the battery voltage is? this sounds like 2 seperate problems to me by the way you explained it....

But if the battery voltage is low then is could explain why your speedo isnt working and causing ECU problems of it shutting off....but it doesnt make any sense how your bike would still turn the starter though....

-Check battery voltage first
-how many miles on it?

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #3
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

Sounds like you ran it out of gas, when you run out of gas and have to go to reserve most of the time you have to put the choke on to get it to start again. Fill it up and see what happens. As far as the speedo, check the cables to the front wheel, and like mentioned above put a multimeter at the battery, reg/rect. and dash input to see what its reading.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:05 PM   #4
DLite
David

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'06 Triumph D675
'03 R6 (Track)
'07 HD Street Bob

Was it brown or white rice?
DLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 07-02-2014, 12:24 PM   #5
Trish

Bike(s):
2008 CBR600rr
2006 DRZ400SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post

-Check battery voltage first
-how many miles on it?
I'll check the battery voltage, but I honestly don't think it's the problem. When it does randomly start, it starts right up.

The bike has 4500 miles on it.

As for the gas, it has plenty of gas in it. When I take the gas cap off, I can see the fuel level clearly.

The rice was white, and it worked enough to get the phone back working for the most part. I'm actually at the Apple store now, wasting time on the interwebs while they give me a new phone.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #6
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Don't know if there's a kickstand interlock switch, but you might check it as well. Gas sounds like the most likely culprit from what you describe (dying and not wanting to restart) but I've seen some no-start issues similar to yours caused by a faulty switch as well.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:55 PM   #7
signpimp

Bike(s):
2002 klx110

Send a message via MSN to signpimp
Loose ground? loose spark plug wire or coil wire...do you have a clutch safe wire or kickstand ground wire that could have come loose?

Where is the speedo pickup? on the crank or at the front wheel? If it is at the crank, could it have a short that is causing the engine to cut out?

These are things I would look at.
signpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Dang, just saw your last reply. Assuming there is one, have you checked the fuel filter?
Old 07-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #9
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

vacuum petcock?
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:18 PM   #10
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Don't put the rice, white or brown, in the tank. It may help your phone, but not your bike.

! You summer up north?
Old 07-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #11
kingworm
last seen being stupid

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
92 vulcan vn 750
1981 cb 400

my bike loses guages if i blow a fuse but the bike still runs fine did you check the fuses?
Old 07-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #12
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
Don't know if there's a kickstand interlock switch, but you might check it as well. Gas sounds like the most likely culprit from what you describe (dying and not wanting to restart) but I've seen some no-start issues similar to yours caused by a faulty switch as well.
there is a kickstand switch and if I remember correctly there are several people that disable it due to issues.. search supermotojunkie

the speedo is cable driven, check to make sure it didnt come unscrewed from behind the speedo or at the front wheel
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
rob78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #13
Trish

Bike(s):
2008 CBR600rr
2006 DRZ400SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas View Post
vacuum petcock?
If you vacuum your pet , you probably shouldn't share that info on the internet.

I'm not sure what you are asking. It does have a vacuum petcock but there doesn't seem to be an issue with it.

That was the first thing my brother checked (he builds race quads and races AMA for what it's worth.) I'm really trying to get some info and maybe get started testing stuff on my own because he works too much.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:12 PM   #14
DLite
David

Bike(s):
'06 Triumph D675
'03 R6 (Track)
'07 HD Street Bob

I vote for a fried regulator/rectifier.
DLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #15
Jason_Canuck

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

Vacuum petock get modified if po did install correct or else it don't run right.
Speedo is cable driven and did back off on mine and responded the same way.

Last edited by Jason_Canuck; 07-02-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Jason_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #16
QuickMick
League City

Bike(s):
XR650L SUMO
Zuma big bore hittin 62mph
Square Nose SJ
B1
B2

Check to make sure your fuel tank vent isnt clogged. That would keep your bike from getting fuel.
QuickMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #17
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish View Post
If you vacuum your pet , you probably shouldn't share that info on the internet.

I'm not sure what you are asking. It does have a vacuum petcock but there doesn't seem to be an issue with it.

That was the first thing my brother checked (he builds race quads and races AMA for what it's worth.) I'm really trying to get some info and maybe get started testing stuff on my own because he works too much.
just making sure the installer of the FCR did it correctly. The DRZ has a petcock that is activated by vacuum off the stock carb. When installing the FCR it requires a fitting be added off the cylinder or head (forget where, been years since I installed one on a 400). If that line is routed funny, gets kinked, or the line stops seeing vacuum, you will become fuel starved. No vacuum, no fuel. A way to test the petcock would be to pull your spark plug cap, pull the line from carb and put outlet into a fuel safe container. give your e-start a press and fuel should come out. Of course, there is the PRIME position as well.

ASK ME HOW I KNOW. Good luck tracking down your gremlins.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #18
Trish

Bike(s):
2008 CBR600rr
2006 DRZ400SM

Alright, it's definitely 2 separate problems. I went out there and traced the speed sensor cable only to find that it was completely disconnected. Easy fix there. Has anyone ever put locktite on it? Is this a fluke thing or should I expect this to happen from time to time?

My brother got rid of the kickstand switch and the bike was still dying, so that narrows out me hitting it with my heel being the sole problem.

Then he took the bike for a spin, and it will run fine on prime, but dies within a mile on run.... he stated this clearly tells him the issue is the petcock.

Comments? Input?

Hotnanas, my brother said the FCR is installed correctly.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #19
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Well looks like u found the problems....disconnect the vacuum line to see if its clogged from the Petcock and intake tube neck on the motor (thats where it should be pulling the vacuum from)

I installed a manual petcock on my DRZ of an older DRZ E model so I didnt have to deal with this issue. U should be able to just ride it in prime until u fix the issue.

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #20
kingworm
last seen being stupid

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
92 vulcan vn 750
1981 cb 400

i pet my all the time without any issues maybe you are rubbing to hard?

Advertisement