MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2007, 10:53 PM   #21
DANtheMan.
Chicks dig scars!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

06 crf250

Send a message via AIM to DANtheMan.
Prayer sent I paryed for all the riders in the world today in church. :notworthy

im just another NEWB SqUiDnAsTy...
DANtheMan. is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cop rear ends rider, then BLAMES the rider CTtriple General Discussion (Moto Related) 76 11-06-2013 10:09 AM
Rider hit by other rider - Video Inside Neon Samurai General Discussion (Moto Related) 52 07-31-2012 03:42 PM
Rider and co-rider down 290E & Barker Cypress jimrad General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 04-17-2011 12:17 AM
Rider Down on 242, report says inexperienced rider Davekg General Discussion (Moto Related) 94 03-24-2011 07:11 PM
Rider to Passenger/Other Rider Communication Pyrofallout General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 02-22-2008 09:38 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2007, 10:59 PM   #22
slim

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
03 R1
zx7r street fighter
95 shadow 1100

like the "cips" in a hat to pick who tows your no the cop dont feel the one that is all bet to and its just luck that Towing "Service" gets 85% of the accidents that the cop
slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:21 PM   #23
smash_57

Bike(s):
'04 Yamaha FZ-6

Send a message via Yahoo to smash_57
Hope your friend heals quick!

I have to say that I've never really had an awful experience with a wrecker driver. I even had one tow me off the freeway for free when my battery went dead at an accident scene - he had to tow another car to the gas station, drop it, come back for mine, take it to the station, jump it, then reload the other lady's car. He charged me 2 cigarettes. Of course - it probably helped that I used to be really hot :icon_bigg :laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6

I worked dispatch for a wrecker co. once too, but I don't think I really ever met any of the drivers - I worked the 2am-10am fri/sat night shifts, just told the guys where to go on the radio...

I guess I've been fortunate - but I do know plenty of people who were left wishin' they'd had vaseline after their towing experiences....
smash_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:23 PM   #24
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

I get solicited all the time by tow truck drivers, they always try to give officers their cards and try to bring you a bottle of liquor on christmas trying to win favor. The city has this pretty much regulated now. If officers are caught hooking up with tow truck drivers you can lose your job, definitely not worth it.

The county has hardly any regulations on wrecker driver. The police agencies in question also should do more to regulate wreckers on scene. Since Houston clamped down on them after Safeclear, they aren't really a problem anymore.

The vehicle owner has the right to tell where he wants his vehicle towed to, unless its being impounded for some type of investigation (homicides, burned vehicles, etc).
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:47 PM   #25
zero_cool

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k
I get solicited all the time by tow truck drivers, they always try to give officers their cards and try to bring you a bottle of liquor on christmas trying to win favor. The city has this pretty much regulated now. If officers are caught hooking up with tow truck drivers you can lose your job, definitely not worth it.

The county has hardly any regulations on wrecker driver. The police agencies in question also should do more to regulate wreckers on scene. Since Houston clamped down on them after Safeclear, they aren't really a problem anymore.

The vehicle owner has the right to tell where he wants his vehicle towed to, unless its being impounded for some type of investigation (homicides, burned vehicles, etc).
That Safeclear program is a crock of t. I was in a minor fender bender on 45 about a year ago and my car was perfectly capable of driving to the next exit to be towed by my inlaws body shop but the tow truck driver kept running his d!ck suckers to the cop saying how it wasn't safe, yet i managed to drive it about 50 yards to get it to a safe part of the shoulder with no problems. cop eventually gave in on account of my busted headlight. It was the middle of the day so I was like wtf? Anyhow, the vulture charged me $250 to hook on and drop my car off at a Wal-Mart which was less than 1/4 mile up the road. Thats just one of the many reasons cops and tow truck drivers and my favorite people in the whole wide world.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:53 PM   #26
andre3k
I see dead people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_cool
That Safeclear program is a crock of t. I was in a minor fender bender on 45 about a year ago and my car was perfectly capable of driving to the next exit to be towed by my inlaws body shop but the tow truck driver kept running his d!ck suckers to the cop saying how it wasn't safe, yet i managed to drive it about 50 yards to get it to a safe part of the shoulder with no problems. cop eventually gave in on account of my busted headlight. It was the middle of the day so I was like wtf? Anyhow, the vulture charged me $250 to hook on and drop my car off at a Wal-Mart which was less than 1/4 mile up the road. Thats just one of the many reasons cops and tow truck drivers and my favorite people in the whole wide world.

Yeah, you probably got jimmied with no lube on that one.

But then again I get raped by Texaco, Chevron, Citgo, and Exxon every week and always come back looking for more.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:54 PM   #27
zero_cool

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k
Yeah, you probably got jimmied with no lube on that one.

But then again I get raped by Texaco, Chevron, Citgo, and Exxon every week and always come back looking for more.
:laughing6
ima buy a hybrid if these prices keep up
Old 05-06-2007, 11:58 PM   #28
aznhero913
J.D.

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 CBR600rr
2005 R6 (bye baby)
1992 Yamaha Seca (1st one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain
i've witnessed 3 accidents in front of my shop....and everytime, i hear those tow guys sweet talk them into letting them tow their car.....the same ol' everytime....."oh my , that's a terrible accident, are you okay?....well, if you will allow me, i'll take your car over to this shop and we'll take care of everything. you won't pay a dime, your/their insurance will take care of it all, you just cheer up, everything will be okay".

most people don't know that, insurance will only pay up to a maximum of $300 or so....and the insured person is responsible for the difference. so when these guys charge you $1,000 to tow it 10 miles....guess who's actually getting taken care of? they are, by you. guess what happens if you don't like the shop they take your car to? storage and administration fees up the wazooo.

sorrry for the rant.

i know exactly what your talkn bout, my ex almost got rapped by this hick couple. The wife was telln my ex "its ok dear dont worry, are you ok?, insurance will handle it". ****n cops called that tower & waived off the tow truck AAA called for me. Tony contact the district attorny and have him file charges against the cop & the tow truck driver for denying you your rights(by not letting you choose a location or a tower) next get a hold of that bastards sargent or his supervisor and file a report and throw a fit in his office. This type of behavior is not acceptable.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:03 AM   #29
andre3k
I see dead people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznhero913
next get a hold of that bastards sargent or his supervisor and file a report and throw in his office.
Wow, tony post pics of when you do that one plz!
Old 05-07-2007, 12:10 AM   #30
Red

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Scot
I HATE TOW TRUCK DRIVERS - THEY ARE SCUM AND THE VULTURES OF SOCIETY.

My brother's friend had his daughter killed as a wrecker was speeding to an accident for a pick-up. It's disgusting how they conduct business and sure we all need to make a living but, we can also work/study a little harder to make a better living than taking advantage of others!!!
I know a few tow truck drivers myself and I agree to an extent that they do some very shady stuff to make a living. But when they are called out to an accident most calls are 10-15 minute calls, and if they are not there in that time they do not get included in the chip in to get a chance for that tow. That time limit is not decided by the tow drivers but by the city and law enforcment agency on the scene. does not make it right for them to take chances and take lives by causeing another accident trying to get there but who is going to put the food on there table.
Tow drivers do try to sweet talk the drivers involved in the accident to say that they requested them to tow there vehicle because if the owner of the vehicle request a specific tow service the law enforcment will let that company have the tow without having to chip for it.
Best bet have a buddy who is a tow truck driver and keep his card close by.
you will be glad you did
Old 05-07-2007, 03:47 AM   #31
aznhero913
J.D.

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 CBR600rr
2005 R6 (bye baby)
1992 Yamaha Seca (1st one)

lol, sorry i meant fit, not . DO NOT throw in the guys office, throw a FIT. that would suck if i get on mh tomm. and there's a new thread about you goin to jail for throw stuff in a police station.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:50 AM   #32
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Tony,
Sorry to hear about the drama.
I would definitely file a report with the officers Sergeant as well as use the link TRD gave you.

As far as the tow scum, unfortunately they are regulated by the Texas Railroad Commission.
You can and should file a report, but I would not expect too much out of it.

BTW who went down and how's he doing?

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:38 AM   #33
buddha429
Reformed Track Addict

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
at the junkyard

it was his sister's ex-boyfriend. tony said he wasn't doing too bad.
buddha429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:30 AM   #34
Knightrider

Bike(s):
2006 R6 Blue

Send a message via Yahoo to Knightrider
ok ok ok, i know im goin to get for this BUT...

first and for most not all wrecker drivers are like that (just like not all bikers run from the cops) the biggest thing is that wrecker drivers in the city are totally different than the ones in the county. for example: in the city there is not to be no more than 4 wreckers per accident unless more than 4 are needed...where as the county you can have as many as 14 or more for one car. if you sign a ticket (not the police tow slip) make sure there is a price first, other wise you will get screwed.

as for safe-clear, my friend you got fooked...either the guy that towed your car was not a safe-clear wrecker or he didnt call it in. if you got a copy of the reciept is there a 6 didget authorization number on the ticket. a wrecker driver CANNOT charge more than 134.50 for a tow that is part of an accident, blocking a moving lane, a police tow, or u want him to take it somewhere besides the first exit/gas station unless its over 20 miles then its 3 dollars a mile. if its a break down on the shoulder its free to first exit/gas station within 3 miles.

for the guy with the damaged radiator, good luck gettin them to take care of it.

for the guy that almost got charged 200 just to drop the car. great job at standin your ground, if you come out and catch the wrecker leavin with your car they have to drop it for HALF the tow bill (68 or so in the city and 75 or so in the county)

i know i have missed some stuff, but i also know i will be gettin questions and disagreements so brign it on lol. just remember that if it is an owners consent tow and you dont check to see what the price is before you sign the tow slip then be prepared to get screwed...especially in the county. thats not that much of a problem in the city because of regulations.

need a wrecker send me a message to get a number, i wont screw you over either. for example i will tow a bike and only charge enough to put gas in the truck (startin out, depends on how far you wanna go)
Knightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:37 AM   #35
RGHNCKTXN
Black and Red R1

Bike(s):
03 R1

Send a message via AIM to RGHNCKTXN
MAN that sux HOP... Hope your friend is doin good.. There is def. something goin on.. when Pester went down on 149 they wanted a tow truck to get it.. i told the cop my wife was on her way from conroe to get his bike. and they were like np. and left.. dunno y the trooper was an .. Fight the Man!

g luck bud..
RGHNCKTXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:50 AM   #36
Knightrider

Bike(s):
2006 R6 Blue

oh one more thing...the only time a cop can step in and say where to take the car is if the owner can't come up with an address for where the car is to be towed (at least in the city anyway) but he cant say take it to abc bodyshop...it goes to the storage lot. gotta have the address of where it gets towed so that he can put it in his report.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:53 AM   #37
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider
ok ok ok, i know im goin to get for this BUT...

first and for most not all wrecker drivers are like that (just like not all bikers run from the cops) the biggest thing is that wrecker drivers in the city are totally different than the ones in the county. for example: in the city there is not to be no more than 4 wreckers per accident unless more than 4 are needed...where as the county you can have as many as 14 or more for one car. if you sign a ticket (not the police tow slip) make sure there is a price first, other wise you will get screwed.

as for safe-clear, my friend you got fooked...either the guy that towed your car was not a safe-clear wrecker or he didnt call it in. if you got a copy of the reciept is there a 6 didget authorization number on the ticket. a wrecker driver CANNOT charge more than 134.50 for a tow that is part of an accident, blocking a moving lane, a police tow, or u want him to take it somewhere besides the first exit/gas station unless its over 20 miles then its 3 dollars a mile. if its a break down on the shoulder its free to first exit/gas station within 3 miles.

for the guy with the damaged radiator, good luck gettin them to take care of it.

for the guy that almost got charged 200 just to drop the car. great job at standin your ground, if you come out and catch the wrecker leavin with your car they have to drop it for HALF the tow bill (68 or so in the city and 75 or so in the county)

i know i have missed some stuff, but i also know i will be gettin questions and disagreements so brign it on lol. just remember that if it is an owners consent tow and you dont check to see what the price is before you sign the tow slip then be prepared to get screwed...especially in the county. thats not that much of a problem in the city because of regulations.

need a wrecker send me a message to get a number, i wont screw you over either. for example i will tow a bike and only charge enough to put gas in the truck (startin out, depends on how far you wanna go)

Cowboy wrecker drivers really me off --
Glad to see that the ones on MH are upstanding ^

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #38
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

Trackdays: 10+

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
good info knightrider,

I got one that will top all of your f@#$in's.
One of my drivers parked his 18 wheeler and a wrecker broke into it and stole the thing and drove it back to the wrecker yard. Then sent us a bill for $1250 for "towing" it about 5 miles. How do I know the guy broke into it you say, because my driver tried to catch the Sum but the guy got away and almost wrecked his trying to flee.
We filed a complaint with some dept. that the cops refferred us to, but never heard anything back on it.
Thats how the system works though.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:01 AM   #39
Knightrider

Bike(s):
2006 R6 Blue

ya heavy duty is a totally different story...lets hope (for more than one reason) that no one decides to go into a bayou cuz heavy duty charges like 240 an hour with a 2 hour minimum.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:25 AM   #40
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

"As far as the tow scum, unfortunately they are regulated by the Texas Railroad Commission.
You can and should file a report, but I would not expect too much out of it."

Hey Patrick, check out that PDF document I linked earlier, I thought I recalled something about the Sheriff dept playing some part in regards to licensing... it might make more sense to you than me.

Advertisement