MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2014, 07:28 PM   #21
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefe View Post
I don't know what I could have done that the other 15-20 standing around couldn't do. I'm not trained as a first responder, I would've stopped if i could've helped. There were 10 people on their phones, with 5 people crowded around him. I would've just been another person standing around blocking traffic on 290.

A few months ago I saw a dude run a red light and side swiped a truck right in front of me. I got off to see if he was ok, called 911 and stayed there until the medics arrived.
Sorry if I came off a little negative. Every situation is different.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rider down!! 1960 and 290 hov exit meger! Rykoson General Discussion (Moto Related) 120 10-29-2014 01:31 PM
Who ran from a Sheriff in the Jones/290/West Road area this morning issanni General Discussion (Moto Related) 80 12-19-2007 08:02 PM
Rider dies after being thrown off bridge Racer X 05 General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 09-01-2007 04:38 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2014, 08:13 PM   #22
Slash24
Hotrodder

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
07' ZX-10r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
I have no medical training other than some CPR lessons long time ago. One morning riding to work on W. Little York, A rider went down just ahead of me - hit (or hit by) a garbage truck. I did stop to check up on him. Couldn't do much but talk to him a bit. Saw him tried to get something out of his jacket... figured out it was his phone. I help him get it out. He wanted to call his family. Young kid. I stayed by him probably 15min before the ambulance arrived and took over the scene.

I figured, if for nothing else, the sight of another rider there might possible offer a sliver of comfort, when there was none possibly to be had.
That is the right thing to do. Props to you. I saw on the news the other day a truck went off the road and flipped over in the ditch with rising flood waters. Nobody stopped to offer help except two officers on their way home. WTF is wrong with people these days? People just want to catch stuff on the phones so they can post online.
Slash24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:25 AM   #23
Jefe

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'12 Haro Flightline 29er
'09 R6 (sold)
'07 V-Star 1100 Custom (sold)
'01 F4i (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRR View Post
Sorry if I came off a little negative. Every situation is different.
It's cool Craig, no worries.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:30 AM   #24
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Don't want to suggest all of us should stop at every accident scene to help the rider. I stopped that time mostly because I got there almost right after. I was behind another vehicle so I didn't see exact what happened, but when I rolled up, the garbage truck was still moving a bit, and then the driver jumped out. If this was 15mins later, and there were already a gaggle of folks there, and the police/amb pulling up, I probably would've just kept going.

Do what your gut feels is right.

Just don't rubberneck. Nothing aggravates me more than drivers with morbid curiosity slowing down to a crawl to ogle at a wreck - on the other side of the fwy - tying up traffic 3 miles back.

Anyhow, this was it. I took this just before I left the business parking lot where I parked my bike. Never did find out what happened to the kid and whether he's a MHer.

attachmentphp?attachmentid66327&ampd1363699789

Last edited by Volfy; 06-06-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:40 PM   #25
seanmc

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
03 r6
raptor 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRR View Post
I'm glad I'm trained as a first responder and not a Facebook poster.
So, I'm also a trained first responder (certs coming out of my ears with many many many many hours of trauma courses), I'm really dying to know what it is that you would have done to save this man's life out of your POV from a 40+ foot fall after hitting a concrete wall? Hold c spine?
seanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:11 AM   #26
yamafx4dude

Bike(s):
R6

The first time I rode that HOV, I almost crashed at that exact same spot. You come up on a 90 degree turn quickly from hwy speeds. He probably high sided over by braking and turning because that's almost what I did.
yamafx4dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #27
kingworm
last seen being stupid

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
92 vulcan vn 750
1981 cb 400

honestly as someone emergency trained in this sitution best thing you can do without gear is make sure some idiot doesnt try and move the rider if theres a back or spinal injury it can mean the difference between a cane and a wheelchair and voicebox. id say biggest concern in this situation would be brain swelling to combat that they like putting you into a artificial coma. not something my band aid and burn cream in my little first aid box will help lol
kingworm is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement