MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #1
SideVinder650

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

Obvious/Not So Obvious Reason for size of Countershaft gear socket?

Hey guys,

I was reading a few build threads and i noticed that the ninja 250 and ninja 500 have like a size 8 socket with two bolts that secures the sprocket to the bike.

Is this a small set of bolts because theres not much displacement moving the sprocket? I cant figure out why, for example, on the sv650 the countershaft socket size is 36mm

The only reason i can come up with is displacement requiring this socket to be so big, i can only assume its the same size or bigger on super sports and litre bikes, has anyone noticed any thing that similar or that would make them think otherwise?

Im curious to know why these bolts are so big on some bikes, and very small and easy to remove on others. This would be a big deciding factor (for me) on future purchase of bikes, how easy it is to remove that nut, on a ninja 250 (especially since they updated the body work and they look so great) would be a much better purchase long term for wrenching on your own bike (smaller investment in tools etc etc.)