MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2014, 12:03 PM   #1
shaokang
Head narwhal in charge

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
None :(
05 636 RIP
13 675R Daytona.

Squealing Brakes on New Bike

Hello all,

I've had my bike for around 1200 miles, and both brakes started squealing for some odd reason. The rear squeals every time when I'm close to coming to a stop. The front sometimes does, sometimes it doesn't. I have ABS on my bike. Any idea what could be the issue? I don't ride that hard, so I doubt the brakes are worn. Bike is a Triumph Daytona 675.
shaokang is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Doing brakes Reemdog General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 05-20-2010 11:54 PM
Need help, front brakes locked up on race bike. DustinJ How To's and Q & A's 18 08-26-2008 11:03 PM
Problem with bike jerking- brakes DANtheMan. General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 07-17-2008 01:31 PM
Squealing noice from drum brakes. Help!! drojas324 How To's and Q & A's 6 09-14-2007 11:19 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2014, 10:12 PM   #2
El Pachuco

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Kawasaki ZRX 1200R

it could be due to your style of braking. light, even brake pressure starting long before you need to? that will glaze a brake pad. especially if that new pad has never been broken in with some sort of aggressive braking, from the start.

or, the pads need some anti-squeal spooge on the back side. probably this. you can try douching the pads and caliper with copious amounts of water and then drying them with compressed air.
but it's nothing serious that you should be overly concerned with. certainly not a dangerous situation.
El Pachuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
D-Man

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2012 Multistrada 1200S
2012 Vespa GTS 300
2004 Husky 450 smr (track)

Brake pads

Yeah, definitely the pads. It's just something a lot of brake pads do. My Ducati does the exact same thing- a little noisy just before coming to a stop- especially if I haven't ridden it in a while, and rust or dirt has built up on the rotors. I had a car that did the exact same thing. Only 30-40k miles on the car, and the front pads were worn down. Squealing pretty bad. Took it to one of those "Just Brakes" places, payed them a ton for new pads (I didn't ask what kind), resurfacing the rotors, the works. Lasted about a week, and then started squealed like a SOB again, every time I would use the brakes. Took it to a Midas and had them put on much better quality, ceramic pads, and never heard a peep from them afterwards. Those pads are going on 60k miles now, and still strong. If it really bothers you, and spraying the stuff/cleaning them doesn't help, you could always put on higher end- ceramic/kevlar/carbon /whatever pads. Not that expensive, maybe $30-40 a set, I believe. It did wonders for my car, I know.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #4
351fox
BRAWP BRAWP

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

06 gsxr 750

Assuming braking feels normal in the lever, try some speed limit to 20 braking a few times on empty back roads to see if it's just the pads needing to still bed in or knock off rotor rust type stuff
Old 06-05-2014, 04:49 PM   #5
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Often when brakes squeel, it's because dust has built up in the calipers and behind the pads. In that case, disassembling and thorough cleaning may help.
Or you can grit your teeth and ignore it, as mentioned it's annoying but won't hurt anything.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:07 PM   #6
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Wear them hos in
Old 06-05-2014, 08:51 PM   #7
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

^^^ What he said
Old 06-07-2014, 07:01 PM   #8
shaokang
Head narwhal in charge

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
None :(
05 636 RIP
13 675R Daytona.

I've tried braking really hard, but that didn't make it go away. I'll clean them with some water, if not shouldn't be a lot of work to take the pads out and clean the backsides. Thanks for the input guys. Was worried that the pads were already worn lol. I also do tend to brake a little earlier than necessary sometimes lol. If no one's behind me.
shaokang is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement