MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2014, 08:57 AM   #21
Eric6R

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4-8 months

140 hp is not going to be streetable without installing reed blocks (sure don't look like they are there) didn't have them from factory. Gast builds drag motors and they are NOT very streetable. Having reed blocks installed will fix this and your wallet. If you can not fabricate you are going to spend an load of money on this bike. I have never seen one of these built by Santiago for sale that was WOW. What I would call wow though is the kwikasfaki bike built by cabby in England you can see his build thread on customfighters.com. He put a gast mtr. In as well and wasn't going with reeds but changed his mind. A TRUELY awesome build. Without the reeds to make that kind of HP it requires some intake porting to increase intake timing and will "double carbureate" and have an extremely low end and kick you in the up top. Great down the strip but SUCKS for the street. Most of the gast mtrs. are more in the 120-130 hp range after blocks and 38 mm flats good luck. I'm acquiring parts for my own triple build myself. Big money. Lots of time
Eric6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cafe racer darklineninja Vintage / Cafe Racers 13 08-31-2011 04:02 PM
Cafe racer anyone? logan5 General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 10-08-2008 12:23 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-28-2014, 09:34 AM   #22
blensen
Oil Boiler

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
1997 Bandit 1200

blensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:38 AM   #23
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Several pictures of this bike online show the shift lever in a more useable position, is it even connected at the linkage or just laying on the pipe? Based on my understanding this thing MIGHT get 12MPG on a good day, I guess you'll be premixing directly into the tank? Eric6R is right, this thing is going to suck on the low end and hit hard on the top end. I can't imagine it being very much fun on the street with that sort of power curve. Let me know what spark plugs you're running, I'll go ahead a buy a few shares of stock in that company now as you'll be fouling those like it's going out of style! To correct one of my previous assumptions, I did read that Gast built the exhaust for that bike, if that is correct it should work well with that engine combo. That is going to scream with those tiny silencers!
Old 05-28-2014, 10:22 AM   #24
Eric6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
Several pictures of this bike online show the shift lever in a more useable position, is it even connected at the linkage or just laying on the pipe? Based on my understanding this thing MIGHT get 12MPG on a good day, I guess you'll be premixing directly into the tank? Eric6R is right, this thing is going to suck on the low end and hit hard on the top end. I can't imagine it being very much fun on the street with that sort of power curve. Let me know what spark plugs you're running, I'll go ahead a buy a few shares of stock in that company now as you'll be fouling those like it's going out of style! To correct one of my previous assumptions, I did read that Gast built the exhaust for that bike, if that is correct it should work well with that engine combo. That is going to scream with those tiny silencers!
I've started doing quite a bit of research on these so I'm not going into a build without counting cost. It is my understanding that more mods will be needed to premix as the oil pump also serves lubricating purposes. I was 2-5 years old when these came out so I still have some research and learning too.
Liked this post:
Old 05-28-2014, 10:42 AM   #25
TardinLA
BLACK AND PROUD

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
CRF450R SM
CRF Fiddy

I want to ride it before you get reeds on it. It has no choice other than to be a cheek clincher.
TardinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:51 AM   #26
Eric6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TardinLA View Post
I want to ride it before you get reeds on it. It has no choice other than to be a cheek clincher.
From my understanding you don't loose top end power from properly installed reeds you just get it much sooner and it stays all the way through without sliming the carbs up. It won't be slower just WAY more rideable an RELIABLE.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:57 PM   #27
RustinR
250 rolling track chicane

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2003 Honda RC51
2011 Honda CBR250R (track bike)
1972 Kawasaki H2 Cafe Racer

I'm all for rideable and reliable! That doesn't look like a small mod though. I notice Cabby's seems to have that done. I think this bike was likely inspired by his build, of course the key difference is that his is well-engineered.

As for the shifter, the linkage is disconnected in that picture. I'll post a pic of it re-hooked, but it's still a clearance issue as you can't really get your foot underneath the peg to lift-up. I'm hoping this has a reverse-pattern, or can be converted to on reasonably easily.

The pipes have no silencers at all. The little chrome things are just some VW-bug (probably what they're from) style exhaust pipe tips. There was a video of this thing posted with the ad showing it running, and it seemed loud from the video's vantage point on the second floor of a building. It'll be fun to ride this to work sometime and see how many car / house / smoke alarms I set off in the process.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:45 PM   #28
Eric6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinR View Post
I'm all for rideable and reliable! That doesn't look like a small mod though. I notice Cabby's seems to have that done. I think this bike was likely inspired by his build, of course the key difference is that his is well-engineered.

As for the shifter, the linkage is disconnected in that picture. I'll post a pic of it re-hooked, but it's still a clearance issue as you can't really get your foot underneath the peg to lift-up. I'm hoping this has a reverse-pattern, or can be converted to on reasonably easily.

The pipes have no silencers at all. The little chrome things are just some VW-bug (probably what they're from) style exhaust pipe tips. There was a video of this thing posted with the ad showing it running, and it seemed loud from the video's vantage point on the second floor of a building. It'll be fun to ride this to work sometime and see how many car / house / smoke alarms I set off in the process.
The reed blocks are not a small/cheap mod. But your eng has been ported. It would not come close to those HP numbers without it. If memory is right they were less than 100 stock. Which means if you want to ride it you will almost have to do it. The low end is going to just bog. It will not be fun to ride anywhere except in a straight line full throttle. As it sits it's a drag racing engine. A bad one at that.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #29
Eric6R

If you research it I think there are reeds that don't need the blocks installed I found an everything triple website that I seen these. I'll post it after lunch. All the high quality street builds I've seen use the blocks tho
Old 05-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #30
Eric6R

Kawtriple.com under vendors hit speciality. I think it's aylor engineering in New Mexico. Anyway this website will be a valuable resource to any triple owner. Lots of info there.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #31
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by little6 View Post
The guys at blip are cool as . If you want to stop by for advice or pointers give them a call. If you want to have someone do it for you call on cycle sports.

http://www.cyclesportsofhouston.com/
they have built a few of our bikes on here.
Ya, that's who Bluepine relies on, I'm pretty sure. And his bikes get ridden on the regular to meets and run errands around town.

Advertisement