MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2014, 12:51 AM   #1
TRDpilot
Member
 
TRDpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Waters Edge
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 27

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
Yamaha R6 - 2009 (Sold)




Member Garage





Good article for noobs!

Saw this and seems like a good read for noobs and experience riders (You can always learn something new)

http://gearpatrol.com/2013/06/10/how...-a-motorcycle/


Hope you like it
TRDpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good article for noobs! TRDpilot Motorcycle Articles 7 06-12-2014 09:27 AM
Good Riding tips for Noobs and all Riders: Questions Welcomed Blanco General Discussion (Moto Related) 33 07-13-2012 08:14 PM
Good MX track for noobs brandontx Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 13 02-08-2012 02:18 PM
Good Article On Downshifting! Patrick Taking it to the Track 8 12-13-2007 01:44 PM
Good Article On Downshifting! Patrick Motorcycle Articles 8 12-13-2007 01:44 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2014, 07:56 AM   #2
FLYIN'DUC
Senior Member
 
FLYIN'DUC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cleveland, Texas
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 6,254


Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa









thanks, hopefully this helps some
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:48 PM   #3
nameca2
Member
 
nameca2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 75

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
Ninja 300 SE









Good article.. always good to get a refresher. I have only been riding for a year. That is when I stopped driving my car and started commuting on my Ninja 300.

I know eventually I will go down. With that in mind... I do everything I can to keep my self from doing that. I am one of the riders I wear helmet, gloves, knee/shin armor, and over the ankle boots anytime I commute... There are only a handful of times I have rode with anything less than that... and that is usually when I go to the gym a few miles from my house. I however, don't judge people who go with less or no gear because that is their personal choice.

In one year I have put just under 24k miles on my 300, I have made noob mistakes ... both riding and proactive care of my bike. But I do my best to learn from my mistakes and move forward. At the end of this year I plan on buying another bike for next year (not quite sure how many miles you can put on a small 300...) so the learning process will continue for me.
nameca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-10-2014, 11:10 PM   #4
pinball
I got slow
 
pinball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SE
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 4,677

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2


Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)







You can get a lot of miles out of a bike as long as you maintain it. Oil, valves, etc. 24k in a year is a lot of seat time. The more you get, the better. Stay geared, remember what you've learned, and if you notice a particular sticking point...ask. There are plenty of experienced riders that can point you in the right direction. With your seat time, you should probably do a track day if you haven't already.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bun1t View Post
Shelnutt thinks mechanics should work for free
pinball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:11 PM   #5
pinball
I got slow
 
pinball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SE
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 4,677

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2


Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)







I do find it amusing that the author of this article uses the words, "twist of the wrist," then says, "Go buy this other book."
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bun1t View Post
Shelnutt thinks mechanics should work for free
pinball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:34 PM   #6
40acres
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Tomball, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,085


Bike(s):
2008 zx-6r
2011 kx250f
2006 zx-6r (R.I.P.)
2004 RM 125 (sold)






Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
I do find it amusing that the author of this article uses the words, "twist of the wrist," then says, "Go buy this other book."
I thought the same thing, lol.
40acres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:42 PM   #7
CraigRR
CMRA # 147
 
CraigRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Crosby
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 8,866

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP






Quote:
Originally Posted by nameca2 View Post
Good article.. always good to get a refresher. I have only been riding for a year. That is when I stopped driving my car and started commuting on my Ninja 300.

I know eventually I will go down. With that in mind... I do everything I can to keep my self from doing that. I am one of the riders I wear helmet, gloves, knee/shin armor, and over the ankle boots anytime I commute... There are only a handful of times I have rode with anything less than that... and that is usually when I go to the gym a few miles from my house. I however, don't judge people who go with less or no gear because that is their personal choice.

In one year I have put just under 24k miles on my 300, I have made noob mistakes ... both riding and proactive care of my bike. But I do my best to learn from my mistakes and move forward. At the end of this year I plan on buying another bike for next year (not quite sure how many miles you can put on a small 300...) so the learning process will continue for me.
Bumped your thank count. As riders we are always learning from previous mistakes. I had about 5 bad crashes when I was young. Haven't crashed on the street since. I'm not fast, but working on it at the track. The most important thing is to have fun.
__________________
BRAWP
CraigRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #8
KhmerStyle
Noob Riding Specialist
 
KhmerStyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Huffmeister and 290
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 580


Bike(s):
2007 R6
2007 zx6r wife's bike
Kawasaki zr7s RIP







Good read!
KhmerStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy