Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Safety Corner Main
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2007, 01:26 AM   #61
andrave

Feedback Rating: (0)

my experience with crashing is that you can talk/walk yourself through it 100 times but in real life when it happens, it happens so fast there isn't time to think about your hands or rolling or anything. youre like "save it save it save it" and youre thinknig about how you can save this, then the next thing you know you hit the ground and it feels like getting hit by a car, basically. you'll probably roll a little bit if you've got any speed at all gathered up, its really hard not to... the only way to stop yourself would be to stick our your limbs, which in a roll is prolly a good way to break em. If you can actually think during the slide (ie, if youre still sliding and your mind is clear enough to think about what to do) put your weight whereever you have the most armor... knuckles of gloves, boots, plastic elbow armor. whatever.

IMO the best way to plan through the crash is to dress for the crash. usually wearing gear won't cut it. I ALWAYS wear gear, and my one real bad lay down I was wearing T shirt and jeans and a helmet and gloves... I got tore up a bit, but if I hadn't had on helmet and gloves I would have been in the hospital for sure.
I usually keep my wallet and cell phone in a little triple tree bag. well the night I layed it down I landed on my chest and they were in my front pockets of my jeans...thankfully my krazr didn't break, but I still have big knots and dark tissue left over from bruises where my money clip hit my left leg and my cell phone my right leg, and my lay down was a long time ago.

My nike's wore through (wasn't wearing my boots) and I banged up my left ankle real bad (still is sore).

basically if I would have had my coat and boots on I would have prolly had no damage to me. now I have real nasty scars on my arms and my legs are still healing.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slow motion crash motorcycle crash test Txlonestar General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 12-22-2005 08:01 PM
Would this cause you crash also? Steve O Chap General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 11-07-2005 07:48 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2007, 01:28 AM   #62
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

welcome back thread, i didnt see you there.

as previously stated .. like 3 months ago when this thread was made.. I will totally give crashing lessons to anyone that wants them. and you can use my stunt bike. costs can be discussed for this class im PMs
Old 09-06-2007, 01:37 AM   #63
hypertrophyy

Bike(s):
07 600rr track

!

Last edited by hypertrophyy; 09-06-2007 at 01:39 AM. Reason: phone!
hypertrophyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:43 AM   #64
hypertrophyy

Bike(s):
07 600rr track

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschreck View Post
12 years of Downhill snow skiing all over the world and I still can't answer this question for you. Just happy I'm still alive but snow is easier to crash in than concrete or dirt. Everyone learns differently of course with SPEED & Gravity it take time. Always rotate the body towards your back facing the pavement trying to keep you arms and legs up. Back protectors are a must. Go water sking and wear the back protector, helmet and have the boat run 50-100mph. Let go of the rope as many times until you develop you own style.

There is a Technique. First you will have to learn to wash my bike. Then paint my house. Damnyouson
wtf.....lol!!
hypertrophyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:11 PM   #65
level5
moving chicane

What helps on the fall is losing all the excess weight. If you are light as a feather, you will land like one. Too much weight will guaranteed broken bones.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:26 PM   #66
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

So your saying the more you weight the harder you'll hit the ground?

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
What helps on the fall is losing all the excess weight. If you are light as a feather, you will land like one. Too much weight will guaranteed broken bones.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:28 PM   #67
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

there's truth to that. also the better shape your in the less minor injuries you'll sustain.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:32 PM   #68
andrave

I like to wrap myself in bubble wrap before I go for a ride.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:09 PM   #69
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear View Post
So your saying the more you weight the harder you'll hit the ground?

Haven't you heard the bigger they are the harder they fall?
Old 09-07-2007, 09:34 PM   #70
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 1-3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrave View Post
I like to wrap myself in bubble wrap before I go for a ride.
That might work. I need to find some bubble wrap first.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:38 AM   #71
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:

Haven't you heard the bigger they are the harder they fall?
Very true. There's a big difference between a 5'-8" 165# guy in good physical shape falling, compared to a 5'-8" 225# guy who's overweight and out of shape falling hard off a laydown. Then again, the same can be said when comparing the former to a 5'-8" 125# bony guy falling off at speed... chances are he'll break some bones, too!!

So it just comes down to... the better physical shape and condition you're in, the better you'll fare in a crash.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:52 PM   #72
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919 View Post
Very true. There's a big difference between a 5'-8" 165# guy in good physical shape falling, compared to a 5'-8" 225# guy who's overweight and out of shape falling hard off a laydown. Then again, the same can be said when comparing the former to a 5'-8" 125# bony guy falling off at speed... chances are he'll break some bones, too!!

So it just comes down to... the better physical shape and condition you're in, the better you'll fare in a crash.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:00 AM   #73
Urandaman

Bike(s):
2002 f4i

Send a message via AIM to Urandaman
just watch you tube on motorcycle wrecks/accidents where its ama and moto gp racers wrecking... and then watch the ones on the street. ha who ever gets up sooner.. crash like them
Urandaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:19 AM   #74
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

BTW, with all this said, it's not so much how to fall and position your body when or if you do crash in the streets. That's really the least of your worries. It's the other things you have to worry about... like concrete curbs, light poles, trees, other vehicles, etc. Those are the things that will really cause some serious bodily damage if your unlucky enough to have any of those in your line of trajectory, not so much the fall itself.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:11 AM   #75
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919 View Post
BTW, with all this said, it's not so much how to fall and position your body when or if you do crash in the streets. That's really the least of your worries. It's the other things you have to worry about... like concrete curbs, light poles, trees, other vehicles, etc. Those are the things that will really cause some serious bodily damage if your unlucky enough to have any of those in your line of trajectory, not so much the fall itself.
+1
that is why track is safer to go fast than on the street.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:21 AM   #76
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

who said anything about speeding on the street? why does it always come down to Track vs Street? I dont hate on track guys or Street Guys or guys that ride bicycles in the street. I dont understand how your comment is relavent. No one is asking how to plan a crash at 186mph on the street lets get back on topic and leave the track vs street debate on a different thread

Quote:
+1
that is why track is safer to go fast than on the street.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
Old 09-11-2007, 11:26 AM   #77
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

Quote:
who said anything about speeding on the street? why does it always come down to Track vs Street? I dont hate on track guys or Street Guys or guys that ride bicycles in the street. I dont understand how your comment is relavent. No one is asking how to plan a crash at 186mph on the street lets get back on topic and leave the track vs street debate on a different thread
because you have a lot more runoff on the track. it's plain and simple to see that it is safer to crash while attempting to "go fast" or even "go slow" on the track vs. the street.

if you crash on the street, there are backslopes of ditches, curbs, poles, trees, fire hydrants, cars and other vehicles, mailboxes, and this list can go on and on. I doubt he was saying track people are better, or even trying to stir up a debate.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:37 AM   #78
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Hmmm perhaps you did not see the seems like a lot of people wreck at the track. Now explain to me this runoff for these folks. Seems to me if your bike falls while you are in your driveway on the street or the track (with the runoff) its going to hurt. And each time you ride you face this risk dont matter if its on the street the track the backroads at a dealership on their slippery floors. so I say falling is all the same whereever you go so get over it.

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36484

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=33244

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas View Post
because you have a lot more runoff on the track. it's plain and simple to see that it is safer to crash while attempting to "go fast" or even "go slow" on the track vs. the street.

if you crash on the street, there are backslopes of ditches, curbs, poles, trees, fire hydrants, cars and other vehicles, mailboxes, and this list can go on and on. I doubt he was saying track people are better, or even trying to stir up a debate.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:55 AM   #79
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Send a message via AIM to Capafool Send a message via MSN to Capafool
Quote:
Hmmm perhaps you did not see the seems like a lot of people wreck at the track. Now explain to me this runoff for these folks. Seems to me if your bike falls while you are in your driveway on the street or the track (with the runoff) its going to hurt. And each time you ride you face this risk dont matter if its on the street the track the backroads at a dealership on their slippery floors. so I say falling is all the same whereever you go so get over it.

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36484

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=33244
You're definitely wrong about that last sentence. Its not the fall that hurts, its the impact. The falling can happen at anytime whether you're on street or track, that's definitely true and can't be denied. But would you rather slide and tumble and roll till you come to a stop? or would you rather slide and get stopped by slamming into a sidewalk or post or anyone of the things that you can slam into out on the street? If anyone still thinks it makes no difference, they're not very bright
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Capafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:01 PM   #80
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
At this speed on the street crashing will guaranteed to plan for a funeral.

Any suggestion on your part on falling besides nick picking what was said?

Advertisement