MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
laulie

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600
09 yz450f

K6 GSXR 600 brakes rubbing.

I have an 06 gsxr 600 that the brakes are rubbing on, by rubbing I mean with the bike on the stands you can try and spin the wheel as hard as you can, the wheel will spin about 1/4 revolution and stop. It is also hard to rotate just by hand.

The bike has a Braking MC6601 master cylinder and new EBC pads.

I have done a lot of research and tried several things, so far this is what I have tried:

Disassembling the calipers, flushing the passages, cleaning the pistons. I've done this 3 times now to make sure there wasn't anything in the lines getting back in them. They have been spotless every time.

Replacing the new cheap pads that I had bought with new EBC pads. The guide pins are greased.

Pulled the master cylinder apart, cleaned the piston and all the passages.

Flushed all of the lines.

Put a run out gauge on the rotors to verify that they are not warped.

I've even read that the front wheel not being centered could cause this, so I tried every way I found to center the wheel, loosening the pinch bolts hitting the brakes then bouncing the front wheel.

Nothing has made any difference at all, I've even had some friends come over that claimed to be experts on bike brakes, lol.

Oh and of course they have been bled about 20 times, using vacuum and conventional ways with the fittings Teflon taped.

I'm really clueless as to what I should even try at this point. If I cannot figure it out by the weekend I will get some 2012 brembo calipers and a new brembo master cylinder. Any pointers on anything to even try is appreciated.

Thanks!
laulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rubbing front brakes plummer How To's and Q & A's 29 03-02-2012 12:47 AM
K6 GSXR-600 Coolant Concerns chingwa14 General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 09-12-2011 11:21 AM
FI light on k6 gsxr 600 tsuki zuki How To's and Q & A's 0 10-19-2008 06:36 PM
k6 gsxr 600 engine swap ??? 02hondacivic Performance and Modifications 5 10-17-2007 11:36 AM
k6 600 swap to 750?? 02hondacivic How To's and Q & A's 3 10-15-2007 11:14 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2014, 04:57 PM   #2
laulie

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600
09 yz450f

Sorry, did not specify. This is the front brakes that are totally sucking.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:58 PM   #3
Racerxxx
CMRA #92

Feedback Rating: (1)

Nevermined. Didnt finish reading

Could be the axle? Or perhaps one of the forks is just slightly higher then the other.

Last edited by Racerxxx; 05-29-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Racerxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #4
laulie

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600
09 yz450f

Sorry, forgot to say I did check the axle. I bought the bike new and have never messed with the forks but I will go check just incase one shifted. Good idea.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:27 PM   #5
Racerxxx
CMRA #92

Feedback Rating: (1)

Dont think I read you say anything about the bearings. I know thats super simple but just incase you havnt checked. First thing I would have checked was the pistons as well. Some bikes just have alot of drag, I know mine doesnt spin very much either.

ALso make sure your not over tightening the axle or pinch bolts.
Racerxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:37 PM   #6
Falcon
Getcha Pull

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06 R6 (Track)
KTM 450 sx-f (street)

I've never had an issue like that so I'm not going to try and throw advice at you. I will say that if you don't make any head way, unless you just have money to throw at it with parts, take it to one of the sponsors like Motorcycles Unlimited, etc. It could be something quite simple and cost you nothing but their time rather than buying hundreds of dollars worth of parts and it turns out to be a improperly torqued fastener or something else foolish. It's happens to everyone and is sometimes hard to notice the small things when your frustrated.

Good Luck!
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #7
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

You'll get 10 different answers of what to do and they'll all be wrong. So here ya go...

Remove the calipers and spray them real good with brake cleaner. Remove the anti rattle clips and toss them. Then push the pistons back in with a flathead. Reinstall. Loosen the axle nut a bit and do the same with the pinch bolts. Let the bike off the stand and bounce the front so everything gets aligned. Retighten the axle nut and don't over torque it. Same with the pinch bolts. When you put it back on the stand SLOWLY pump the front brakes. It should solve the issue. Anyone who does a lot of wheel swaps with GSXRs has suffered them same thing and this stupid routine is the solution. If that doesn't fix it your rotor or wheel is bent.

Edit: I see you bounced the front. Try it again. It didn't always work the first time for me.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 05-29-2014, 05:42 PM   #8
laulie

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600
09 yz450f

I understand what you are saying for sure! The wheel is torqued to 72ft/lbs and the pinch bolts at 16 I believe. Patrick is actually the one who installed my master cylinder and did my brakes that last time. They were great.. I just didnt want to take it to a shop over something as simple as brakes.. really not much to them, guess I might have to though.

Racer, I know they should be making contact.. these things glow at night on the freeway lol.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:47 PM   #9
laulie

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600
09 yz450f

cdill35, I did only try it once. Also I did install the clips from the old pads to the new ebcs. I will remove those, try to realign the wheel and post again. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2014, 08:17 PM   #10
laulie

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600
09 yz450f

Ok, note to anyone messing with the front wheel on a gsxr. Bounce the out of it.. I've wasted 10+ hours messing with brakes and was just about to buy a new system. It spins almost 100% freely. Thanks cdill!
Old 05-29-2014, 10:36 PM   #11
ninenine
cmra expert

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike

As mentioned by Brandt, this is a common issue on the gsxr. When I switched to floating rotors, it eliminated all that bs.

Glad you got it fixed!
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Sponsors:HoPD,P1 Racing,SCRC,Pirelli,Arai,BD Racing,Vesrah,Vortex,VP Race Fuels,Optimal Racing,Motul
ninenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement