Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2007, 09:32 PM   #21
jrock
straight shooter

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Eat a gallon of ice cream and then drink a case of cold beer . You will find your answer in the simplest of terms.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2007, 09:40 PM   #22
100f
Reagan and Peyton's Dad

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
94' 1000F
92' VFR 750

^^^^^ don't get that rock
100f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:54 PM   #23
Slowkat
Nutty Buddy

Send a message via AIM to Slowkat
Dont smoke good weed and try to figure it out, your brain will twist into knots and ruin the high.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:34 AM   #24
dr.demento

Bike(s):
05/gsxr750

Send a message via ICQ to dr.demento
Lets start with hertzsprung-russell diagram showing main sequence stars (region where most stars are found).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hertzsp...ussell_diagram

A star is a nuclear fusion furnace that is a struggle between gravity and nuclear forces. The nuclear forces work to push (explode) the star out and gravity pushes it back it. Fusion, as the name implies, means combining. When two hydrogen atoms are squeezed together to produce helium, a photon if light is emitted. When the star uses up all the hyrdogen, it then burns helium... this process continues until such a point it can no longer burn the heavier elements.

What distinguishes stars from one another is how they behave when the nuclear fuel runs out; when it is no longer able to resist the inward collapse. Solar mass refers to the mass of an object with relation to our sun. So, having 5 solar mass means object has 5 times mass of our sun.

A star which is balanced by electro-magnetic forces is a white dwarf. Determined by the chandrasekhar limit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandrasekhar_limit). Such a star is balanced by the repulsive force between electrons. This is the likely fate of our sun.

A star which is balanced by nuclear forces is a neutron star (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_star). A neutron star is so densely packed that it is held up by repulsion of neutrons. A small quantity of matter would weigh so much that it would immediately sink through earths crust to the center.

A star with a solar mass of 5-8 (there is still some speculation there), when the fuel runs out, with nothing to stop its inward collapse will become a black hole. A black hole is so massive that light (with no mass) cannot escape; however, when you consider that even our sun can bend the path of light (on a much more moderate scale) it is not hard to imagine.

If you're really interested in the topic, I recommend you read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Holes-Ti.../dp/0393312763

Btw, I work nights and things were slow so had time for a lengthy reply.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:08 AM   #25
paniro187

thanks i just ordered the book. I love reading about natural phenomenons like this. same with the hadal zone of the ocean it's so cool to read about this stuff.

so we aren't headed to wards a black hole?? if everything on the event horizon is sucked in then that would mean as it sucks things in then the event is constantly "moving" right???

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:46 AM   #26
jrock
straight shooter

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100f
^^^^^ don't get that rock
You really dont want to *get it*
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:11 PM   #27
paniro187

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187
thanks i just ordered the book. I love reading about natural phenomenons like this. same with the hadal zone of the ocean it's so cool to read about this stuff.

so we aren't headed to wards a black hole?? if everything on the event horizon is sucked in then that would mean as it sucks things in then the event is constantly "moving" right???
when i say moving i mean it's sucking things up that moving into the even horizon which kind og like a sink that have the drained pulled the water that's furtherest away from the drain will eventually be pulled closer to the drain hole.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:47 PM   #28
bigjay77

Bike(s):
01 yzf-r6 painters tape edition, 98 superhawk 996

Send a message via Yahoo to bigjay77
i looked up "event horizon" and i found that i only explained the little bit that i knew about them around blackholes. the other horizons are stuff that i now have to read more about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event_horizon

read this, the "interacting" section is a nice example

from the way i see it, basic event horizons are different (the point where light cannot escape) for different blackholes with different masses, so its distance from the core will be different based on the mass of the core.

Quote:
when i say moving i mean it's sucking things up that moving into the even horizon which kind og like a sink that have the drained pulled the water that's furtherest away from the drain will eventually be pulled closer to the drain hole.
ok i think ur right, if an object in deep space has no propulsion, a galaxy can pull on it, so it would drift toward the black hole, but space is so big that would take eons, and the object might get caught by a stars gravity before it reached the black hole. or it may actually take orbit around the galaxy, being held by gravity. our solar system feels the pull of the black hole in the center of the MilkyWay, but we are far enough away that we orbit the center in one of the arms in the MilkyWay. i havent read anything that said we were on the way in...:dontknow:

i need to read the technical references given in the wiki article to better understand these theories, its very interesting
Old 05-12-2007, 12:56 PM   #29
AliceInChains02

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada

eat some shrooms, the answers will come to you.
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement