MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
Kingsnake1650

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2001 Ducati 996, RS125, NSR 50RR

Questions about trackdays??

I just track preped my Ducati and also bought an Ride Smart 125. I want to do atleast a few track days a year with these bikes...... but was a little disapointed with my 1st trackday experiance.
I did the LSTD TWS (Texas World Speedway) trackday and wasnt really happy with the attitudes of the people running the trackday, I guess I went with intensions of coming back a better motorcycle rider and I really cant say that happened... mostly I just paid $175 for about 1 1/2 hours on the track. (this thead is not a dig at LSTD's Im sure they have many satisfied customers I am just not one of them) Over all I got the feeling that the trackday was put on to that the LSTD people and their CMRA buddys could get together and get some track time in..... and unfortunatly they had to open in to the public.
So that said I guess my questions are..... Who all offers trackdays? And how would you rate thier program? Who offers the best track instruction? Who offers the best bang for your buck the most track time for the money? Who has the best attitude and realizes that the noobs that show up to the track are customer not just problems?
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
N00b questions: What front forks do I have and TMGP tire questions E-Train Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 4 10-24-2013 08:04 AM
Trackdays here yet?!?! dbuck Taking it to the Track 10 01-21-2009 01:29 PM
??? about trackdays Kingsnake1650 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 11 09-14-2007 05:48 PM
between trackdays.... houseofpaint Taking it to the Track 24 04-26-2007 11:03 AM
TRACKDAYS ! Lobo General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 01-28-2006 07:45 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2007, 12:25 PM   #2
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
what group/class did you sign up for?
Old 05-10-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
maskale

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2005 CBR600RR Trackbike
2007 Warrior Midnight

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=16837

Very good people that will help you and follow you with vid so you can see what you look like and what you need to work on. The track is near Angleton.
about 4.5 hours of actuall track time.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
maskale

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2005 CBR600RR Trackbike
2007 Warrior Midnight

Oh, Midland. You are way out there.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:00 PM   #5
buddha429
Reformed Track Addict

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
at the junkyard

still worth the drive. there was a big group from san antonio last time, they said they'd be back.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:20 PM   #6
Swift E

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

LSTD Rocks...
I would recomend getting some 1 on 1 with an instructor for detailed instructions outside of the classroom.
It really helped me when Denny / James and the countless others would show me lines and tell me where I could use some correction.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:27 PM   #7
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

I can only speak good about LSTD. If you went on a Friday, then yeah, they don't have the beginner class and it is all about the CMRA race that weekend.

On Mondays though, they have a beginner class and they offer the $50 class which is highly recommended. At first, I didn't think that I learnt a lot at my first trackday because I was very intimitated; however, once I got back on the street, I was amazed at how much more confidence I had in turns and curves. I remembered reference points and lines.

When you go, make sure to pick an instructor and tell them your problems or concerns. I don't think there was one session where I didn't have Ronny find me and follow him for at least a few laps. He took me down to almost Round-Robin speed just so I'd relax and learn the lines.

Others to chose from is Buck Beasley's where I also had an excellent experience at the noob trackday or Ridesmart. I never ridden at Ridesmart but have a trackday credit that I hope to be able to use soon.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:47 PM   #8
Kingsnake1650

Bike(s):

I went to the TWS (Texas World Speedway) april 13th trackday, and I was in the "B" group. I was comfortable with the group honestly I was probably faster than 60% of that group. My biggest problem was that I got no instruction and that I really didnt feel like I was treated like a customer.
It sound like the Monday LSTD are a completly different feel from the Friday trackdays. so maybe I should reserve my opinion untill after I try a moday trackday.
Im not looking for someone to hold my hand I just want to come away from the track a better rider
And Yes I am in Midland.... Basicly its a long drive no matter what track I go to. WE do have a Kart track here that is perfect for little bikes... And I think with a little practice my RS125 will go well also. Its nice to have that little track becuase I get ALOT of track time Probably atleast 5-6 hours a week

Tom I assume that is an 817?? I would like to talk to you about this more when is a good time to call?
Old 05-10-2007, 02:15 PM   #9
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

thats 713 FYI
Old 05-10-2007, 02:18 PM   #10
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsnake1650
It sound like the Monday LSTD are a completly different feel from the Friday trackdays. so maybe I should reserve my opinion untill after I try a moday trackday.
Do a Monday trackday in the C group with the class. I am positive you won't regret it!
Old 05-10-2007, 02:25 PM   #11
nutmegchoi
Go girls!

Bike(s):
2013 CBR600RR Repsol

As Tom said, could be CMRA weekend thing.
Then you were just at the wrong first trackday.

My personal experience with LSTD was great.
Maybe cause I know a lot of people there.
Talk to Tom and I would say at least give them another chance.

There are few other trackday organizations within reach.
Try them all and do whatever works the best for you.
Good luck.

http://www.ridesmart.info/
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95
http://www.tigertrackdays.com/
Old 05-10-2007, 02:52 PM   #12
NOsquid

A track day is just that, track time. Anything else you get is extra. I'm not sticking up for LSTD, I'm not sure I've ridden with them though I may have at some point. I personally don't like instruction when I don't ask for it, I had a problem with that when I started going to the track. With some organizations like NESBA they have "control riders" constantly fluttering around, signaling you, bringing you into the pits to talk to you, you can't pass them without getting waved by etc.. I never really liked it, I wanted to work on things on my own, it's just how I am. When I want help I pick a person who I think would be good and go ask them.

So basically, unless you asked one of the guys running it for help and they said " off n00b" I don't think you should complain too much. Just ask, most people find it quite flattering to be asked for help, I know I do.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:54 PM   #13
nutmegchoi
Go girls!

Bike(s):
2013 CBR600RR Repsol

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOsquid
NESBA "control riders"
Oh, yeah.
I heard about them at Road America.
:laughing6
Old 05-10-2007, 04:51 PM   #14
Swift E

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

HEY I'VE GOT A QUESTION FOR YA.
If I'm signed up for sprints on a CMRA race weekend.
Do I still need to regester and pay for a trackday for the Friday prior?
Or is there a break in price for pre-race day tuning?
Old 05-10-2007, 04:56 PM   #15
Swift E

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

That's what I'd thought.
Thanks again
Old 05-10-2007, 05:01 PM   #16
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
Quote:
I just track preped my Ducati and also bought an Ride Smart 125. I want to do atleast a few track days a year with these bikes...... but was a little disapointed with my 1st trackday experiance.
I did the LSTD TWS (Texas World Speedway) trackday and wasnt really happy with the attitudes of the people running the trackday, I guess I went with intensions of coming back a better motorcycle rider and I really cant say that happened... mostly I just paid $175 for about 1 1/2 hours on the track. (this thead is not a dig at LSTD's Im sure they have many satisfied customers I am just not one of them) Over all I got the feeling that the trackday was put on to that the LSTD people and their CMRA buddys could get together and get some track time in..... and unfortunatly they had to open in to the public.
So that said I guess my questions are..... Who all offers trackdays? And how would you rate thier program? Who offers the best track instruction? Who offers the best bang for your buck the most track time for the money? Who has the best attitude and realizes that the noobs that show up to the track are customer not just problems?
I'll cut through the drama and offer pointers.

1) Do RideSmart track days, they are the best bang for your buck. For $135 you get track time aswell as in-class instruction.

LSTD is already expensive at $175, and if you want in-class instruction you gotta pay $50 more :eh: .

2) RideSmart is more like a School, and from your initial post in this thread - that's what you need. Schooling on the track.

3) LSTD is good when it comes to limiting people and running in a more organized way - but don't expect in class instruction without paying the extra $$$, however i've always found "most - not all, but most" of their instructors very kind and helpful. Just go up and ask them. Carbon R1 is an LSTD instructor and a true MotoHoustonion, ask him to follow you around and give you pointers. He'll be a great help to you.

4) RideSmart treats all their track days the same way, there's no "Oh on Fridays..Oh on Mondays.."

5) If you were faster then 60% of the guys in your B Group then maybe you should get some one on one with Ty Howard (a step above the in-class instruction). I highly recommend him.

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
Old 05-10-2007, 07:17 PM   #17
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
I went to the TWS (Texas World Speedway) april 13th trackday, and I was in the "B" group. I was comfortable with the group honestly I was probably faster than 60% of that group. My biggest problem was that I got no instruction and that I really didnt feel like I was treated like a customer.
Im not looking for someone to hold my hand I just want to come away from the track a better rider
And Yes I am in Midland.... Basicly its a long drive no matter what track I go to. WE do have a Kart track here that is perfect for little bikes... And I think with a little practice my RS125 will go well also. Its nice to have that little track becuase I get ALOT of track time Probably atleast 5-6 hours a week

Tom I assume that is an 817?? I would like to talk to you about this more when is a good time to call?

this bothers me just a bit, if at anytime with LSTD (or any other org.) you feel you have a question or need some help please find any rider wearing a blue jersey these guys are instructors/control riders. We make our presence known in all rider levels.

We are there to help anyone in need. You did happen to come on a race weekend as stated above. NOT the perfect day for a noob to start on the track.

some tend to get out of hand or ride dangerously, this is where the control rider portion comes in handy, we evaluate and make a decision based on what we see from you the riders.

some need or would like help in certain and in some cases in ALL areas of their riding abilities and this is where the instructor portion comes in handy. Ask you will be helped without a hitch. I love helping people, even before i was an "instructor" i tried to help everyone that i could, while like Vfracer-r, i'm not the fastest guy on the track but we are experienced and would be more than happy to share our knowledge.

Like blackwidow said, if you feel that you are faster than most and still need help then, LSTD has several Extremely fast people on staff to ask or you could sign up for a 1 on 1 with someone like John Haner,Ty howard, mike sanchez, or even Marcus Mcbain could help..

Instead of getting upset next time, just ask some questions. If you don't see anyone with a blue jersey, ask anyone to direct you to one of us, everyone knows us, or at least one of us.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:32 PM   #18
Kingsnake1650

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonR1
Instead of getting upset next time, just ask some questions. If you don't see anyone with a blue jersey, ask anyone to direct you to one of us, everyone knows us, or at least one of us.

I never said I was upset or mad about it... What I said was that I was disappointed with the trackday experiance. Really the lack of instruction was a minor point in my 1st post. Honestly it was more that attidude that was my problem.... That said I really dont want to get real deep into this on a public forum, Its bad for all of us. I plan on talking to Tom tonight and I will hold off on making judgment about LSTD untill after I talk to him
I really think that if I had gone to a trackday NOT on a race weekend it would have been a whole different experiance.... Atleast I hope.
I really dont want this thread to turn who like or hates LSTD Thread. I just want to know what all is out there and what might be better for me.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:35 PM   #19
nutmegchoi
Go girls!

Bike(s):
2013 CBR600RR Repsol

Quote:
I never said I was upset or mad about it... What I said was that I was disappointed with the trackday experiance. Really the lack of instruction was a minor point in my 1st post. Honestly it was more that attidude that was my problem.... That said I really dont want to get real deep into this on a public forum, Its bad for all of us. I plan on talking to Tom tonight and I will hold off on making judgment about LSTD untill after I talk to him
I really think that if I had gone to a trackday NOT on a race weekend it would have been a whole different experiance.... Atleast I hope.
I really dont want this thread to turn who like or hates LSTD Thread. I just want to know what all is out there and what might be better for me.
+1
With that attitude, I think you can make anything better experience.
Hope to see you soon at the track.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:47 PM   #20
Longnguyen

i been to a few different track day organizations and here is my mentality when i get there......basically paid for time to use the track, expect no contact from the staff except for registration and tech. That way you dont expect anyhelp or feed back so any help is a bonus. =)
Closed Thread

Advertisement