Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2014, 10:22 AM   #1
eiceman

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2016 KTM RC390

Lights won't turn on.

Yesterday while riding back from the heights, I noticed my forks wouldn't go full lock to the right, turns out this bad boy decided to remove itself from it's mounting point. When I came up to a car at a stop light I noticed that my low beam wasn't on anymore. Tried the high beam. Nothing. When I got the bike back to the house I inspected everything, all of my other lights work, even the third eye on the front, just not the headlights themselves. I removed the fairings and performed a visual inspection of the wiring in that area and couldn't find any reason why the lights would be out. Any suggestions/ help would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying the get the bike registered in Texas (bought it in California) before I head back there, with the bike, on the 24th.

Bike with the fairings off:
UDD9gED

Wire with insulation partially seperated, only visual thing I could find:
ruHkhzW

Side view:
Bl5xO5s

Bike with the power on but no lights (notice third eye on:
K0BejiZ
eiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike won't turn off with key or switch cbr1000rr Fireblade05 How To's and Q & A's 6 08-27-2013 09:53 PM
Ignition won't turn off kyle How To's and Q & A's 20 10-25-2010 08:19 PM
WOULD THE LAST HONEST REPORTER PLEASE TURN OUT THE LIGHTS FastLine The Circus 8 10-31-2008 11:11 AM
Electrical Help: Headlight won't turn on!!! FlipSideUp How To's and Q & A's 10 04-25-2008 10:41 PM
HelP! bike won't turn on :( Maverick How To's and Q & A's 42 11-15-2006 07:41 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #2
Yayo
Need a Ride?!

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2005 CBR600RR
2001 GSX-R 600 (Sold)

are they headlights HID?
Yayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #3
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Holy HUGE pictures!!! You said you performed a visual check of the wiring, but did you manually inspect the related wires to make sure that none of them pulled loose from the back of their respective plugs due to the stress of holding that fairing on? Do you have a volt meter? Do you have a basic test light to confirm where you're getting power?
Old 06-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #4
eiceman

Bike(s):
2016 KTM RC390

Stock lights. I really don't know anything about electrical systems I inspected the wires to the best of my ability, no volt meter, no test light.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:05 AM   #5
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

You can head to your nearest auto parts store and pick up a basic test light for less than $10, often under $5. It'll look like a screwdriver, an ice pick, and a table lamp had a 3 way and produced the test light as their offspring. Use that test light to confirm that you have power to the harness, power to the plug, and power beyond the plug. It is also possible that the shock that the bulbs received while they were bouncing around damaged the filaments causing your lights to fail. If you pull the bulbs to inspect, use rubber gloves to avoid leaving body oil on the bulbs as this can cause them to fail.

Here is an example of a basic test light FYI.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=186543_0_0_
Old 06-09-2014, 12:18 PM   #6
eiceman

Bike(s):
2016 KTM RC390

False alarm, fuse for the leadlight popped.

Advertisement