MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
Rowdy76

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Ion Electric Motorcycle

Curious to know what some of the older rider thought about the switch to the racing bikes and technology for Motorcycles in the past decades. Looks like we are about to see another big one in the next 5-6 years when electric bikes go mainstream.

http://blogs.motorcyclistonline.com/...src=SOC&dom=fb
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brammo Electric Motorcycle morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 07-18-2010 01:19 PM
Ion motorcycles (electric) GAU-8 General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 06-20-2010 12:10 AM
Electric Motorcycle gsxrjai General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 08-02-2008 03:54 PM
3G electric motorcycle 05cert Off Topic 0 09-10-2007 06:21 PM
Enertia: The Electric Motorcycle SBK Pilot General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 07-10-2007 07:00 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

It's going to be real cool to see what they start to produce. I really like the R n T.

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:49 PM   #3
MoreyFan

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR
Ducati Monster

Electric scooters might go mainstream. If they have decent range AND storage capacity I would even try one. Electric motorcycles will lag behind electric cars and they are decades from being mainstream.

I think Harley is the first major manufacture to even try it out right?
MoreyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:10 PM   #4
green600
HG Chairperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreyFan View Post

I think Harley is the first major manufacture to even try it out right?
no

Old 06-30-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
MoreyFan

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR
Ducati Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 826 View Post
no
Who is then?
Old 06-30-2014, 05:25 PM   #6
green600
HG Chairperson

http://news.yahoo.com/video/sjsu-pol...020100480.html

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

http://www.brammo.com/home/

http://lightningmotorcycle.com/

Old 06-30-2014, 05:34 PM   #7
MoreyFan

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR
Ducati Monster

HD sold 260,839 bikes in 2013. That was how I was using the word "major". None of those companies you listed even release hard sales numbers. I don't see how you could in any way consider them major.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:40 PM   #8
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
HD sold 260,839 bikes in 2013. That was how I was using the word "major". None of those companies you listed even release hard sales numbers. I don't see how you could in any way consider them major.
Just sit back and think for a sec ... these companies he listed and many more are working on this technology and have been for years. If you believe Yami, Suzuki, Honda, and the rest do not have a R&D group working on this or watching these other companies you need to come out of your bubble.

Just because Harley mentioned they may build an electric bike does not mean they are the only "major" manuf. working towards this. They had to put out the feeler as their base demographic as far as perception is not "green" minded. But you have a big percentage of Harley riders that are doctors, lawyers etc that will drop the cash just to buy one of these electric harley bikes just like they did with the Tesla and other electric cars.

This technology will not be out of the US .. we are behind in Electric Motorized vehicles as BIG OIL run here. But emerging markets like India and China have been on this for a while now.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:44 PM   #9
MoreyFan

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR
Ducati Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy76 View Post
Just sit back and think for a sec ... these companies he listed and many more are working on this technology and have been for years. If you believe Yami, Suzuki, Honda, and the rest do not have a R&D group working on this or watching these other companies you need to come out of your bubble.

Just because Harley mentioned they may build an electric bike does not mean they are the only "major" manuf. working towards this. They had to put out the feeler as their base demographic as far as perception is not "green" minded. But you have a big percentage of Harley riders that are doctors, lawyers etc that will drop the cash just to buy one of these electric harley bikes just like they did with the Tesla and other electric cars.

This technology will not be out of the US .. we are behind in Electric Motorized vehicles as BIG OIL run here. But emerging markets like India and China have been on this for a while now.

By try it out I meant release an actual production like prototype. The technology for any EV is battery chemistry. Japan leads here because of their domination of portable electronics (Toshiba, Panasonic, Sony). Nothing to do with BIG OIL.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:49 PM   #10
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
By try it out I meant release an actual production like prototype. The technology for any EV is battery chemistry. Japan leads here because of their domination of portable electronics (Toshiba, Panasonic, Sony). Nothing to do with BIG OIL.
We could duplicate the same technology ... maybe better (just steel the Japanese like we did the Germans in WWII lol). But as far as production bike I still stand behind my opinion that the major manuf are building them ... if it goes fast with some range sport riders will buy one. For HD riders ... they gotta sell em on it first.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:08 PM   #11
ST675
01101000 01101001

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
lots of bikes from 80cc to 1200cc
Current : ZX11
KX80

For me it has nothing to do with big oil. If its electric, I want 200 mile range with the ability to rechage as fast ( or even 10 min ) as I can fill a tank... give me that and I would buy one. until then...
Old 06-30-2014, 06:18 PM   #12
MoreyFan

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR
Ducati Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST675 View Post
For me it has nothing to do with big oil. If its electric, I want 200 mile range with the ability to rechage as fast ( or even 10 min ) as I can fill a tank... give me that and I would buy one. until then...
Which will always be the case with nickel or lithium batteries.

The entire future of EVs is in battery technology getting better not taking existing batteries and learning how to build vehicles. Without super capacitors or better batteries there should be no public interest (ie government rebates) in building these things.

If I released a phone battery that could fully recharge in 1 minute, everyone would want one. The incentive is already there.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:45 PM   #13
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Which will always be the case with nickel or lithium batteries.

The entire future of EVs is in battery technology getting better not taking existing batteries and learning how to build vehicles. Without super capacitors or better batteries there should be no public interest (ie government rebates) in building these things.

If I released a phone battery that could fully recharge in 1 minute, everyone would want one. The incentive is already there.
Exactly.
When battery tech becomes a viable alternative THEN electric cars and bikes become a reasonable alternative.
As an "old dude" I think electric bikes would be a hoot. But I ain't paying $14,000 for a bike I can barely ride to work and back before I have to spend hours refueling. For that money I can get any number of bikes with better performance and double the range. Then refuel in 5 minutes.

Someday they'll figure out how to store more power in a smaller, lighter package that can recharge faster but, I think is still a few years out. And a few more before it becomes cheap enough to compete.
And then there's always the oil company conspiracy, lol
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:24 PM   #14
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Who is then?
yamaha, PES-1 (and from our very own MH)
http://www.gizmag.com/yamaha-electri...se-2015/31983/

hero (currently corporate partners with EBR, and as the largest manufacturer by volume globally, you can't say they're not "major")
http://cleanrider.com/indian-hero/
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/750/18...N-Concept.aspx

suzuki
http://green.autoblog.com/2013/10/30...c-motorcycles/

honda, apparently starting as far as 20 years back...
http://world.honda.com/EV-neo/concept/

kawi, to some extent
http://www.cnet.com/pictures/future-...ow-pictures/5/

The other guys may not be as close to production with a current model, but it's not like they're just not doing anything with them.

Last edited by Jae; 07-01-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:37 PM   #15
MoreyFan

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR
Ducati Monster

Old 07-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #16
green600
HG Chairperson

Quote:
Considering they already have bikes on showroom floors......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST675 View Post
yep

Last edited by green600; 07-01-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #17
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
So I have to defend "major" and "try it out" now.

Concept

Scooter

Concept

Concept

Don't let t-max hear you say that a scooter doesn't count

Do you then discount Hero as a major motorcycle manufacturer, just because they're not big in the US (6 million units vs. HD's [edit]261k)? And last time I checked, the HD is still not in production, so as of the last news release I saw it's still conceptual until production actually starts.

If you go back through old patents HD as a company has come up with some pretty cool stuff... leaning trikes, very different engine designs than the standard air-cooled v-twin, but for some reason they've never really acted on them. Maybe they decided to finally get their head out of their collective and actually try something different than "potato".

As for other major manufacturers NOT having a production-ready electric, perhaps they just don't see the market as being ready yet? Perhaps the economics just don't work out? Don't know what the hold up is, but my point is they've all explored the technology, and regardless of frame configuration, several have put the concept into production already.

Not to mention that if you actually looked at the article about the Yami, they're stated as being ready for production "In the near future" as Yamaha put it, which sounds like it's likely on an even timeline with HD.

Last edited by Jae; 07-01-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #18
green600
HG Chairperson

Indian bike manufactures don't count because of dot.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:12 PM   #19
MoreyFan

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR
Ducati Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
As for other major manufacturers NOT having a production-ready electric, perhaps they just don't see the market as being ready yet? Perhaps the economics just don't work out?
Umm, I have been saying this the entire thread. Honda knows all about batteries, they just don't want to lose money. HD has no problem losing money.
Liked this post:
Old 07-02-2014, 05:42 PM   #20
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

I still stand by my OP ... In the next 5-6 years there will be a bunch electric bikes on the roads .. Maybe just short commuters but they will be there. They already have race prototypes out using braking to recharge the system. I wouldn't see too far 120+ mile range sport types on the showroom floors

Advertisement