Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2014, 10:07 PM   #1
RustinR
250 rolling track chicane

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2003 Honda RC51
2011 Honda CBR250R (track bike)
1972 Kawasaki H2 Cafe Racer

Question 1972 Kawasaki H2 Cafe Racer - Need Professional Help MH!!!

I bought this bike on eBay a couple years back, you may have seen it in pictures in a Cafe Racer mag or website, I think it was featured on an episode of Cafe Racer TV when it was being built. It's a 1972 Kawasaki H2 750 two-stroke triple engine (allegedly a 140 HP drag-bike motor built by Paul Gast) put into a 1989 Suzuki GSXR 1100 frame with the suspension adapted from a Ducati Hypermotard 1100 (not sure what year). It as built by Alan Bernard from Santiago Choppers in Florida (in case you're considering a bike from them...wouldn't recommend). A bit of a frankenracer all-in-all, a good concept, but don't let the pretty face fool you, she's got some issues.

I'm reaching out to hire the services one one of our many talented bike builders / modifiers / customizers in the Houston area to get the many issues with this bike fixed and get it to the top level it can potentially be...or at least get it out of my dining room and street-legal where I can ride it (which is what I bought it for in the first place).

picturephp?albumid1171&amppictureid6050

The short list of the issues is below, the pics are the ones which I originally sent to the guy I bought it from to show all the problems that I was unhappy about...I didn't receive much of a reply (go figure). The bike looks great, but isn't engineered at all.

For starters, it's missing the left-side motor-mount on the transmission...probably the most critical motor mount of all as it holds the engine in place against the chain's tension:

picturephp?albumid1171&amppictureid6051

Next, the chain doesn't align well with the frame so it rubs top & bottom:

picturephp?albumid1171&amppictureid6052

It needs a front brake reservoir, kill switch, turn signals, and I'd like a tach / speedo (like one of those from Dakota Digital or Koso..something like that):

picturephp?albumid1171&amppictureid6053

Also needs a key-switch to actually ride around in town! Not sure what the other switch does, possibly the high-beam.

picturephp?albumid1171&amppictureid6054

The rear-sets really need to be relocated, they're too far back for comfort / operability, plus they don't clear the kick-start on the right or the exhaust on the left.

picturephp?albumid1171&amppictureid6055

Like I said, that's the short list. The cabling needs to be re-worked as there's no tie-downs like an OEM bike, and the cables just rub everywhere. Presently the throttle cables aren't screwed into the carbs, they just have blind ferrules attached, so that will need to be re-cabled. I'm looking for a proposal / time / cost estimate by one of our awesome moto-businesses on the forum who can install / correct / re-do this to where's it actually functions as it looks like it should. I'll gladly bring it by for inspection / ideas / proposals. I unfortunately didn't buy the bike with the intention of it being a project, and after looking at the issues, really need some professional help anyway.

Anyone interested in a project?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cafe racer darklineninja Vintage / Cafe Racers 13 08-31-2011 04:02 PM
Cafe racer anyone? logan5 General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 10-08-2008 12:23 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2014, 05:26 AM   #2
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Shame you can't ride it. I hope you didn't have to pay too much for it
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

Your best bet will Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited. He is also a builder if I recall correctly and can fix that bike easy.
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:12 AM   #4
nwall1

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 aprilia shiver 750
2002 cr250 (sold)
2003 rc51 (sold)

looks like the left side shift lever rest on the exhaust to. beautiful bike sucks to hear you cant ride it
nwall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:37 AM   #5
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

good looking bike. . .poorly executed build. I'd be off if all of that wasn't clearly stated in the sellers description.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
While I think Patrick is a of a mechanic, this to me seems more like one-off fab stuff than repair. In my mind, your best bet is going to be Andy at Metric Cycles in the heights. He seems to have a better selection of machine shop and welding tools which appears to be what you need.

Personal opinion, this.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:56 AM   #7
eclou

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2005 CBR 600 F4i
2013 S1000rr

One other guy you might try. Randy at Lonestar Metalworks in Spring Branch. He is primarily a welder but does a lot of custom bike fabrications. They guy is a master welder

915 Gessner Suite 470
Houston, TX 77024
(713)722-7454
eclou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #8
Grindio

Bike(s):
03 KTM 625 SXC motard "Vuvuzela"
03 KTM 50 SX
15 KTM 1290 Sup Adv "Snow White" 07 BMW R1200RT "Magic Carpet"

07 TTR90 12 TTR110

Randy at Lonestar Metalwerkz
Grindio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #9
Deadfred
Drop Dead or Die Trying

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Ducati EVO

There is a local forum member here that does stuff like this.
If you want his phone number, PM me.
Here is his website:
www.kineticmotorcycles.com
Deadfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #10
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

Blip Workshop Fabs cafe racers all day long.

https://www.facebook.com/blipworkshop
Old 05-27-2014, 01:41 PM   #11
Deadfred
Drop Dead or Die Trying

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Ducati EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Samurai View Post
Blip Workshop Fabs cafe racers all day long.

https://www.facebook.com/blipworkshop
Not really what I would do. These guys are neat, but it would take much longer for the OP to get the work done. Plus this is more of a community shop of hobbyists, not professionals.
Deadfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #12
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Cool bike. I hope you get it straight.
bluewave18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:26 PM   #13
little6

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
k6 600 gixxer (now a Theif owns it)
2011 gsxr 600
1976 cb360
250 track bike

The guys at blip are cool as . If you want to stop by for advice or pointers give them a call. If you want to have someone do it for you call on cycle sports.

http://www.cyclesportsofhouston.com/
they have built a few of our bikes on here.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #14
RustinR

Bike(s):
2003 Honda RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
good looking bike. . .poorly executed build. I'd be off if all of that wasn't clearly stated in the sellers description.
Yeah, I was ! I tried to return it, get some money back...something. In the end, there isn't much recourse you have as far as motorcycles are concerned with eBay, all of their 'guarantees' are designed around car sales. Buyer beware I guess.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:09 PM   #15
ace motor work

A friend of mine sent me the link to this post saying that you were in need of help. I work for Ace motor works. We are a shop in the heights that actually deals with a lot of these situations. Stop by some time. 927 Winston st. Houston, tx 713 864 7730
ace motor work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:28 PM   #16
MoreyFan

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR
Ducati Monster

The repairs are straight forward in that it is clear what has to be done, except for the rear sets.

Where can they go on this bike? Those expansion chambers are gonna be a problem for wherever they end up.

That bike looks slick, too bad it needed so much finish work. Pretty shamful for a shop to sell it with those major issues.
MoreyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #17
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Moving the rear sets will be far easier than reworking the exhaust, but I have a feeling that those pipes aren't correct for the (allegedly) built engine in the first place. Building new triples (I assume there are 3 pipes, correct?) won't be cheap by any stretch of the imagination. The kickstart lever can be reworked to clear the brake lever, or the brake lever could be replaced with a shorter unit. It almost looks as if you have holes drilled for the missing engine mount bolt but it appears as if the mounting bracket is MIA. I hope you get this thing sorted out...a 140HP 750cc 2 stroke triple is going to make for an interesting experience the first time you get "on the pipe"!
Old 05-27-2014, 10:12 PM   #18
RustinR

Bike(s):
2003 Honda RC51

Wow, thanks for all the responses! I knew we had some great fab talent in Houston, I didn't realize we had so much! Yeesch... I regret shopping for my Cafe Racer desires online...should have just had one built here! Chubby Racer is right though, this will require some machining capability I think, as that engine mount is going to be a bit tricky...there's no easy spot to mount it to handily (probably why the builder just left it). Anyway, I have some calls to make it looks like. Thanks!
Old 05-27-2014, 10:21 PM   #19
RustinR

Bike(s):
2003 Honda RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
Moving the rear sets will be far easier than reworking the exhaust, but I have a feeling that those pipes aren't correct for the (allegedly) built engine in the first place. Building new triples (I assume there are 3 pipes, correct?) won't be cheap by any stretch of the imagination. The kickstart lever can be reworked to clear the brake lever, or the brake lever could be replaced with a shorter unit. It almost looks as if you have holes drilled for the missing engine mount bolt but it appears as if the mounting bracket is MIA. I hope you get this thing sorted out...a 140HP 750cc 2 stroke triple is going to make for an interesting experience the first time you get "on the pipe"!
The rear-sets are a scabbed-on set of Gilles, no idea what bike they were originally made for, I have a feeling there may be a set that will come pretty close to fitting the original mounting spots, may still need some adjustment brackets to clear the swing arm....still that would put them in a better spot than where they are. The holes you can see are where the sidestand is currently fit...it may be a good bracket spot though, the material is pretty thick there. The original engine brackets are still fit to the frame, they're just more in the center, and not being used for the most part...so there's some options.

I've thought about that first 'on the pipe' experience...

....I'll have to e-a-s-e into it.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:17 AM   #20
TardinLA
BLACK AND PROUD

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
CRF450R SM
CRF Fiddy

Back in my sand dragging days I piloted a few built H2's. You better hold on to your nuts.
140 horses is one thing on a smooth inline 4, whole nother animal on an explosive 2 stroke.

Last edited by TardinLA; 05-28-2014 at 07:20 AM.
TardinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement