MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #1
packersfan7831

Feedback Rating: (0)

Member Garage

Still Dealing with first drop... feel like i may be getting the runaround.

Ok so i finally got my right clip on attached and the bike running again, but now i have a very mushy front brake... At rest, the brake grabs like normal, but once the bike is moving there is very little braking power... the lever pulls all the way in and it only feels like around 70% of the front brake.... If i pump the brake while slowing down it builds the pressure back up... Me and a buddy bled the brakes for about 30 minutes, but granted ive never bled bike brakes before so we may not have done it properly... I took the bike to a local mom and pop and he told me it was a bent rotor... hes gonna start working on it in the am, but it just feels off to me... seems like a master cylinder seal or something with the way it holds perfectly at rest but not in motion... theres no jerking or stuttering in the stop. Theres no visable bend in the rotor.... Hes not charging me much to replace the rotor at all, but idk... after reading about how hard it is to bleed all the air outta sport bike lines, it seems to me like this could legitematly just be air in my line, with this guy giving me the runaround... And the shop is Airline Motorcycle center, with andre being my contact there if anyone has any thoughts

2012 yamaha r6 btw
packersfan7831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dealing with insurance +Travis+ Off Topic 8 07-08-2014 08:25 PM
Dealing with rust Help if you can Jaemeriiaa General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 11-21-2011 03:25 AM
Dealing with bugs on the freeway olie05 General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 05-06-2011 10:11 PM
Dealing with Trailers...and all the BS dbuck Off Topic 15 02-03-2009 11:53 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Did you have the forks off or loose?
If the front was loosened it may be misaligned and the rotors could have pushed the pads in.
have you tried pumping the brakes while in motion?
A warped rotor pulses, it doesn't cause no brakes at all.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
packersfan7831

Member Garage

I didnt have the forks off or loose,but the bike did impact the curb at about 10mph with the front wheel...pumping the brakes while the bike is moving gives me almost all my brake
Old 06-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #4
signpimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2002 klx110

Send a message via MSN to signpimp
Sounds like a bent rotor to me...as the slight bend/warp gradually pushes on one side of the caliper it pushes that pad in and the other side comes out but not hard enough to feel like full stopping power. The floater rotors make it worse because they can move even more. Solid mount rotors would pulse. Andre has been around for a long time, he has seen this before. I don't think you are getting the run around. Your rim could be warped....depends on how hard it hit the curb....10mph with how much force?? nobody really knows...physics is crazy....

Now if he recommended a frame swap, I would be suspicious.

Last edited by signpimp; 06-19-2014 at 07:58 PM. Reason: stuff
signpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #5
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

I think you said you live on the north part of town, if you would like I can take a quick look at it to see if I can help you catch something on there. PM me if you want and i'll send you my address if you ride it by
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
packersfan7831

Member Garage

Ok that makes sense then,if the rotors float....i guess ill just go ahead and let him fix it? Just wanted to make sure the symptoms matched what he was telling me
Old 06-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #7
Sickspeed
Lets Ride

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
R6

Bent rotor I'd say. Same thing happened to me on my r6. Previous owner dropped the bike, bent the rotor, and before i replaced it I had to pump the brakes to get pressure
Sickspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:07 PM   #8
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

Also I have extra rims for r6's in my garage with good tires and everything on them. If you want to swing by try the rim w/ perfectly straight rotors then you can put it on and ride around the neighborhood or up the road real quick to find it if thats the issue. I know they're 100% because Ive used them at the track, i just use extra wheels at the track
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement