Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2014, 07:39 PM   #1
kingworm
last seen being stupid
 
kingworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: woodlands
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 426

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
92 vulcan vn 750
1981 cb 400








a little help with some work on my wifes cb 400

ok guys i bought my wife a cb 400 1981. and now shes pregnant and to scared to ride the thing. i could just bob it and ride it myself but i want her to enjoy the ride aswell you know? i talked to her about it and she would ride it if it was a trike. so anyone here have any knowledge on building a trike? whats needed and how much work/time/money is involved on making a extremely simple basic trike? im very interested on doing it manually i dont want to just buy a kit you know? any advice or experience in this would be appreciated.
__________________
th?idHN608024527291616749&amppid151&ampP0
kingworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
the wifes poem.................... Grinchy Off Topic 4 11-29-2010 09:37 PM
Wifes bday present philly fresh Off Topic 31 06-01-2010 05:31 PM
The wifes new ride! icecreaman General Discussion (Moto Related) 31 05-07-2010 02:45 PM
Wifes night out? jrock Off Topic 17 01-26-2007 12:42 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
HighSpeedPanic
Enthusiast
 
HighSpeedPanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: SugarLand
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 46

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2013 Rsv4









buy a sidecar.
HighSpeedPanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
r6racer
track
 
r6racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (4)
Posts: 8,582

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage





http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Trike

here is a how to do step by step with pictures.

hopefully someone else can give you more advice
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:43 PM   #4
kingworm
last seen being stupid
 
kingworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: woodlands
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 426

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
92 vulcan vn 750
1981 cb 400








thought of that she thinks sidecars look stupid lol and anyway i want to build it not buy it
__________________
th?idHN608024527291616749&amppid151&ampP0
kingworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:45 PM   #5
kingworm
last seen being stupid
 
kingworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: woodlands
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 426

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
92 vulcan vn 750
1981 cb 400








Quote:
Originally Posted by r6racer View Post
http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Trike

here is a how to do step by step with pictures.

hopefully someone else can give you more advice
i saw that thanks though. was hoping for first hand experience lol that tutorial just assumes everyone has a metal workshop out back and it sure makes it all look easy.
__________________
th?idHN608024527291616749&amppid151&ampP0
kingworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:03 PM   #6
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide
 
CaligoneTx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Valhalla
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 21,558

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)






Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
If I/we can help, we don't have welding equipment anymore but we have lifts and an a/c shop if you have projects we can roll out within a day or two (at BMW Houston North.)

I live in the Woodlands as well; we have 8 members that work at the dealer. I personally have built 6 bikes there Its good to be the boss

With anything, research, research research. You'll probably overpay even if building a trike, and you wont get your money back. But with any project its worth more for the build and what you want vs what you'll get for it ultimately; to that we cheers.
__________________
triumphsig
CaligoneTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:33 PM   #7
bluewave18
Safety Third
 
bluewave18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: S.E.
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 34,126

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50








Long time no see^
__________________
"Just curious,wife turns 40 soon. And I have a bucket list to accomplish. She can get frisky after a few drinks which I haven't used to my full advantage, YET!"
bluewave18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:25 PM   #8
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off
 
bumblebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 12,270


Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900






I know you weren't asking for opinions of your idea but this IS the Internet, lol.

IMHO, a trike is more dangerous than a bike. They don't accelerate as well, they don't brake as well and they sure don't handle as well. Not to mention, when turning, they have a tendency to throw the rider to the outside of the turn at the same time they have a tendency to tip up onto 2 wheels if not flip all the way over.
Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying they are death traps but the perception that more wheels makes them safer is misguided.

Still expressing my opinion, I'm guessing she feels a new sense of responsibility for your child. It has reasonably caused her to feel apprehension at taking risks.
She should, I think, reassess her enjoyment of riding.
If the passion for riding is strong enough then she should ride, safely, when she can. If it's not then climbing onto a vehicle that gives an empty promise of "safety" is maybe a choice that shouldn't be made.

I hope I haven't come off as an or hater of 3 wheelers but there's a reason they started making quads back in the 80's and stopped making off road 3 wheelers.
__________________
Asphalt is for racing... dirt is for growing potatoes. - J. Diester
When seconds count... the police are only minutes away.
Grow up and be a productive member of society already.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:42 PM   #9
MoreyFan
Senior Member
 
MoreyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 395


Bike(s):
CBR1000RR
Ducati Monster








Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
IMHO, a trike is more dangerous than a bike. They don't accelerate as well, they don't brake as well and they sure don't handle as well. Not to mention, when turning, they have a tendency to throw the rider to the outside of the turn at the same time they have a tendency to tip up onto 2 wheels if not flip all the way over.
I agree with all of this. The only advantage is you won't fall over when stopped or in the garage.

If my wife was pregnant I would have her skip riding anyways.
MoreyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-30-2014, 09:46 PM   #10
kingworm
last seen being stupid
 
kingworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: woodlands
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 426

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
92 vulcan vn 750
1981 cb 400








Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
I know you weren't asking for opinions of your idea but this IS the Internet, lol.

IMHO, a trike is more dangerous than a bike. They don't accelerate as well, they don't brake as well and they sure don't handle as well. Not to mention, when turning, they have a tendency to throw the rider to the outside of the turn at the same time they have a tendency to tip up onto 2 wheels if not flip all the way over.
Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying they are death traps but the perception that more wheels makes them safer is misguided.

Still expressing my opinion, I'm guessing she feels a new sense of responsibility for your child. It has reasonably caused her to feel apprehension at taking risks.
She should, I think, reassess her enjoyment of riding.
If the passion for riding is strong enough then she should ride, safely, when she can. If it's not then climbing onto a vehicle that gives an empty promise of "safety" is maybe a choice that shouldn't be made.

I hope I haven't come off as an or hater of 3 wheelers but there's a reason they started making quads back in the 80's and stopped making off road 3 wheelers.
its really not my choice its hers but she believes trikes are more visible and while i dont have any hard facts on it it kinda makes sense. even if she never rides it i still want to see if i can build one.
__________________
th?idHN608024527291616749&amppid151&ampP0
kingworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:47 PM   #11
kingworm
last seen being stupid
 
kingworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: woodlands
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 426

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
92 vulcan vn 750
1981 cb 400








either that or im going to bob it which is so boring lol
__________________
th?idHN608024527291616749&amppid151&ampP0
kingworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:56 PM   #12
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off
 
bumblebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 12,270


Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900






Quote:
Originally Posted by kingworm View Post
its really not my choice its hers but she believes trikes are more visible and while i dont have any hard facts on it it kinda makes sense. even if she never rides it i still want to see if i can build one.
Well, I don't get how a trike is more visible than a bike. If you want to build it, that's one thing but make sure she has her eyes open about this.
Trikes are at best marginally more visible and they have a bunch of negatives. Like Morey said, the only time they are "safer" than a bike is when they are stationary. All other times they are less safe.
Yall should talk but first. ..
You should ride a rickety 30 year old home made trike before you build one. Not saying yours would be poorly built, I'm saying, it ain't gonna be a modern Can Am Spider with 2 wheels in front, ABS and modern engineering.
It's gonna handle like , it won't stop for and it ain't gonna stand out in traffic like a yellow Lambo.
__________________
Asphalt is for racing... dirt is for growing potatoes. - J. Diester
When seconds count... the police are only minutes away.
Grow up and be a productive member of society already.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:19 PM   #13
TomballD
Senior Member
 
TomballD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tomball
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 8,634

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80






IMHO no woman will want to ride on the street, or even want their kids father riding on the street after taking on the most important change a person can make. Ask me how I know?

PS. I still ride on the street .......minimally
__________________
Danny
TomballD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:38 PM   #14
kingworm
last seen being stupid
 
kingworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: woodlands
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 426

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
92 vulcan vn 750
1981 cb 400








Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Well, I don't get how a trike is more visible than a bike. If you want to build it, that's one thing but make sure she has her eyes open about this.
Trikes are at best marginally more visible and they have a bunch of negatives. Like Morey said, the only time they are "safer" than a bike is when they are stationary. All other times they are less safe.
Yall should talk but first. ..
You should ride a rickety 30 year old home made trike before you build one. Not saying yours would be poorly built, I'm saying, it ain't gonna be a modern Can Am Spider with 2 wheels in front, ABS and modern engineering.
It's gonna handle like , it won't stop for and it ain't gonna stand out in traffic like a yellow Lambo.
lol i have been on a rickity 44 year old trike that count? honestly she likely just said that so i will give up on it and get bored but i really do want to turn it into a trike. doubt it will ever be used but she aint usin the thing now anyway.
__________________
th?idHN608024527291616749&amppid151&ampP0
kingworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:44 PM   #15
MoreyFan
Senior Member
 
MoreyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 395


Bike(s):
CBR1000RR
Ducati Monster








Quote:
Originally Posted by kingworm View Post
doubt it will ever be used but she aint usin the thing now anyway.
fix it up, sell it and buy a stroller. Let someone own a clean, unmolested UJM.
MoreyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:35 AM   #16
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off
 
bumblebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 12,270


Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900






Shoot I say do it!
If you like tackling projects, what the ?
It'll be interesting, you'll learn stuff and when you get done you'll have something different. All what I said before was coming from concern that you or your wife were going into this without having thought of the negatives.
Sounds like you got a handle on it so make a build thread and get started, lol
__________________
Asphalt is for racing... dirt is for growing potatoes. - J. Diester
When seconds count... the police are only minutes away.
Grow up and be a productive member of society already.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:17 AM   #17
kingworm
last seen being stupid
 
kingworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: woodlands
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 426

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
92 vulcan vn 750
1981 cb 400








Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreyFan View Post
fix it up, sell it and buy a stroller. Let someone own a clean, unmolested UJM.
pfft sell whats that mean? if i dont build the trike im just going to molest it into bike i ride. and i dont feel like bobbing it atm which is what i would do to it
__________________
th?idHN608024527291616749&amppid151&ampP0
kingworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #18
650ninja
speed is lovely
 
650ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: middle earth
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 716

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 650r sold :(
02 daytona 955i is fat sold
06' Triumph Daytona 675 sold D:
2003 sv650 distroyer of fingers sold
2004 gsxr 600






Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
If I/we can help, we don't have welding equipment anymore but we have lifts and an a/c shop if you have projects we can roll out within a day or two (at BMW Houston North.)

I live in the Woodlands as well; we have 8 members that work at the dealer. I personally have built 6 bikes there Its good to be the boss

With anything, research, research research. You'll probably overpay even if building a trike, and you wont get your money back. But with any project its worth more for the build and what you want vs what you'll get for it ultimately; to that we cheers.

good signature
__________________
Drei zylinder ist nummer ein!!!
650ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:17 PM   #19
FJRmgm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Omaha, Arkansas USA Motorcycling Paradise
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,995

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R







buy a used Can Am Spyder.
Way safer than any "one wheel up front and two in the back" trike.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #20
skittles
Member
 
skittles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 80

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2013 GSX-R600









Get her a trex......
skittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:56 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy