MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2014, 08:11 PM   #1
pinball
I got slow

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Tuono 1000R

I think I want one. Don't get me wrong, I love my VStrom and ride the out of it, but after riding Mantoe's Z1000, the difference is incredible. Due to the weight and high center of gravity, I have to lean the out of my Vee. The Z1k was a completely different, effortless animal.

I know I'll lose comfort, storage and range (200 miles per tank). Are there reliability downsides to the 1000R? I'm looking at it for several reasons:

1. It's a twin
2. From what I've read, it's a very comfortable naked
3. It's a twin.
4. Longer maintenance intervals.
5. It's a twin.
6. It's more nimble than my Vee
7. It has 2 cylinders.

I don't want an I4 and I want a semi upright riding position, so it's pretty much the 1000R or stick with what I have.

Thoughts/experiences appreciated.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Tuono is broken in, who's ready this afternoon? Doodle Events, Meets and Rides 4 03-07-2015 08:40 PM
awesome Tuono review RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 01-27-2015 12:47 PM
TUONO Exhaust Test Neon Samurai General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 09-12-2013 08:41 AM
Thoughts on Aprilia RSV 1000r Factory alexb0i General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 01-21-2010 10:00 AM
Tuono owners... Sifu-TZ General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 02-04-2009 07:38 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2014, 08:27 PM   #2
VicTOEmizer

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

Old 06-10-2014, 08:41 PM   #3
ArkansasDave

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Their rotax motors are generally pretty good as long as you take care of them. They are gonna be heavier and somewhat under power compared to other liter bikes. Your range will be in the 90-110 mile range. My track bike has the same motor and I love it. Only reason to get one though is because you can't afford a v4.
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:00 PM   #4
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasDave View Post
Their rotax motors are generally pretty good as long as you take care of them. They are gonna be heavier and somewhat under power compared to other liter bikes. Your range will be in the 90-110 mile range. My track bike has the same motor and I love it. Only reason to get one though is because you can't afford a v4.
Awesome info.

~136 hp and 408# dry ain't shabby. Right now I'm sitting at 98 hp and 540# dry, plus a much higher COG. Even the twin would be a significant jump for me, and the insurance is much lower. I just don't like the revs of an I4. While the twin might not have the top end of the I4, corners have their limits regardless of the engine.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #5
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantoe View Post
Just means I'll be waiting longer for you to catch up.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:12 PM   #6
VicTOEmizer

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
Just means I'll be waiting longer for you to catch up.
This is true, but that's not why I was laughing. Glad you're making the switch. I think it will fit you well...
Old 06-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #7
ArkansasDave

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
Awesome info.

~136 hp and 408# dry ain't shabby. Right now I'm sitting at 98 hp and 540# dry, plus a much higher COG. Even the twin would be a significant jump for me, and the insurance is much lower. I just don't like the revs of an I4. While the twin might not have the top end of the I4, corners have their limits regardless of the engine.
That's for the newer ones and they are like 115whp and 74wtq. Definitely not bad just a lot less compared to the newer generation of bikes. I personally would love one if I rode street more.
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:38 PM   #8
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasDave View Post
That's for the newer ones and they are like 115whp and 74wtq. Definitely not bad just a lot less compared to the newer generation of bikes. I personally would love one if I rode street more.
Wheel or crank?
Old 06-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

racerx had one. Why a tuono? Tons of other better choices.

I am the naked , let me guide you into the world of nakeds. How much do you want to spend?
Old 06-11-2014, 02:35 PM   #10
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

I bought a new 08 Tuono back in 09. Put about 8 or 9k on it I believe. Never had a single problem with it. Power at the wheel was 118/80 with Akrapovic slip ons and mapping. Way more comfortable that the current gen tuonos because of the really wide seat. It doesn't have as much power as newer liter bikes but it is more than enough to get in trouble with and will wheelie everywhere. I liked how stable it was. Not an ounce of head shake anywhere unlike a lot of the sportier nakeds. You could be nasty with the controls and it still wouldn't upset the bike. Brakes were killer. I dumped it the first week because I pushed the front end on the brakes. I was used to my Suzuki brakes at the time and grabbed them like I was grabbing those Nissins and down I went. Crashes well too might I add. Cost me $500 to make it new again. Great bike and you can get them for cheap. May I suggest the Dream Blue with blue wheels. Best color combo they ever made.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #11
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
...I know I'll lose comfort, storage and range (200 miles per tank). Are there reliability downsides to the 1000R? I'm looking at it for several reasons:

1. It's a twin
2. From what I've read, it's a very comfortable naked
3. It's a twin.
4. Longer maintenance intervals.
5. It's a twin.
6. It's more nimble than my Vee
7. It has 2 cylinders.

I don't want an I4 and I want a semi upright riding position, so it's pretty much the 1000R or stick with what I have.

Thoughts/experiences appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Samurai View Post
...Why a tuono? Tons of other better choices...
He's given his reasoning and asked for downsides. If you have a suggestion that fits the criteria above, then make it. I'm always interested in hearing comparisons, but your statement of "Tons of other better choices" did not elaborate at all on what would be a better choice based on his criteria. Oh, and I think he wants a twin...
Old 06-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #12
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
I've had 2 RSVs

The motors are near indestructable except the sprag clutch.

To save the sprag clutch you need to make sure the bike always has a full battery

A stupid design means the cluster always draws on the battery so a battery tender is mandatory.

There are a few other minor niggles like the rear brake being , and it being hard to find neutral from a dead stop, as well.

Other than that...ride the wheels off them. With a chip and full exhaust they'll do about 126hp to the tire. Not amazing compared to modern litres, but plenty of nuts.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #13
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

From what I've read, it's one of the most comfortable nakeds out there. I don't need a speed demon (I4 or V4), and the reliability of the Tuono seems to be pretty good. Electrical gremlins will forever steer me away from Triumph. I'm just looking for something more capable in corners than what I have without sacrificing too much comfort. Oh, and I like v-twins. I haven't spent more than $6k on a bike (not including aftermarket bling), and I doubt I'd spend more than that on my next one.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #14
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
From what I've read, it's one of the most comfortable nakeds out there. I don't need a speed demon (I4 or V4), and the reliability of the Tuono seems to be pretty good. Electrical gremlins will forever steer me away from Triumph. I'm just looking for something more capable in corners than what I have without sacrificing too much comfort. Oh, and I like v-twins. I haven't spent more than $6k on a bike (not including aftermarket bling), and I doubt I'd spend more than that on my next one.
First gen tuonos can be had all day erryday for $3500. The second gens are a bit more. Most people think the first gens are kinda uggo, and you do get radial brakes on the 2nd gens. Honestly though: the non-radial brembos on the first gen are pretty good.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Liked this post:
Old 06-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #15
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
I bought a new 08 Tuono back in 09. Put about 8 or 9k on it I believe. Never had a single problem with it. Power at the wheel was 118/80 with Akrapovic slip ons and mapping. Way more comfortable that the current gen tuonos because of the really wide seat. It doesn't have as much power as newer liter bikes but it is more than enough to get in trouble with and will wheelie everywhere. I liked how stable it was. Not an ounce of head shake anywhere unlike a lot of the sportier nakeds. You could be nasty with the controls and it still wouldn't upset the bike. Brakes were killer. I dumped it the first week because I pushed the front end on the brakes. I was used to my Suzuki brakes at the time and grabbed them like I was grabbing those Nissins and down I went. Crashes well too might I add. Cost me $500 to make it new again. Great bike and you can get them for cheap. May I suggest the Dream Blue with blue wheels. Best color combo they ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby Racer View Post
I've had 2 RSVs

To save the sprag clutch you need to make sure the bike always has a full battery

A stupid design means the cluster always draws on the battery so a battery tender is mandatory.

There are a few other minor niggles like the rear brake being , and it being hard to find neutral from a dead stop, as well.

Other than that...ride the wheels off them. With a chip and full exhaust they'll do about 126hp to the tire. Not amazing compared to modern litres, but plenty of nuts.
Quote:
First gen tuonos can be had all day erryday for $3500. The second gens are a bit more. Most people think the first gens are kinda uggo, and you do get radial brakes on the 2nd gens. Honestly though: the non-radial brembos on the first gen are pretty good.
Awesome info. Thank you both.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:54 PM   #16
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
I've had 2 RSVs

I forgot about the rear brake. That was the only issue I had with the bike. It just doesn't work well. I think I read somewhere that the placement of the reservoir allows the fluid too get hot. Not really sure what causes it. But it doesn't matter much because you've got two big Brembo calipers and stainless lines up front. You can get a really nice Gen 2 for $5,500-$6k.

I had an SV1000 prior to that and it made it feel like a Toyota Corolla. I soon thought to myself, "what have I been doing with my life?"
Old 06-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #17
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
I forgot about the rear brake. That was the only issue I had with the bike. It just doesn't work well. I think I read somewhere that the placement of the reservoir allows the fluid too get hot. Not really sure what causes it. But it doesn't matter much because you've got two big Brembo calipers and stainless lines up front. You can get a really nice Gen 2 for $5,500-$6k.
it's not the reservoir. It's that the caliper is a ducati parts bin part that aprilia mounted upside down. If you take the caliper off, attach it to the rotor in such a way that the bleeder is on top, you can get a decent rear brake.

CMRA #302
Old 06-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #18
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
it's not the reservoir. It's that the caliper is a ducati parts bin part that aprilia mounted upside down. If you take the caliper off, attach it to the rotor in such a way that the bleeder is on top, you can get a decent rear brake.
That makes sense. I always wondered why it was mounted like that.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:23 PM   #19
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2014 BMW s1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
He's given his reasoning and asked for downsides. If you have a suggestion that fits the criteria above, then make it. I'm always interested in hearing comparisons, but your statement of "Tons of other better choices" did not elaborate at all on what would be a better choice based on his criteria. Oh, and I think he wants a twin...
Well if you going to quote me out of context sure...but i asked what has he looked at and what he wants to spend.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:26 PM   #20
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2014 BMW s1000R

Quote:
Thats what I was thinking when you choose Tuono, their resale value is really low. Althought 2006+ Speed Triples dont have many problems from my experience. Ive had buddies who had the older Tuonos..the old stator problem and lack of dealer network is the only downside..otherwise cool. Looks wise? Maybe a bit subjective, but I think they look a little boxy these days.

I saw you like the twin, so I guess that leaves the reliable z1000 out! Have you looked at old school Monsters?

Advertisement