MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #21
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Yep, Kawasaki frames never break. Right?

If welded properly, there shouldn't be an issue. Quite a few years back (around '02 or '03, IIRC) a friend's dad had just bought a new Goldwing 1800. There was a recall and he had to take the bike somewhere near Dallas (lived in Midland) so the bike could be fully disassembled, and all aluminum welds cut down and re-welded. Guess that was cheaper for Honda than replacing the frames.

Last edited by Jae; 06-06-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP: Need frame checked to see if bent/cracked RayBusa General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 12-30-2013 10:56 AM
How much does cracked frame drop pice of a bike? Jason_Canuck General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 06-10-2009 03:22 PM
What is the this nut welded to my frame? pics included MudBug General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 02-03-2009 07:38 AM
Frame cracked?!?!?! ZiXxer Six How To's and Q & A's 29 03-20-2008 08:25 AM
I cracked a safe!!! (pics) Ramius Off Topic 127 03-11-2006 05:40 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #22
chevy42083

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

These guys were really easy to work with (I was just having a titanium exhaust can fixed though). Saw a couple stunt bikes there, and they seemed to be able to work on anything. Located in NW Houston

http://www.americanheliarc.com/
Old 06-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #23
TardinLA
BLACK AND PROUD

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
CRF450R SM
CRF Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
Watch over a good welder? Lol. The dude wouldn't know mig from tig as far as I can tell. What would he watch over the welder for? Lol. Everyone that is quick to say they wouldn't trust it doesn't know much about welding honestly. Something has been applied to that weld from what I can see. It's also extremely rare for a weld to fail in the manor this one appears to have failed. I would grind, bevel, and re weld. I could get an x ray shot for free. Maybe the op knows an rt hand that can help him out when the repair is done. If not, start looking for a clean frame to swap over to.
Exactly. We trust a lot more lives to things like this everyday.
TardinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #24
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

only issue here is to find a good welder,
, welds hold just about everything around us, heavy structures
high pressure pipes, the crack is on the weld, so the weld is ,
it should not break on the weld, it shall have more tensile strength than than base metal,
if it is the original weld, then all remaining welds should be inspected
if it is a new weld, then the welder suck donkey dirty , and inspect remaining welds (you just cant be too careful).

grind it, bevel, clean, weld and ndt, PRESTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #25
QuickMick
League City

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
XR650L SUMO
Zuma big bore hittin 62mph
Square Nose SJ
B1
B2

Quote:
Watch over a good welder? Lol. The dude wouldn't know mig from tig as far as I can tell. What would he watch over the welder for? Lol. Everyone that is quick to say they wouldn't trust it doesn't know much about welding honestly. Something has been applied to that weld from what I can see. It's also extremely rare for a weld to fail in the manor this one appears to have failed. I would grind, bevel, and re weld. I could get an x ray shot for free. Maybe the op knows an rt hand that can help him out when the repair is done. If not, start looking for a clean frame to swap over to.
Blue is correct. As a CWI Lvl II nde that weld could be repaired with the correct prep and weld and welder.

But yea why did it break to begin with?? Something vibrating, or the bike ever laid down?
QuickMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #26
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Can this cracked frame be repaired or welded? (pics inside)

Pester is Cwi/API also. I'm a 3 cert API. I'm sure we know a thing or 2 combined
Old 06-10-2014, 02:40 PM   #27
Slash24
Hotrodder

Bike(s):
07' ZX-10r

It's still intact and everything so I don't know serious it is and if it should be welded or scrapped.

You have to get that fixed. With the one side cracked, the other side is taking the full load of stress so it may fail which is no good for you. Aluminum gets rewelded all the time in motorsports but you will have to find someone that knows what they are doing. Jeff Naiser who owns NRC Racing does some really nice fabrication with aluminum. He is a drag racing guy but I would trust what he says if it can be fixed or has to be replaced.

http://www.naiser-racing.com/

713-688-8383
Slash24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #28
supadupa

Feedback Rating: (3)

Repairing the weld is the least of your problems.

That part of the frame doesn't damage without other damage elsewhere. Doubt that the frame is straight anymore.

I'd get frame guys to look at it. Betting its toast though

cyclecollision.com
supadupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-10-2014, 04:05 PM   #29
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Normally that may be the case. Judging by this weld that isnt a certainty. This weld was to begin with.
bluewave18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #30
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Normally that may be the case. Judging by this weld that isnt a certainty. This weld was to begin with.
I tried to point out that IF it is an FZ1, there is a thread about them cracking. The link was posted earlier.

OP - What bike make/model is this?

If it was a crappy weld from the factory, they will usually take care of it, even if bought used.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #31
supadupa

Feedback Rating: (3)

nm
supadupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:37 PM   #32
Joecango
Yes, its fast!

Bike(s):
'02 GSXR 1k
'97 HD Lowrider

From what I am seeing it is definately a linear indication.I don't see any seperation or shiny base metal in the indication but that could be from paint being applied to a crack. There is a difference in the color. To all my CWI/API brothers my question is could it be undercut? Without seeing it with my own eyes I can't make that call. The first thing I would do is PT it. If its deep it will bleed if not you're good. If it is a bleeder then I would have no problem grinding down to good metal and doing a prep, root and final PT and welding that bad boy up if it was mine. Without seeing it and knowing the history I can't make any call though so it's just my opinion from an ex welder turned inspector.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #33
Jredford
Rotsevnieht

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
FZ1
R1200RT
CRF450X Tard
R6 Friggin Rocket Ship
CRMA Lic #622

It an Fz1. Common problem esp. With the 2006 model.

"Racing is life... everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in 'Le Mans'
Jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 06-10-2014, 08:54 PM   #34
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Can this cracked frame be repaired or welded? (pics inside)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecango View Post
From what I am seeing it is definately a linear indication.I don't see any seperation or shiny base metal in the indication but that could be from paint being applied to a crack. There is a difference in the color. To all my CWI/API brothers my question is could it be undercut? Without seeing it with my own eyes I can't make that call. The first thing I would do is PT it. If its deep it will bleed if not you're good. If it is a bleeder then I would have no problem grinding down to good metal and doing a prep, root and final PT and welding that bad boy up if it was mine. Without seeing it and knowing the history I can't make any call though so it's just my opinion from an ex welder turned inspector.
No point in a pt before welding. It's a crack. Clearly. Skip the bs and grind a bevel. From the pic it could easily be a cap only weld maybe laid too cold with a hollow bead. I don't think its undercut at all. I've been inspecting for 16 years
Old 06-10-2014, 09:32 PM   #35
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

wanna use my electron beam welder? i think its the only one in texas, there might be another one. gunna cost you though
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:22 PM   #36
Track_Graphics

Quote:
If you can find a good (professional) welder you can proverbially "stand-over-his-shoulder"
Figure of speech. It's even in quotes. I guess that if you didn't pick it up - maybe I should bring down the intellect level a notch or two. TMAW-GMAW isn't the point.
To be clear as beer - The meaning is, get him (welder dood) to care about his work because he understands his work is on the line now when it comes to safety, and you're wary.
But, Mr. Wave - I think we both said basically the same thing. If the weld isn't trustworty for whatever reason, even if it just freaks you to be riding on it - time for a Kaw. I just got a 2010 ZX10 Friday. Smoooooooth....
Old 06-10-2014, 11:25 PM   #37
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

PFirst get the frame checked. If is straight. Then get a good welder and get it done
No meaning to dump the frame for a weld.
Welds get repaired everyday. Just weld it and ride it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:12 AM   #38
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy42083 View Post
These guys were really easy to work with (I was just having a titanium exhaust can fixed though). Saw a couple stunt bikes there, and they seemed to be able to work on anything. Located in NW Houston

http://www.americanheliarc.com/
I've used them before. Recommended.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:07 AM   #39
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track_Graphics View Post
If you can find a good (professional) welder you can proverbially "stand-over-his-shoulder"
Figure of speech. It's even in quotes. I guess that if you didn't pick it up - maybe I should bring down the intellect level a notch or two. TMAW-GMAW isn't the point.
To be clear as beer - The meaning is, get him (welder dood) to care about his work because he understands his work is on the line now when it comes to safety, and you're wary.
But, Mr. Wave - I think we both said basically the same thing. If the weld isn't trustworty for whatever reason, even if it just freaks you to be riding on it - time for a Kaw. I just got a 2010 ZX10 Friday. Smoooooooth....
Talk about my level. lol You're a idiot as far as I can tell. You talk out your and then refer to "my" level.
bluewave18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:14 AM   #40
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*