MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2014, 07:49 AM   #61
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaokang View Post
Hello all,

Looks like this is it for me. Hanging the helmet up (and selling it). Been riding for almost 2 years now. I've got this random gut feeling that I shouldn't be riding, and my mind hasn't been in it the last few weeks. I love the sport, but I feel like I'll be doing myself a disservice by riding at the moment. Plus, all the news of illegals/uninsured/underinsured driving around in cages itching to take me out are getting to me.
Has anyone else been at this point, or have similar feelings?

What makes you keep riding?
I agree with some of the previous responses. Change your environment (track) and/or type (knobbies/supermoto).

Worried about death/injury? Man up, have your affairs in order, buy good insurance so your family is taken care of if you get injured/killed, and focus on the ride.

If you still don't enjoy it and are uncomfortable, you should quit.

To answer your last question...

I can't stop.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quitting smoking Jae Health and Fitness 25 08-13-2015 04:50 PM
If flipping burgers earns $15/hr...I'm quitting my job. dbuck The Circus 41 12-10-2013 12:56 AM
Quitting Facebook sunday_rider Off Topic 71 01-14-2013 08:08 PM
Can't sleep..Nervous about quitting... Vividkid Off Topic 23 06-21-2011 06:15 PM
Anyone having a hard time quitting their job? Kinny Off Topic 19 12-04-2007 04:12 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2014, 08:41 AM   #62
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

I read a shirt the other day that said,
"I have two passions in life. My dirt bike, and... riding my dirt bike."

From the first time I read the original post, I just want to know:
At what point in ones involvement with motorcycles do they begin to call it a sport?

Last edited by hotnanas; 06-23-2014 at 08:45 AM.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #63
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxSandman View Post
I recently quit riding after 26 years. If you don't feel like you shouldn't be riding, then don't ride. If you haven't tried dirt yet, maybe that's your thing. Seems like I stayed injured when I rode dirt, but never got into anything that I felt like should have killed me. Worst thing on dirt was a broken leg. I went down in March and damaged both knees and my right hand, lost a finger. Was geared up and it saved my life, but I'm hanging up the (severely damaged) helmet as well.
Clark, didn't realize you had an accident that took a finger. Sorry to hear it man. I bet the RR wasn't too happy to hear about the incident. Hope you're all healed up man!
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #64
TxSandman
My backpacks got jets

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
05 Buell XB12R, 07 KLR650

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
Clark, didn't realize you had an accident that took a finger. Sorry to hear it man. I bet the RR wasn't too happy to hear about the incident. Hope you're all healed up man!
My ring finger doesn't really bend much anymore, hard to grip things with my right hand. I was out of work for about a month, used up some vacation and had full coverage on the bike plus some disability. Looks like I never let go...
10173814 655970557773048 4885389761311654034 n
TxSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #65
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

dude I have read some good posts by you but never a accident thread. Hope everything gets back to as close as normal as quick as possible for you.

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:11 PM   #66
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

I actually just wrecked on Thursday night and can't tell you how many times since then I've been asked if I'm done with bikes. Personally, I'm just that the insurance adjuster hasn't taken a look at the bike so I can fix it yet.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #67
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
I actually just wrecked on Thursday night and can't tell you how many times since then I've been asked if I'm done with bikes.
Men or women?
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #68
Ek

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
SV 650
KTM 125sx
Harley Street Bob
Husky 610 Tard
Vino 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas View Post
I read a shirt the other day that said,
"I have two passions in life. My dirt bike, and... riding my dirt bike."

From the first time I read the original post, I just want to know:
At what point in ones involvement with motorcycles do they begin to call it a sport?
I was thinking he same thing. He'll, I race a few times a year and don't really consider it a sport. I quit for a number of years after a pretty bad ad injury but made my way back. It was never a issue of quitting. Life just didn't let me ride for a while. If you are scared then by all means quit. This may not be your thing. There is always bowling or mixed softball leagues.
Ek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:26 PM   #69
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby Racer View Post
Men or women?
Both. Online, mostly friends of my wife, but several guys in the office asked me this morning. I'm sure most think I'm crazy for wanting to continue riding after having two separate wrecks within a month (first was on dirt, this one due to road conditions in a turn).
Old 06-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #70
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
I'm sure most think I'm crazy for wanting to continue riding after having two separate wrecks within a month (first was on dirt, this one due to road conditions in a turn).
Not surprised. This speaks volumes about the pussification of the average man in our culture: "Omg, you do risky things!? Omg those risky things hurt you!? You should totally never, ever take a risk again!!"

Sad.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Liked this post:
Old 06-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #71
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Yep, truth is that someday I may hang up the gear on the street, but I'll have to get out on dirt or the track for that to happen. I enjoy riding too much, and at least as for now it would take a debilitating injury or illness to keep me from getting back on.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:52 PM   #72
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Yep, truth is that someday I may hang up the gear on the street, but I'll have to get out on dirt or the track for that to happen. I enjoy riding too much, and at least as for now it would take a debilitating injury or illness to keep me from getting back on.

There's nothing wrong with realizing when the risk outweighs the reward, and for me dodging traffic in order to have shitty, boring, straight-line riding is just that. So I'm track only. Avoiding ALL risk, though, is just...unmanly.

CMRA #302
Old 06-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #73
Fastola
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 CBR6er-street

User is banned

Fastola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:30 PM   #74
Fastola
Banned

Bike(s):
06 CBR6er-street

User is banned

Fastola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:34 PM   #75
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastola View Post
Avoiding all risk my .. Riding the track is more dangerous than the street. Specially level 2, ppl can use throttle all day and cant brake for causing many wrecks. There is plenty of extreme risk on the track.

If you ride the street correctly it should not be all that dangerous. Safer than driving in normal commuting.

There's something wrong with the way you ride track, bro.

CMRA #302
Old 06-23-2014, 09:16 PM   #76
Track_Graphics

I've been riding since I was 9. I'm an old . I won't give up my supersports. I love the way they look, sound, feel, accelerate, corner, raise up from sheer power even if your not necessarily wanting to wheelie - everything. In 45 years of riding I've had my share of close calls. I still think the best quote of all is "Faster faster, until the thrill of the speed overrides the fear of death". I know one of the guys here on MH has that in his footer.

Never rode a cruiser, don't want to. (well, some bobbers have a certain appeal).

I've lost 30 fingers, 30 toes, 3 hearts, six eyes, and 3 of the best people in my life. Almost lost a son. You know what? Fire-hydrants are REALLY solid even when hit with 500 lbs going 50mph - but he still rides with us.

Hang up yer helmet and spurs if you want. But don't be in a rush to sell. Go out to the garage after a Monday, put on some good tunes and take your sweet time and start to really clean it. Get those bugs off and little by little return it to the best possible condition. Give the rims and tires that showroom appearance. Sit on it a little bit. Start it up and get a whiff of that awesome race fuel bike cologne, keep it fresh in the nostrils and let it seep into your pores. Stick your face right up to that beautiful Akrapovic voice. French kiss that baby. And keep the key on your keychain!!!!

Have a party in your garage and tell your buddies about your bike and the one you planned on upgrading to next year. Who cares if your lying. Sit on it and ease down a few beers. Dood - it's part of your family. And it loves you more than your woman loves you. It's easy to prove too. Take a good snort of that seat. Smell that riders swampass? Your woman washes it off herself every few weeks. Your bike will keep it on there all summer. Now THAT's love!

A marriage takes work and in my Bible in the Book Of Collisions, Chapter II are the 10 commandments.
1) Thou Shant Not Giveth Up Like A Wussy Baby Suckling.
2) Thou Shallt Have No Participation In Heathen Activities To Replace Thy Riding Time.
3) What The Hellith Is Wrongith With Thou?
D) Curseth Not As Thou Curseth With Thine Mouth At The Caged Animals Entering Two By Two, The Ark Of Thine Own Lane.
8) Offer A Praise Sacrifice Unto The of Power. From The Holy Blessings Bestowed On Thy Beast, Partake Of The Sweet Savor Of Unburnt 97, The Vapors Of Spirit That Rizeth From The Reservoir of Power Unto The Firmament And Thouest Own Nose.
%) Measure Thou The Highest Of Your RPM. Twist And Give Unto Him That Makes The Voice That Soundeth As the Sound of Glory, The Sound Of Ten Thousand Pistons Screaming In Ecstasy. Cry Unto Him, Bow Low At The Sight Of His Feet Shod With Sidi, His Hands With Alpine Stars. Cheerfully From Thine Heart, Giveth As It Were Ten Percent Of the Highest RPM.
10) Return Thee Unto Whence Thou Cometh. Take They Powerful Steed. Fashion Him Smartly Between Thine Legs And Let Thine Loins Be Pleasured and Produce Thine Good Seed For All To See. And You Shallt Become a Nation, An Army. Don't Be Ghey.
[/FONT]

So..... Looks like it's your call. Do you really wanna sin now?
Old 06-23-2014, 09:31 PM   #77
MoreyFan

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR
Ducati Monster

I'm gonna need a kidney in about ten years so if you could start riding again at that time I would appreciate it.

What is your blood type?
MoreyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:18 PM   #78
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

Quote:
Both. Online, mostly friends of my wife, but several guys in the office asked me this morning. I'm sure most think I'm crazy for wanting to continue riding after having two separate wrecks within a month (first was on dirt, this one due to road conditions in a turn).
What happened?
Old 06-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #79
Gardo

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2003 Suzuki DRZ400E
12 GT 3.0 GTR
11 Giant Talon 29er1
15 Polaris RZR 4 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaokang View Post
Hello all,

Looks like this is it for me. Hanging the helmet up (and selling it). Been riding for almost 2 years now. I've got this random gut feeling that I shouldn't be riding, and my mind hasn't been in it the last few weeks. I love the sport, but I feel like I'll be doing myself a disservice by riding at the moment. Plus, all the news of illegals/uninsured/underinsured driving around in cages itching to take me out are getting to me.
Has anyone else been at this point, or have similar feelings?
What makes you keep riding?
I had the same feeling back in 2010 when my son was born but my wife did not want me to sell my zx14. When we found out we were having another baby in Oct 2011 I convinced her to let me sell my bike. I say take a break in a few months you may change your mind and can buy a new bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler83 View Post
I did the same thing 4 years ago, sold all my street bikes. I had the exact same feelings as your having and I have been on a motorcycle since I was 5. This winter I bought myself a ATV to have some fun with and the addiction kicked back in, although this time on dirt. I know have a 400ex and a brand new polaris RZR and a kx 125. I am still feeling that urge to get back on a 4 cylinder bike though, but I doubt i'll buy one anytime soon. To me it's just not worth it riding around houston. Its not if somebody is going to run you over it's when. After having my son in september makes it even harder to want to get back out on the road. I vote knobbies too!!

I did the same thing bought a RZR and a honda trx450er and I have a lot of fun on dirt.
Gardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:16 AM   #80
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Samurai View Post
What happened?
Was on 610 around the 290 exit, where 610 turns from westbound to southbound and they're doing all that construction. Hit a weird pavement seam (where it was asphalt to concrete) mid corner and it upset the rear suspension. Honestly felt like a reverse tank slapper, if that's a thing. Hit it right at the end of the easy curve, right before it gets tighter so I couldn't just stand the bike up out of the lean. Shake got worse and threw me off.

Oh well, I'm pretty fed up with touring bikes. They're fine for eating up highway miles but I'm ready to get back on something a little better suited to fun riding. I'll keep my rat to tug the sidecar and take on 5k mile trips.

Advertisement